FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Your Computer Has Recovered From A Serious Error! What?





ajm71
Ok all you frihosters, computer ninjas, and eggheads!....here is my problem. My computer will restart when it wants to. It is that simple, I can be in the middle of a program or internet or not doing anything with it and it will shut down and restart all by its self. Any ideas? Its an eMachine and I run Windows XP on it. Other than that nothing special. Let me know what you think.
Diablosblizz
Could be a virus shutting down your computer. Go into Safe Mode and do a scan with your normal anti-virus that you have installed.

If you don't have any anti-viruses then you should check out some of the free ones. I use AVG, so you can google that and download it for free from Grisofts site.
KHO
Could be any number of things. Does it run through the typical shutdown procedure? (eg: it shows the "Now logging off/shutting down" screens and closes programs to do so.) Or does it simply power off?
ssthanapati
Looks more like ram problem if u r getting blue screens more often.

If u think u r capable check ur ram or else get some 1 to check it for u.
ajm71
Thanks for the ideas. I don't know how to check ram. I run Norton continuously so I don't think it is a virus. KHO. . .the computer does not do the log off thing, it just shuts down and restarts.
Diablosblizz
What ssthanapati means is that to possibly buy more ram. S/he (I apologize for the gender mix up) is basically saying to check what type of ram you have and to upgrade.

As for the log off thing. It should do this after you tell it to shutdown:

1. Your desktop goes away, bringing you to the login screen.
2. It says: "Saving your settings."
3. It changes, now saying: "Shutting down computer..." (or something..)

If that doesn't happen then something is wrong with your version of Windows. Try reformating your machine and reinstalling Windows.
Jaspa
Hi,

I think I'm right in saying that when you frist power on your machine the Bios run a 'Power on self test' or something like that. While doing this test it does automaticaly checks that the Ram is ok.

As far as re-installing windows gos, it might be worth trying a repair from the windows disk first.

Put in the windows disk (boot from cd). Once the files have loaded it will ask if you wish to repair the current installation. Wink
FunDa
Hey, I have a similar problem too..



The computer just resets (powers off without shutdown) and starts again.

Quite a few times it has happened after it goes into sleep mode and I move the mouse to wake it up.

Some times it does it automatically for example when I was watching a long movie - it reset 4 times.

I also sometimes get a beep from the CPU - nothing happens, just the mouse freezes for a second


It is an AMD processor on Gigabyte motherboard with Windows XP sp2
ajm71
Glad to see that I am not alone on this. Confused Unfortunately I dont think I have the boot disk. Sad Oh well! Anymore ideas?
FunDa
Ha !! My computer got the missing symptom too !!!
Now, besides all the beeping and resetting, it also shows "Your Computer Has Recovered From A Serious Error!"

I guess we are in the same boat now Crying or Very sad
misterXY
ajm71 wrote:
Thanks for the ideas. I don't know how to check ram. I run Norton continuously so I don't think it is a virus. KHO. . .the computer does not do the log off thing, it just shuts down and restarts.

well if ur not playin online, not doing anything online, shut off norton and other internet based junk & check ur RAM. also do what the others said, run AVG safe boot etc... Also could be a video card issue
misterXY
FunDa wrote:
Hey, I have a similar problem too..



The computer just resets (powers off without shutdown) and starts again.

Quite a few times it has happened after it goes into sleep mode and I move the mouse to wake it up.

Some times it does it automatically for example when I was watching a long movie - it reset 4 times.

I also sometimes get a beep from the CPU - nothing happens, just the mouse freezes for a second


It is an AMD processor on Gigabyte motherboard with Windows XP sp2


yeah... well that sounds like overheating.... try SHUTTING OFF the pc for the night instead... also look at ur HEATSINK and fans, check the condition Smile
Animal
The beeping noises could indicate problems with your RAM or motherboard. If it powers-down without any warning it's possibly a problem with your power supply - I had this with my old PC where the power supply was overheating. Try checking the supply's cooling fan to see if it's clogged up with dust or anything else. If so, try cleaning it (when it's switched off, of course Wink ) and trying again.
FunDa
misterXY wrote:
FunDa wrote:
Hey, I have a similar problem too..



The computer just resets (powers off without shutdown) and starts again.

Quite a few times it has happened after it goes into sleep mode and I move the mouse to wake it up.

Some times it does it automatically for example when I was watching a long movie - it reset 4 times.

I also sometimes get a beep from the CPU - nothing happens, just the mouse freezes for a second


It is an AMD processor on Gigabyte motherboard with Windows XP sp2


yeah... well that sounds like overheating.... try SHUTTING OFF the pc for the night instead... also look at ur HEATSINK and fans, check the condition Smile



The temperature shown in the BIOS seems to be normal .

It did the same thing again, after a long time of being turned off - I had set it to go into sleep mode when I left it for a few minutes, when I moved the mouse after that, it reset instead of waking up Confused
misterXY
FunDa wrote:
misterXY wrote:
FunDa wrote:
Hey, I have a similar problem too..



The computer just resets (powers off without shutdown) and starts again.

Quite a few times it has happened after it goes into sleep mode and I move the mouse to wake it up.

Some times it does it automatically for example when I was watching a long movie - it reset 4 times.

I also sometimes get a beep from the CPU - nothing happens, just the mouse freezes for a second


It is an AMD processor on Gigabyte motherboard with Windows XP sp2


yeah... well that sounds like overheating.... try SHUTTING OFF the pc for the night instead... also look at ur HEATSINK and fans, check the condition Smile



The temperature shown in the BIOS seems to be normal .

It did the same thing again, after a long time of being turned off - I had set it to go into sleep mode when I left it for a few minutes, when I moved the mouse after that, it reset instead of waking up Confused

Could be a registry error also...
Well try using CCleaner, using its clean AND registry cleaner( http://www.ccleaner.com/ ) & also RegScrubXP ( http://www.sofotex.com/RegScrubXP-download_L7528.html ).
then go to AVG or something similar, run a scan in Safe with Networking in Safe Boot. then run both programs mentioned also. see what it catches. i don't know for certain this is it, but it sounds like it's overloading itself on something and just freezes up Rolling Eyes my pc does it for Civ4 though.. just that game..don't know why Crying or Very sad
bgillingham
I have had this issue -- and just about everybody who has been around computers for a while has seen this happening. The point that I want to make is that this sounds like a hardware failure of either the RAM or some motherboard critical component. If the timing is completely random for the reboots, the RAM is very likely the source.

There are memory stress test programs that you can use to see it a specific RAM address is bad.

Another thing to consider when this type of random shutdown occurs may be overclocking. If your computer is designed to run on a specific bus speed - and you are overclocking it too much, random shutdowns are a common side-effect. Simply reduce your overclocking to the safer and slower limits and the symptoms may go away.
MeddlingMonk
I, too, have had the problem where the PC randomly shuts down or resets in the middle of something. In my case, it was one of three problems:

1) A damaged power-supply - if the power supply is damaged and not supplying sufficient power on one of the rails, the machine may reset when it tries to draw power from that rail.

2) Overheating - this has caused one of my PCs to either just freeze up or reset when the CPU/Motherboard temperature got too high. Either there is a problem with the cooling fan, insufficient ventilation or it is simply too hot.

3) Graphics card error/driver problem - I have suffered this problem several times. It causes the machine to reset and, when it returns to Windows, displays the error message "Your computer has recovered from a serious error". Often, there is no blue screen of death when it occurs. In my case, backdating the drivers fixed the problem (so it may merely mean finding the right driver version to avoid the error). Otherwise, trying a different graphics card may eliminate the problem.
FunDa
bgillingham wrote:
I have had this issue -- and just about everybody who has been around computers for a while has seen this happening. The point that I want to make is that this sounds like a hardware failure of either the RAM or some motherboard critical component. If the timing is completely random for the reboots, the RAM is very likely the source.

There are memory stress test programs that you can use to see it a specific RAM address is bad.

Another thing to consider when this type of random shutdown occurs may be overclocking. If your computer is designed to run on a specific bus speed - and you are overclocking it too much, random shutdowns are a common side-effect. Simply reduce your overclocking to the safer and slower limits and the symptoms may go away.


Thanks. Mine was finally diagnosed. It was a ram error. HAve to get the RAM replaced. But it is DDR1 RAM So, it is costlier than the newer DDR2 RAMS Crying or Very sad
ssthanapati
Diablosblizz wrote:
What ssthanapati means is that to possibly buy more ram. S/he (I apologize for the gender mix up) is basically saying to check what type of ram you have and to upgrade.

As for the log off thing. It should do this after you tell it to shutdown:

1. Your desktop goes away, bringing you to the login screen.
2. It says: "Saving your settings."
3. It changes, now saying: "Shutting down computer..." (or something..)

If that doesn't happen then something is wrong with your version of Windows. Try reformating your machine and reinstalling Windows.


I would like to make a correction there. What i meant was not to buy more RAM but to check and see if its corrupted.

When a part of the ram gets corrupted it starts to show these symptoms and it might bot be detected at power on self test.

I am suggesting you to replace the old ram with a compatible test ram and see if u have the problem or not. In most of the situations a corrupt RAM is the culprit. I had a similar problem too!!! So I know
bgillingham
ssthanapati wrote:
I would like to make a correction there. What i meant was not to buy more RAM but to check and see if its corrupted....
Can't you just take your memory out and take it to an AutoZone store so they can check it on that machine that goes "BEEP".

Now, to be serious -- can't you get a memory stick tested at one of those computer stores?? I really don't know - but it would be in THEIR best interest to offer this free service. Just think of how much more memory and upgrades they'd sell.
jadefalken
I've looked at a few posts and everyone seems to suggest using registry cleaners. Please don't run any registry cleaners, ever, or bother with anything else even until you find out WHY your computer is restarting. If you're getting a blue screen post the stop error (ex. 0x000000ED)

If you're not getting a stop error lets set it up so it will give you one.

Right click on My Computer and click properties.

Click on the advanced tab.

Under startup and recovery click settings.

In the box that say Automatically Restart, take the check OUT.

Then wait for it to restart, grab the stop error, and any other relevant data from the top and post it.
ThePolemistis
ajm71 wrote:
Ok all you frihosters, computer ninjas, and eggheads!....here is my problem. My computer will restart when it wants to. It is that simple, I can be in the middle of a program or internet or not doing anything with it and it will shut down and restart all by its self. Any ideas? Its an eMachine and I run Windows XP on it. Other than that nothing special. Let me know what you think.


It must be related to some sort of activity u do, for instance a certain program u load. I used to get the same error,, when I played a certain video (only a certain one, not any) in WMP.
ssthanapati
bgillingham wrote:
ssthanapati wrote:
I would like to make a correction there. What i meant was not to buy more RAM but to check and see if its corrupted....
Can't you just take your memory out and take it to an AutoZone store so they can check it on that machine that goes "BEEP".

Now, to be serious -- can't you get a memory stick tested at one of those computer stores?? I really don't know - but it would be in THEIR best interest to offer this free service. Just think of how much more memory and upgrades they'd sell.


better use memtest on ur pc 2 check it. its safe and reliable. U dont even have 2 go 2 ne other place or remove ur ram from the sysyem
frih
hey guys, i have same problem with my computer. whenever i click on turn off. my computer turn off quickly (without showing log off and saving your setting screen) and restart again. but my ram is working properly. please help me.....
bgillingham
What are some of the specifications of your system ???

This was a common problem with the Window Millennium Edition (ME) or 98 second edition (se). If you don't have Windows ME or 98 se, perhaps you have either a old or corrupt driver, slightly bad hardware (isn't it either good or bad? computers are strange "animals" - so, there IS gray area with respect to faulty hardware working strange like this).

I am guessing that you have to hold the power button for three seconds - or unplug it to get it to keep from restarting??

You say that your RAM is working properly, but how are you sure of this?
Related topics
(official) IE 7 Topic
System reboots itself...
grub boot loader gone
Overclocking with BIOS
BSOD Code
pc restarting randomly
Problem with one of my computers....
Computer shows an error do u want solve it???
Recommend me a good registry cleaner
Funny errors of IE
Localhost on WAMP accessible on the LAN
0x00000050 Error Infinite Loop
Windows Vista update serious error
interesting facts from the Quran
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Computer Problems and Support

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.