FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Free DOS games + Source

cr3ativ3
Hey, I am working on making a computer arcade and it is based around qbasic so I am looking for free dos qbasic games that include there source files or are source files (.bas) I am having trouble find archives the or if someone could tell me how to convert .exe to .bas but I dought that would really work cause some of the exe weren't made using qbasic.

Thanks.
David_Pardy
Hey Skipper! Sounds like you want to plagiarize someone else's work!
cr3ativ3
Haha, no I am not into that are you? I was looking for free games first off, not about to buy any and it's not like I am selling what I am making. And thirdly ever heard of GNU General Public License was preferring software released under that... Just maybe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License

Anyways you got any recommendations or are you just here to criticize?

Also and the only reason I am looking for programs with the .bas files is to improve upon them basically just cause I need each game to be exit able via the escape key that's the only mod I need the .bas' for.
Starflier
So, like you're making an actual physical arcade, or something online?
cr3ativ3
I have installed dos and qbasic on a 64 mb ram, Celeron 500mhz processor, 10gb hd, computer. Using qbasic I have created a program that displays the games you can play and on this you select which to play then it sends you to the games. This is executed on startup using autoexec.bat.

Not sure what you mean physical arcade online that kinda contradicts it self. But essential I have a dos computer that is an arcade that could potential be set up in a stand and be used in an arcade but I am not going to do that I might donate it to my school or something.

Anyways hope you understand what I meen.
Starflier
I said a Physical Arcade OR online... Not both at the same time. (And your right, without some TRON-esque technology that would be pretty near impossible)

I like it... The beauty of the system is, given the small size of qBASIC programs, 10 GB of space means an awful lot of games... Are you limited to a four-colour pallette though?
David_Pardy
He's running it on a Celeron 500. Any colour limitations would be due to software coding, not hardware limitations.

You would need to contact the authors of the programs you intend to use to confirm that you have their permission to do so, and you would need to give credit within your program.

But a simple Google search brings up:

http://www.qbasic.com/

Which I'm sure you could have found within the last 24 hours if you had tried Wink.
Starflier
David_Pardy wrote:
But a simple Google search brings up:
http://www.qbasic.com/

This site is totally awesome... I totally condone it, and I've totally only been on it for only two minutes! Lots of games, tutorials and three compilers to choose from!

Just a question cr3ativ3, why the souped up computer if all you're running on it is DOS and qBASIC?
David_Pardy
Certainly couldn't hurt...

I remember one particular Helicopter game (I think it was Comanche 3) which needed a Pentium 300 or something to run well.
andy26
good idea
Arnie
David_Pardy wrote:
Certainly couldn't hurt...

I remember one particular Helicopter game (I think it was Comanche 3) which needed a Pentium 300 or something to run well.
And QBasic is not the most efficient way of coding Wink

With a Celeron 500, you could install Windows 95 or Linux and use a language just a bit more advanced. But if you're good at QBasic you might as well stick with it.
Vladalf
I can play many dos games without needing a dos box or something on my Amd Athlon. It's awesome!
gemara
Dos games... well I don't know much about it but I finally find the information here... thanks everyone.
infobankr
Running the arcade on FreeDOS is a decent idea as FreeDOS is actually quite efficient.
Arnie
It's not so much the DOS version that matters, it's the BASIC language.

I used to have two free DOS games that were totally coded in assembly with graphics and bleepy sounds. They ran fine on whatever old 386 I put them on Smile
Josso
Starflier wrote:
Are you limited to a four-colour pallette though?

As far as I know qbasic has different screen modes for different purposes. Screen 13 is lowest resolution but highest colours, screen (?) is lowest colours but highest resolution. You can go for compromises if you want though.

So in screen 13 you've got 256 colours (woo!)

Code:

screen 13

do
x=x+1
a=int(rnd*255+1)
color a
print "X ";
loop until x=1000

Sickpigen
try use google
but with qbasic you cant make serios games
infobankr
Yeah I don't think the OP wants to make serious games, C, Java, and friends would be best for that, though python is looking good too.
Arnie
It's well possible to make serious (retro-style) games with QBasic. You have to know how to work around the limitations.
Starflier
Arnie wrote:
It's well possible to make serious (retro-style) games with QBasic. You have to know how to work around the limitations.

Or just enjoy them. Working within limitations is one of the joys of retro-programming...
Josso
Unless the limitations are ridiculous. Personally I don't have an issue with the limitations of Qbasic and never have done - it's excellent for DOS graphics and general retroness. However I was coding basic on a Casio PB-770 the other day and the limitations for strings are just ridiculous. Screen size is an issue too, you'll have to write everything on paper if you want to code on it. I dunno you have to go for a compromise really.
Arnie
But of course such calculator programming is a special art because of the limitations. And those limitations are more "real" as well, because they're imposed by the hardware (at least most of them...) and as such unavoidable. On a PC you can just switch to another language if you really want to do something.

I used to mess around in my Casio CFX-9850GB Plus. But those days are over now, not allowed in university... Sad
jcnet
hi Friend, why do u wanna do a game/program with low-level programming languages like BASIC?????
Better try some games using a mid-level language or high-level language....

It would be better if u do with C, C++ ...
There are lots of sources for those...
You can visit planet-source-code.com for codes for high-level programming languages...
Arnie
I wasn't aware that BASIC is being considered low-level, and C high-level. Have you got your definitions messed up?
David_Pardy
Yes he has got the definitions mixed up Wink.

But people use Basic because it is easy and more of 'toy' language than C++.

In Basic you don't need to know which header files to load, you don't have define variables (in most variants of Basic anyway) and it's pretty much in plain English.

C++ is a lot more cryptic. That being said, I used to love programming in C++ more than Basic, but if I come up with an idea for a simple little program, I'll use Basic.
cr3ativ3
Thanks, for everyone that has posted stuff for me, I did get it working, I was then setting up a pc for someone and my other 40gb hd died so I used the 10gig and because dos wasn't able to connect to the cd drive for some crazy reason I couldn't rescue the arcade oh well, and then like 3 days later after I have installed windows xp on it my other hard drive started working again.. :/ but later on if I decide to create another this topic will be very helpfull.

Thanks again,
Aaron
Arnie
DOS needs drivers in combination with MSCDEX or SHSUCDX to read CDs. Writing CDs in DOS is possible but difficult.
cr3ativ3
Arnie wrote:
DOS needs drivers in combination with MSCDEX or SHSUCDX to read CDs. Writing CDs in DOS is possible but difficult.

Ya i read up on that and I was able to get MSCDEX to start but non of the functions or commands did anything with it.
Arnie
Did you load the driver for your CD-ROM? If you need an example of a working CD-setup in DOS, just check the Windows 98 bootdisks. Make sure you look at config.sys and autoexec.bat.
cr3ativ3
I'll keep that in mind in the future thanks Smile do you know how to get a flash drive/usb stick/(all the other names) to work in dos is it possible?
Arnie
That's a tough one since USB wasn't around at the time of DOS, so there were no drivers at the time. All DOS USB stuff has been made when the OS was outdated already, but there is some nonetheless. Google will help you with that.

But if you want to transfer files from a DOS machine to a Windows machine, can't you use floppies? Or file sharing: DOS does this through SHARE.exe, however you need an old network card (preferably ISA) and some drivers for that as well. Floppies recommended.

Or use a Linux Live CD which can access FAT16 partitions and also use USB drives without any drivers. Text-mode will do, so you can use e.g. SystemRescueCd 0.2.19, I can help you with the commands. It includes SAMBA which allows you to connect to Windows file shares, provided you put a supported PCI network card in your system (probably most common cards are supported).
cr3ativ3
Arnie wrote:
That's a tough one since USB wasn't around at the time of DOS, so there were no drivers at the time. All DOS USB stuff has been made when the OS was outdated already, but there is some nonetheless. Google will help you with that.

But if you want to transfer files from a DOS machine to a Windows machine, can't you use floppies? Or file sharing: DOS does this through SHARE.exe, however you need an old network card (preferably ISA) and some drivers for that as well. Floppies recommended.

Or use a Linux Live CD which can access FAT16 partitions and also use USB drives without any drivers. Text-mode will do, so you can use e.g. SystemRescueCd 0.2.19, I can help you with the commands. It includes SAMBA which allows you to connect to Windows file shares, provided you put a supported PCI network card in your system (probably most common cards are supported).

Ya I would have used floppy's that what i used to transfer the games but the whole os including the software i built upon it was like 100mb i think so I needed something bigger I tried the linux live cd but the computer I was running the thing on wasn't compatible for some reason it might have been the 64mb of ram iono.

I suppose I could have stuck the HD in my other pc and then put it on a cd/usb with the live cd but oh well.
Arnie
I ran the 0.2.19 on a Pentium II laptop with 64MB RAM, but when booting you have to go to the MENU first and disable graphics so you just get into a commandline system.