FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Death of lol

drunkfun
Seriously, i've been a regular on the net for a long time, from ICQ, to MSN to IRC chatrooms and now Forums, and i'd just like to say that i really hate lol (laugh out loud) coz it's just so freagin lame. It seriously doesn't seem like something is funny.

If you say the word 'lol' out loud (no puns), it doesn't sound funny at all. It sounds like you've swallowed a tennis ball and you're trying to comunicate.

What the hell is wrong with 'Hahahahaha'???

At least it's what Laughter sounds like, and you can always determine the funniness factor by either increasing the number of Ha's or reverting to capitals (HAHAHA) which means you're in hysterics.

So i say, let's get rid of the seriously freagin loserish LOL for good
onyx
LOL at your post.
U sure you on forums and all that for a long time. then you should know why lol is better then hahahahahahah
tidruG
Well, to put it in short, lol is shorter than HA HA HA. Besides, lol can be used as a substitute for a grin, or when you simple find something amusing. Ha Ha Ha, on the other hand, takes a lot more time to write, is not as easy on the eyes as a simple lol, and sounds far too much like you're really laughing really loud. lol on the other hand is used a lot informally... "I hate ate my pet kitten. It was made of chocolate. lol", and not "I just swallowed the noogie I was getting reddy to spit. HA HA HA" See? Wink
S3nd K3ys
LoL.

You funny guy. Very Happy
DJGuardy
I think we should just all respond with LOL....lol.....hahahaha....ok there's a bit of both...you happy?
Dustwars9
I see your point how lol doesn't seem funny. lol is a lot shorter than hahaha and i think none of them make you hear someone laughing. maybe in the future you could move your mouse over lol and hear someone laughing but today we will just have to read short words that don't have puns.
Gerardus™
Lol is also a word in the netherlands,meaning"having fun"
eg: Hij heeft lol met haar= He is having fun with her.
So as a dutchman it's not really weird or not funny, cuz we even say lol,when we find something funny. But maybe you think all dutch people are weird anyways Wink ...
And then again.. maybe we are Exclamation Cool Very Happy
php_wizard_l33t
LOL @ your post. LOL is sooo much easier to use than HA HA HA, as many people have said. I have been using lol for a long time.. for almost 8 years.. I won't switch back over because some guy on the internet wants me to. Evil or Very Mad
myrevolt
Yeah there is this whole debate, but really I say if you don't like it then go * urslef. Here's an article (more a rant) I found, and have in my AIM profile as I speak: http://www.pointsincase.com/im_golden_rules.htm
onyx
lol
jveezy
Is it that big a deal to type HAHAHA or maybe even [gasp] HAHA to show someone that you're laughing? When people say "lol", are they really laughing out loud or do they just find something amusing?
Kit
I totally agree with you about the overuse of internet shorthand in forums and games and such. Yes in a live scenario it DOES NOT MATTER! But in a forum situation such as this one, you have to be careful with what you write as it is stored away, not to mention indexed by google.

However saying "HaHaHa" not only takes a long time to right but sounds as if you are being arrogant and sarcastic.

Is it so much trouble when writing lol to add a : and a : at either end? It would make the entire forum look much better.

Quote:
lol

Quote:
Laughing
eggtart
funny idea~ Laughing
though "lol" is not popular among my friends.
twisthigh
simple, lol is so much shorter, as for your theory that you can't express just how funny something is, if it's very funny, we can also use capitals (LOL) and even resort to the lmao (laughing my a$$ off!) hahahahaha just take too much time, it's practically longer than writing that was funny.... So to sum up I'm all in favor of the lol, the lmao, and even the he,he but not the hahahaha... no offence bud, it's all in good humor!! Very Happy
sky
lol is ofcourse much more shorter and easier to type..
drunkfun
don't even get me started on lmao.

Geese, Quote - "I hate ate my pet kitten. It was made of chocolate. lol"

if you can't even type a sentence, then i guess you would need to use 'lol'
tidruG
drunkfun wrote:
don't even get me started on lmao.

Geese, Quote - "I hate ate my pet kitten. It was made of chocolate. lol"

if you can't even type a sentence, then i guess you would need to use 'lol'

Ah... I meant to type "just"... don't know how I ended up typing "hate" Question I thought most people would accept that as a typo and move on Wink

Oh, by the way, when you write "i", it should be written "I". When you start a sentence, start it with a capital letter "Don't even get me started on lmao." and "If you can't even type a sentence, then I guess you would need to use "lol"."

And generally, it is accepted the world over that "Geese" is the plural of "Goose", and generally when you want to type an exclamation of impatience/exasperation, we use "Geez" Wink

Not that I'm picking on you... just want you to see that it's rather easy to make mistakes while typing. Very Happy
SeoJi
I always saw 'lol' as a way to show the other person that you enjoyed what the other person was saying and not just laughter. Though I do agree that internet talk in general is annoying, 'lol' saves a few seconds and doesn't look as lame as 'hahaha'. I am more partial to text smilies, such as "XD". Whatever floats your boat.
boringest
thought lol could sometimes be sarcastic too when some ppl like to use it at the end of a sentence...don't u think?
SeoJi
Sometimes, though only time I REALLY use it, is when I'm in chatrooms and everyone is syaing the lamest stuff, so you just respond with lol every so often to show them your still alive. It's quite handy, I don't even have to read the conversation and I know lol will fit into soemthing someone said. As for sarcasm, I guess you could, but it's hard to interpret sarcasm with just lol. Unless you make it painfully obvious.
mOrpheuS
tidruG wrote:
drunkfun wrote:
<rant>

<counter-rant>
it's rather easy to make mistakes while typing. Very Happy

Precisely. It's easy to make mistakes while typing on a forum.
I, for one, sometimes feel too lazy to go back and correct a typo, even if I notice one, if the message is not getting distorted completely due to it.
Typos on chats and forums do not generate compilation errors. Rolling Eyes

And hey ! that's also the precise reason why "lol" was invented.
For lazy internet users.

Imagine this...
Jack & Jill (those names obviously bear no intentional resemblance to any real/fictitious character) are a young-couple completely mad in love with each other.
One fine day, they are chatting (lol hasn't been invented yet)
The following is the chat-log.

Jill - Hey guess what ? I'm eating popcorn !
Jack - I wish you to always stay as happy as that popcorn makes you now.
<......>
Jill - Inform me Jack, about the extent to which you love me ?
Jack - Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much.
Jill - Sad Am I to understand that that is all ?
Jack - No that is not all, I am unable to fully express my love as most of the "i"s are just playing hide and seek with each other.
Jill - HA HA HA A H AA ACK...
Jill is now offline

Now poor Jack is worrying about Jill as he fears the worst. He thinks he made her laugh while she was eating popcorn and that she might have choked on it. He blames himself for it and jumps off the building...
Meanwhile,

Jill is now online
Jack is now dead
Jill is dead too

What a tragedy... Boo hoo!
Whereas, that was clearly a typo, and a bad dial-up internet connection.

If only "lol" had been invented.
This is how the chat would have gone.

Jill - ppcrn here.
Jack - gr8
<......>
Jill - Jck, hw mch u lv me
Jack - looooooot.
Jill - Sad tht's all ?
Jack - nope. mny o's r jst plyin hid & ck.
Jill - lol
Jill is now happy
Jack is now happy

And they lived happily ever after...all thanks to "lol" Dancing

p.s. - not to mention the enormous amount of bandwidth saved.
The money they save on internet usage today would be used for better education of their kids tomorrow.
tidruG
mOrpheuS wrote:
tidruG wrote:
drunkfun wrote:
<rant>

<counter-rant>
it's rather easy to make mistakes while typing. Very Happy

Precisely. It's easy to make mistakes while typing on a forum.
I, for one, sometimes feel too lazy to go back and correct a typo, even if I notice one, if the message is not getting distorted completely due to it.
Typos on chats and forums do not generate compilation errors. Rolling Eyes

And hey ! that's also the precise reason why "lol" was invented.
For lazy internet users.

Imagine this...
Jack & Jill (those names obviously bear no intentional resemblance to any real/fictitious character) are a young-couple completely mad in love with each other.
One fine day, they are chatting (lol hasn't been invented yet)
The following is the chat-log.

Jill - Hey guess what ? I'm eating popcorn !
Jack - I wish you to always stay as happy as that popcorn makes you now.
<......>
Jill - Inform me Jack, about the extent to which you love me ?
Jack - Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much.
Jill - Sad Am I to understand that that is all ?
Jack - No that is not all, I am unable to fully express my love as most of the "i"s are just playing hide and seek with each other.
Jill - HA HA HA A H AA ACK...
Jill is now offline

Now poor Jack is worrying about Jill as he fears the worst. He thinks he made her laugh while she was eating popcorn and that she might have choked on it. He blames himself for it and jumps off the building...
Meanwhile,

Jill is now online
Jack is now dead
Jill is dead too

What a tragedy... Boo hoo!
Whereas, that was clearly a typo, and a bad dial-up internet connection.

If only "lol" had been invented.
This is how the chat would have gone.

Jill - ppcrn here.
Jack - gr8
<......>
Jill - Jck, hw mch u lv me
Jack - looooooot.
Jill - Sad tht's all ?
Jack - nope. mny o's r jst plyin hid & ck.
Jill - lol
Jill is now happy
Jack is now happy

And they lived happily ever after...all thanks to "lol" Dancing

p.s. - not to mention the enormous amount of bandwidth saved.
The money they save on internet usage today would be used for better education of their kids tomorrow.

Holy ____! That was an awesome reply. I couldn't stop myself from pressing the quote button and having to say that it was awesome.
mceejaydee
I just thought of something. How about "hhh" = hahaha. simple short and straight to the point Laughing
MistaKiula
You know what? I think of it this way:
- hahahaha
- lol
- LOL
- lmao
- LMAO
- rofl

i think of it that way.. i dunno if many of u do the same.. what i'm saying is.. both 'haha' and 'lol' is used in general chatting x.x so lets get over it haha..
Harrowed
And the all famouse

ROFLMAO!
frozenhead
Oh.. "LOL". Uhm.. I can't see the what's the point having this discussion.. Sorry if I'm that mean... You see... Ok.. maybe we can say its an overused linggo.. if we say it like that.. can we just include here the others like...

ASL?
CTC?
BTW...
BRB..

and the like?... My point is, c'mon... is a way for others to express what they feel and there should be nothing to question about... and ... I think there's no problem to that..
drunkfun
Yeah typing erros are common, i was just havin fun with you.

and remember.....

drunkfun
ohhh yeah, wasting posts so i can keep my account.
Caxius
what's "rofl"? hahahahahahahhahahaha? Confused
budazz
you dont like lol

ok..............

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

i think i laugh to hard................ Laughing
Nameless
Rolling On (the) Floor Laughing.

Also, lol is FAR quicker to type and read than Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-hee-hee-hee-heh.

It's kind of funny though, since lol is practically a word itself it is used so much. If I'm reading a post or something out loud, I'll say 'lol' not 'laugh out loud', whereas things like WTF or OMG I will read out fully.

LOL at this topic.
RosenCruz
I ll use lol ... look I use .. Laughing
criticaldensity
lol, I try not to use it anymore as I am sick of it and it seemed to have lost its effect..

haha, isn't much better tho....
psycosquirrel
I will now discontinue the use of "Lol."
snowboardalliance
Why have no mods just closed this? It's just turning into a spam thread really.

But anyway, I think that forums look a lot more professional with good grammer and spelling, and not using internet shorthands. Example: http://lifelesspeople.com/forum/index.php

They have strict rules on posts and it really helps. I think lol is best for instant messages, where they are only read for a short time, but lol should be used less on forums. Just an opinion, although I do use lol at times.

Oh and moderators:
Quote:
ohhh yeah, wasting posts so i can keep my account.
grief
I don't like acronyms, especially those that are just a bunch of letters together. I don't like saying acronyms in the form of letter letter letter, but rather as a single word. That is, lol instead of el oh el. All in all, it doesn't really matter, use whatever you feel like using.
criticaldensity
i swear to god i really laughed out loud when I read the opening post. Its serious, but rediculous at the same time. Good topic Smile
HA!!
criticaldensity
this is absolutely the best topic ive ever read in any forum anyway. Smile It really is humorous seeing you people talk about this. I lost it when someone said " and dont get me started about lmao" HA!!!! too damn funny
My friends know that when i use HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA in an email that ive truly laughed out loud. When I use haha, its a polite laugh. Not really funny, but I acknowledge that theyve made an effort to be funny. HA!! i use ... hmmm... when I dont really laugh out loud but truly find humor in it, Its not the same as polite haha.

good grief!!! we are idiots Very Happy
Emo_Core
drunkfun wrote:
Seriously, i've been a regular on the net for a long time, from ICQ, to MSN to IRC chatrooms and now Forums, and i'd just like to say that i really hate lol (laugh out loud) coz it's just so freagin lame. It seriously doesn't seem like something is funny.

If you say the word 'lol' out loud (no puns), it doesn't sound funny at all. It sounds like you've swallowed a tennis ball and you're trying to comunicate.

At least it's what Laughter sounds like, and you can always determine the funniness factor by either increasing the number of Ha's or reverting to capitals (HAHAHA) which means you're in hysterics.

you can change the funniness factor of lol by going LOL! or ROFL! or ROFLMAO!!!! or even ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111one
gonzo
drunkfun wrote:
IRC chatrooms

IRCC? heh

Quote:

sheer sloth.

Quote:
let's get rid of the seriously freagin loserish LOL for good

How are you going to break it to him:

Laughing

Smiley unemployment is not a pretty sight.
sibbahz
Lol is just like msn shorthand, takes a lot less time to type than HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA i think
And no i dont say LOL in real life
100th post Smile
drunkfun
damn straight
silvermesh
Gerardus™ wrote:
Lol is also a word in the netherlands,meaning"having fun"
eg: Hij heeft lol met haar= He is having fun with her.
So as a dutchman it's not really weird or not funny, cuz we even say lol,when we find something funny. But maybe you think all dutch people are weird anyways Wink ...
And then again.. maybe we are Exclamation Cool Very Happy

Really? you think maybe the acronym grew out of americans misunderstanding an english speaking dutchman mixxing some native dialect in with his chatting? Wink

snowboardalliance wrote:
But anyway, I think that forums look a lot more professional with good grammer and spelling, and not using internet shorthands.

in that case... grammar doesn't have an "e" in it, and never start a sentence with a conjunction.. Laughing

Seriously, though, I don't think LoL is a real problem, though I do think acronyms get way out of hand at times. Sometimes I just have to pull one out that doesn't mean anything and see how long it takes for people to go "wtf?"
Kd527
LOL at everyone. What a funny topic. hehehe haha lol
TimsJugling
lol

lol is better then hahaha or whatever.
its shorter and can be used for more things then ha ha ha.
lbs
LOL will not die, it is a less "teen style" way of laughing on the 'net. HAHAHA just makes me think of wackey 16 year old girls pretending they are bigger than they are! LOL!!!
budazz
lol...lol...lol....

im happy today...so lol lol lol lol lol

very easy to type...lol lol lol

very short lol lol lol

i love this game lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

funny huh... lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol Laughing Laughing
Nameless
lbs wrote:
LOL will not die, it is a less "teen style" way of laughing on the 'net. HAHAHA just makes me think of wackey 16 year old girls pretending they are bigger than they are! LOL!!!

I disagree. Lol can be used by anyone of any age. Lol is a universal term. If you had to pick one word to represent the whole www, it would be lol.
windrei
drunkfun wrote:

thank you for your long explanation about lol.... actually i have been on the net for long period of time, but i still don't know what does this sign mean....

i only used "hahahahahha"

hahahahahha~~~
drunkfun
well im glad everyone has shared their opinions. But hear me now, if i ever meet anyone in real life who uses the word Lol in a normal sentence while communicating verbally, i'll smack them repeatedly until the goddamn word leaks out the back of their head.
Nameless
drunkfun wrote:
well im glad everyone has shared their opinions. But hear me now, if i ever meet anyone in real life who uses the word Lol in a normal sentence while communicating verbally, i'll smack them repeatedly until the goddamn word leaks out the back of their head.

LOL, I hope I never meet you in real life. I've said lol in real speach twice already today, and it's 9 o'clock in the morning where I am.
woodruffs
I hate how so many people use "lol" when they don't even laugh out loud. It's become so impersonal.
mele
lol...well, I used to use it so much in my IRCing days, I lost the count how many times I actually SAID "lol" when something is funny, instad of laughing, and then I would laught even more at myself. I guess lol is just easy, way easier then hahahahaha
the666bbq
you wanker .. where would we be without LOL, roflol, lolz,... we all wanted to be small text addicts (sms, chat, forum,....) but we have to have some way to mimic feelings without throwing these guys all the time Cool

the lol for itself is not supposed to be funny, more even it is not allowed to be funny -> what will happen if the LOL is funnier than the phrase or situation you score the LOL on .... you loose all certainties in life

so deal with it
Doerak
I use lol like it should be used, only when you're really laughing out loud, not when im amused, and not when I laugh quitlly or normally.

I suggest the following should be used:

^^ = amused
hehe = laughing quitlly/normally

p.s. Doesn't any of you feel kind of weird when you hear some one say "lol" (like a word) in real life. I think it means that person is spending too much time on the net.
troopermarbo
i agree... "lol" is used tooo much. i mean cmon im talking to my friend on aim and "lol" wsa once said after i said "whats up" then the other person is like "lol nothing" i mean cmon thats rediculous. i hate it, people need to die who say that.
Shadow
drunkfun wrote:

The only time I actually laugh is when I type lmao or lmfao. Lol is just something everybody says, most of the time people aren't even laughing. When I say hahahah, it usually means I'm being sarcastic, and it's usually the same for most of my friends. Lol to me and my friends is just a way to show that we are listening, but don't have any other response.
Motoracer380
yeah LOL is overused haha. i've heard some people actually saying the words lol.
dan751
lo.. I mean hahahah. That's pretty funny, If it is to die then it is to die, but if it can live, then it will live.
niagarasoup
personally, i like "hehe" a lot...it's my online "laugh" that shows sarcasm
drunkfun
the666bbq wrote:
you wanker .. where would we be without LOL, roflol, lolz,... we all wanted to be small text addicts (sms, chat, forum,....) but we have to have some way to mimic feelings without throwing these guys all the time Cool

the lol for itself is not supposed to be funny, more even it is not allowed to be funny -> what will happen if the LOL is funnier than the phrase or situation you score the LOL on .... you loose all certainties in life

so deal with it

call me a wanker to my face and i'll engrave those magical 3 letters into your eye-lids
matjash
when I'm just smililng I write lol, when I'm really laugning I'm increasing 0's in l"0"l like -

LooooooooooooooooL
ocalhoun
Most of theese abbriviations are that way, it's just a part of communication on the internet
Melacos
Well as it is these days, LOL has more or less been pushed aside again. At least that's the way I interpret the on-goings on the net. HAHAHA on the other hand is something that was, and now again, can be said to work. It's a more direct replica of what's going on in the spoken language, and therefore something that is not as easy to just replace. LOL is a short and quick way of communicating more or less the same thing, but obviously in a more popular and fashionable way. This also explains the higher risk it has for being replaced by something else, that is (more or less by chance) becoming the hip thing...
ankitdatashn
onyx wrote:
LOL at your post.
U sure you on forums and all that for a long time. then you should know why lol is better then hahahahahahah

Ohh man, now that's a reply that is as precise as it can get. Terse and hit right in the bulls eye.

Hope the topic started got the answer.

LOL's from me too! [Very Happy]
crimson_aria
I can't remember when I satrted using lol but ever since I learned what it is I've been using it cause it's so much easier to type than a tons of hahahahaha.
carlospro7
I get that lol is easier and quicker to say than hahaha, but I like hahahaha.... better than lol.
With lol you can't really express how hard you are laughing, because according to it you are always laughing out loud, which just isn't true. Most of the time I chuckle. In which case 'haha' is just as easy as 'lol'
hamza1122
lol.

People use lol because it's faster than typing hahahahahaha and its more meaningful...or something. anywayz you only use lol on the internet you don't say it out loud in real life bro. that's just sad ><"
Arty
Lol doesn't really sound like a laugh nowadays, it sounds more like an acknowledgement. :S
ankitdatashn
I was just passing by, thought another LOL might make thread starter happy!, LOLZ , hehehe.......oops I completed his wish by saying HEHE....LOLZ....now thats called recursion!
polly-gone
I always use "hahaha", "hehehe", or if I am in a good mood "teehee". I hate "lol" too. Its way overused.

Btw, lolz @ ur post lollerskates roflcopter.

-Nick Smile Smile Smile
erlendhg
drunkfun wrote:

First, I must say I find that funny. I can very easily understand your frustrations over 'lol',
since it has been used and over-used and mis-used over and over again, way too many times.

I sometimes feel that the acronym for 'laughing out loud' is the very root to an Internet culture that I despise.

Then again, I sometimes find myself using it, which, I must say, does annoy me slightly.
But then I realise that the few times I tend to use 'lol', I use it not as a remark to show that something is funny,
but on the other hand as a sarcastic comment to express that I find this something silly in a not-funny way.

Also, to your suggestion of writing hahaha in upper-case,
I just have to say that from my own experience,
I see that some people tend to mislike forum posts containing words in capital letters Razz

Also, what maybe should be debated, since we first have started is the use of smilies (^)
Radar
I think it's still a handy shortcut. It only gets confusing when I start parsing it as it it's really being said aloud.
kriszara
It works because some things just make you chuckle...hah
and some make you actually laugh out loud while reading it...LOL
People just overuse it.
watersoul
I use LOL only really when something actually does make me laugh out loud, and in a chat sometimes I do when whoever I'm chatting with comes back with a fast funny line/comment Smile
guth75
Personally, I think HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Sounds annoying. Why hate lol, I mean it is over-used, but when you type it, you are most likely to not be laughing out loud.
guissmo
I say lol out loud instead of a pity laugh whenever someone attempts to make me laugh.
Pronounced "LAW-L".
TurtleShell
This is one of the most bizarre threads. LOL is pretty annoying, as are the alternatives like LMAO. I find ha! to be relatively acceptable, but am more annoyed by hahahaha, though I don't know why one would be deterred from that out of sheer laziness--it's actually one of the easier things to type since H is simple enough--your right pointer finger--and A is as easy, placed beneath your left pinky. pointer-pinky-pointer-pinky...that's pretty easy to type. hahaha is more problematic and less worthwhile when texting. at any rate, if I'm laughing I usually actually go to the trouble of saying it--I'll say "that's hilarious" or i'll even say when I'm laughing...but not use an acronym because I find them asinine.
TomS
@drunkfun: A guy who writes 'coz' instead of 'because' shouldn't complain about 'lol' Rolling Eyes
TurtleShell
TomS wrote:
@drunkfun: A guy who writes 'coz' instead of 'because' shouldn't complain about 'lol' Rolling Eyes

this is true.
Bikerman
Time to close this thread - Bikerman