FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fallout

auldwyrm
Ok people show of hands. Who here has played Fallout either one or two? What have you heard about Fallout 3 coming out next year?
Nutteloos
I've seen the teaser, and that's about it. Loved part 1 and really looking forward to the third in the series. It seems they're really trying to keep a lot of stuff from the old games in it, so that oughtta be good.
dfebb
Hopefully the do a good job with it, as the Fallout games have been really entertaining.
Fallout 1 probably more than the others.
Fallout Tactics was an interesting diversion, perhaps they'll incorporate elements from all of them to create the latest installment.

I remember hearing they were going to make a movie based on it at one stage... Confused
Ghengis
I really, really hope they don't screw it up. The writing has to carry on the tradition of being great from the first 3 (I'm counting Wasteland, here) and the battle system has to stay fun for a long time. I'm more worried about the latter than the former -- what they've described (hybrid turn-based/real-time action) *could* be great, or it could be incredibly painful to play.
Kitten Kong
i just hope they keep the old style of allowing you to complete objectives in multiple ways, i mean you could defeat the final boss of fallout 2 through diplomacy ifyour charisma was high enough. The last game that even attempted this was Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, it had lots of options for the player choosing a more diplomatic route. Unfortunately of course the last half hour of the game was pure fighting so if you DID play the diplomatic route through the rest of the game you were then screwed coz you didn't have the skillz to beat the final bosses.. sigh...
Nutteloos
Knights of the Old Republic did a decent enough job too, although it was still heavily biased towards fighting. The second part being possibly better than the first one, if it wasn't terribly bug-rigged and unfinished.

One of my all-time favorites though, is Planescape: Torment. Yes, it's old, but it's awesome.
Ghengis
I dunno, KOTOR never "grabbed" me. It sure looks like a good game, and lots of people love it, but I just didn't get hooked. Maybe the Fallout setting with change that? Maybe the pacing was just wrong (I only played about 1.5-2 hours of KOTOR)? I guess we'll just have to see.
Nutteloos
Games like that usually take a while to really 'draw' you into the storyline - I'd give it a couple more hours.
Liceneus
im from vault 13. i was play fallout 1-2 and tactics, and im waiting for 3-4-5 and others.
bangrobe
I'm new here . I has just played Fallout 1 & 2 . I don't play Fallout tactics yet . Could anyone tell me what's diferent between those game ? Thank you !
Ghengis
Ignore tactics; pretend it never existed. It's a disappointment. You know the difference between Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy Tactics? It's like that, only worse. I mean, FFT is a good game as turn-based strategy games go, but at least there's a story and some interesting characters. Fallout Tactics is like somebody invented a tabletop wargame using Fallout characters, then made a game engine for it. There's not much story, and the gameplay is quite different from Fallout -- no focus on item collection or skill development, just building squads of guys to shoot at other squads of guys. If I had to choose what game it's most like... image a streamlined X-Com, with a lot of the fun parts removed.

I guess you could say I didn't like it. Maybe *somebody* will defend it, but certainly don't play it just because you liked Fallout and Fallout 2.
Ankhanu
The Fallout (RPG) series is the finest game series thus far produced (my opinion obviously). I still play Fallout I&II, and recently acquired them for Mac as well.

I really hope they release a Mac version of 3 as well, but if they don't, well, I'll just have to use my PC. I can't wait for this game to come out.
tombula
I love Fallout too. Both parts. I play also in Tactics, its other type game than F 1 & 2. It's not bad, i have much fun when i play this game in real time mode. Wait for F3 right now but must buy new computer before it come.
Ghengis
Ankhanu wrote:
The Fallout (RPG) series is the finest game series thus far produced (my opinion obviously). I still play Fallout I&II, and recently acquired them for Mac as well.

I really hope they release a Mac version of 3 as well, but if they don't, well, I'll just have to use my PC. I can't wait for this game to come out.

If your Mac is an Intel, just install Bootcamp. If it's not, well, it's probably old enough it wouldn't run Fallout 3 in the first place =-)
Ankhanu
Yeah, it's Intel.
I've been avoiding installing Bootcamp; may as well save the HDD space. I do have a PC system that I'll have regular access to by the time Fallout 3 comes out anyway, I'll just play on that. (I'm currently in a different city than my PC, makes using it difficult Wink )
Ghengis
Save the HDD space? XP takes like 2 gigs, maybe as many as 4 with all the service packs, updates, and add-on gewgaws [aside -- holy crap, Firefox didn't flag "gewgaw" with spell-check]. At today's hard drive prices, that's about as expensive as a pack of gum. Hell, it might be more like a *stick* of gum =-)

IMHO, anyway. I could see if you didn't want to invest the time, but the *space*? If you're worried about partition size, you can always do it on a second drive that you also use for data (OSX "speaks" NTFS, right?) or dynamically resize with e.g. GParted.

Wow, that's really getting off topic. Anyway, with all the headaches that come from getting the PC one running "just so", I'm giving serious thought to just buying the Xbox version.
Ankhanu
I currently have about 15Gb of an 80Gb drive open... space is a concern. Yeah, XP takes up about 2Gb, but XP on its own is kinda useless, no? Each application installed adds to the space taken up. Something like Fallout 3 will probably take up about a gig or so, add in more functional software, such as my statistics packages and it adds up quick.

MacOS also likes to have about 20% of a drive open for it defragmenting protocols.

As I mentioned, if I have a full PC system to install it on in addition to my Mac, why set up bootcamp at all and cramp up the system when I have a system dedicated to Windows?

As for version, I'm not sure that the X-Box version will quite capture the right feel... PC gaming and console gaming is somewhat different. Mind you, with the changes to the combat system and all that they've made with F3, the game may have a completely different feel altogether. It looks like a solid game, but I don't think it'll quite feel like the Fallout we love.
Nutteloos
Even if it just capture the atmosphere from the original two games, I'll happily buy it.

And I'll live with it if it's a bit like Oblivion - that game was quite playable too.
urbanbuddha
I love the original. I'm iffy about the new sequel coming out. I hope its not going to the saturated market of FPSs
jackill
News about Fallout 3 & screenies: http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cng4u.com%2F2008%2F08%2F16%2Ffallout-3-scans%2F&hl=zh-CN&ie=UTF8&sl=zh-CN&tl=en

For me it's too more Oblivion-ous :/ I'd love to see classic 2d graphisc in isometric view. But we should wait for full version. Hope they will release demo first.
Ghengis
urbanbuddha wrote:
I love the original. I'm iffy about the new sequel coming out. I hope its not going to the saturated market of FPSs

I don't think it will really be an FPS, even in the sense that BioShock was an FPS. I think it's going to be more like Mass Effect -- a first-person RPG with guns. Your skill as a player shouldn't have too much to do with whether you shoot the guy successfully or not; your character's stats should determine that. From what I've seen, they even have a similar system to how ME lets you stop the action at the push of a button and assign actions. In ME, you hold the shoulder button, then target freely and tell your teammates to use a special ability. In Fallout, you stop time and pick a skill or a targeted shot. I'm hoping it works equally well, because I think ME handles it pretty good overall.
Nutteloos
From what promotional videos show, it will be much more of a tactical shooter than a mindless 'shoot-everything-that-moves' game such as Oblivion was. Indeed, you get to pause the game at will (like Mass Effect) and make targeted shots.

Plus, you are still able to hit stuff that's behind your target if you miss your intended target, like in Fallout 1 and 2. Which is quite possible the most awesome feature ever. I'm impatiently waiting for this one.
bravesirrobin
Never played the previous Fallout games, but Fallout 3 is shaping up to be Game of the Year material. The game is scheduled for October 21st. Just two more months.
Nehallyn
Naturally, it will be a great game. The Fallout games were both good (1 & 2, the console games sucked), and Bethesda getting their paws on it will only make the series better.
jackill
First official Fallout 3 gameplay:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUI0Up4AiQw&NR=1&fmt=18
Part 2: http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=wcrRM97DzRI&fmt=18
Part 3: http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=GV2Aja_ibFg&fmt=18
Part 4: http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=AqfYd0RP2O0&fmt=18
Part 5: http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=4pBKOtzZkBk&fmt=18

Looks nice, but if we confider it like FPS not RPG. As RPG it's too arcadish. The Witcher was action-rpg, but in comparision to Fallout 3 it's 100% RPG...
Ghengis
My understanding is that even in "FPS mode" you can directly hit the guy, but miss because your stats are poor. Likewise, you can shoot pretty close to the guy and hit him, even though your crosshairs were targeting empty space. I don't call that a "real" FPS...
Nutteloos
Which is good, we already have enough of those. We need a good RPG in the Fallout-style with graphics good enough to keep up with the current line of games. And hey: that's exactly what it's looking like right now! No complaints for me.
xcloudy
I played fallout2 several years ago, it's very good.
zeroburnrox
I currently have about 15Gb of an 80Gb drive open... space is a concern. Yeah, XP takes up about 2Gb, but XP on its own is kinda useless, no? Each application installed adds to the space taken up. Something like Fallout 3 will probably take up about a gig or so, add in more functional software, such as my statistics packages and it adds up quick.

MacOS also likes to have about 20% of a drive open for it defragmenting protocols.

As I mentioned, if I have a full PC system to install it on in addition to my Mac, why set up bootcamp at all and cramp up the system when I have a system dedicated to Windows?

As for version, I'm not sure that the X-Box version will quite capture the right feel... PC gaming and console gaming is somewhat different. Mind you, with the changes to the combat system and all that they've made with F3, the game may have a completely different feel altogether. It looks like a solid game, but I don't think it'll quite feel like the Fallout we love.
Ghengis
zeroburnrox wrote:

I'm sorry, you have an *80GB hard drive*? For the same price as the Fallout 3 collector's edition, you can have 5x more drive space. For less than twice that, you can get like a terabyte of space. It's crazy if that's all the space you have for your PC, especially if it's modern enough to even *run* the PC version of FO3.
jackill
Fallout 3 gone Gold, and:

Quote:
"Fallout 3 will be available for PC, Xbox 360, and PLAYSTATION 3 in North America October 28th, 2008 and Europe October 31st, 2008. Japan gets it December 4th, 2008."
Ankhanu
Ghengis wrote:
I'm sorry, you have an *80GB hard drive*? For the same price as the Fallout 3 collector's edition, you can have 5x more drive space. For less than twice that, you can get like a terabyte of space. It's crazy if that's all the space you have for your PC, especially if it's modern enough to even *run* the PC version of FO3.

I have since upgraded to a 320Gb drive and installed bootcamp... but yeah, I'll still be installing the game on my PC and not the Macbook. Finding a decently priced, high capacity, low energy demand 2.5" HDD isn't as cheap or easy as it is for a 3.5" (not everyone has a tonne of disposable income to throw at hardware upgrades)... but still, the game will run better on the PC than the Mac anyway, due to the video memory limitations inherent in the laptop card.

I certainly look forward to Fallout 3... though it doesn't look like it'll FEEL like Fallout. The hex grid was just such an important aspect of the gameplay; losing it will make it so much more like every other game out there.
Ghengis
I'm debating whether to pre-order (if you get it from Wal-Mart online, they throw in a t-shirt) or just buy it in store. The t-shirt sounds pretty sweet, but I'd have to wait the extra couple of days for shipping. What do you think?
Ankhanu
Ooh. A couple extra days won't hurt... I mean, we've waited a decade...

Go for the free shirt Smile
lethaltriad
I dont remember which version i've played.. either one or two but it was a very intriguing game. Very different from what I was used to playing at that time. I hope the new gameplay system they trying to implement will work out for a better gameplay and interactivity
Nutteloos
Sweeeeeeet.... I am SO going to buy this game. Only 2 more weeks, I'm anxious to see what they made of it.
NubCakeNL
I never played fallout (or one of the series)
But im definitely going to get Fallout3
It looks amazing and i heard its a good game.
I love RPG's
jackill
You love RPGs but never played Fallout? oO Strange dude. You should play Fallout, it's one of the greatest RPGs ever. That climate, storyline, music... All top level.
Ghengis
If you've never played the other Fallout games, do this:

1.) Go to GOG.com (Good Old Games)
2.) Buy and download both Fallout games (should run ~5 bucks each?)
3.) Don't sleep until you've beaten both of them.

You should just about be done by the time Fallout 3 releases =-)
achowles
I don't know if you expected to still be getting replies to this a year later, but what the hell.

I've got the Fallout Trilogy (including Tactics) which I bought mainly for the second one. I've played a fair bit of it. Enough to know it's not the easiest game ever. I also quite like 2D tactical games so I intend to give Tactics a go at some point too.

As for Fallout 3, I've got it on pre-order. It's looking very good indeed and early reviews are very positive.
achowles
I don't know if you expected to still be getting replies to this a year later, but what the hell.

I've got the Fallout Trilogy (including Tactics) which I bought mainly for the second one. I've played a fair bit of it. Enough to know it's not the easiest game ever. I also quite like 2D tactical games so I intend to give Tactics a go at some point too.

As for Fallout 3, I've got it on pre-order. It's looking very good indeed and early reviews are very positive.
Nutteloos
The thing that made Fallout great was the dialogue and the storyline. Tactics lacked both. I lost interest in Tactics somewhere along the 3rd mission. They added some great tactical elements (hence the name) but it just wasn't exciting enough anymore.
HamsterMan
Let's not forget the perk system and the heaploads of abilities you get to improve. Without those fallout would be pretty dull.
Ankhanu
I picked up a copy yesterday and played long enough to get out of Vault 101, then saved and quit.

The game, setting wise, is delightfully Fallout. The dialogue is there, SPECIAL, the skills and perks are all there... the grit, desolation and desperation are there. The gameplay is, as I figured, not terribly Fallout, but that's to be expected when you completely alter how a game is played Razz That said, I can tell this is going to be a rather fun game to play and look forward to continuing through the story (once I finish writing my thesis that is Razz )
Ghengis
I don't want to post a lot of spoilers, so I'll keep my impressions general. I got FO3 at the launch party in Rockville -- Best Buy botched it pretty badly IMHO, but the dev team was really nice about it and apparently Linda Carter showed up (though I didn't recognize her until I read about it the next day!).

Anyway, I'm only about 2-3 hours in so far, but I think this will silence any hardcore fans who were worried that this "wouldn't be Fallout". Let me tell you, I have loved this series since 1988 when Wasteland first came out (I was 8 at the time) and this is true to the source. I don't think full-3D Fallout would be fun if it were purely turn-based (or AP-based, as it were), and for me at least the VATS system strikes a great balance between "skill-based" and "stat-based". I was very cautious about getting my hopes up for this one, because they could have hosed it completely, but they showed an obvious respect for the source material, as well as a talent for bringing the series up to the current generation.
Ankhanu
Ghengis wrote:
I don't want to post a lot of spoilers, so I'll keep my impressions general. I got FO3 at the launch party in Rockville -- Best Buy botched it pretty badly IMHO, but the dev team was really nice about it and apparently Linda Carter showed up (though I didn't recognize her until I read about it the next day!).

Anyway, I'm only about 2-3 hours in so far, but I think this will silence any hardcore fans who were worried that this "wouldn't be Fallout". Let me tell you, I have loved this series since 1988 when Wasteland first came out (I was 8 at the time) and this is true to the source. I don't think full-3D Fallout would be fun if it were purely turn-based (or AP-based, as it were), and for me at least the VATS system strikes a great balance between "skill-based" and "stat-based". I was very cautious about getting my hopes up for this one, because they could have hosed it completely, but they showed an obvious respect for the source material, as well as a talent for bringing the series up to the current generation.

Agreed.
This is probably as true to Fallout as a 3D game could possibly be. A purely turn-based system just wouldn't make any sense at all in this format. That said, while I am loving the game, I would have been even happier with a non-3D game... but that's just not the way the industry rolls these days. For what it is, this is a great update to Fallout.

There is a certain element of the dialogue humour that made the previous games all the more enjoyable that is missing from this game... but that's kind of easily overlooked, as it was a subtle component of the original games. What I'm talking about here is mostly the little snippets of commentary that you "heard" (read) around your enemies and allies during combat, and some of the NPCs in town... though you still get some of those snippets in town. I'll miss their commentary, but I'll live Wink
Ghengis
D'yknow what I'd kill for? A 3D rendered isometric-view PSP Fallout in the vein of the first two. They could probably pilfer the engine from an SRPG or something if they needed to -- it could even be a port of, say, Fallout 2 if they didn't want to throw in the resources to write a new story. As the "high end" home consoles move to ever more powerful hardware, the games we enjoyed a decade ago are seeing new life on lower-powered handheld hardware. I think a PSP Fallout would be technically feasible, and would sell like hotcakes.

Aside: I suggested the PSP, even though the DS has a touchscreen, because I think the DS is just too low-resolution. If they made a sequel to Fallout *Tactics*, maybe, but for a "full" Fallout game I'd like to see the power of the PSP put to use.
Seiji
I'm playing Fallout 3 right now, and man is it wicked. Probably the best game I've played since BioShock. It kind reminds me a little of Mass Effect but 10x better. The whole story to it, is pretty neat.
Starrfoxx
I would love to try Fallout 3, but I would want to start with the originals. Plus, I haven't even finished Morrowind, Oblivion, or the older Elder Scrolls series. There's so much I have that hasn't even been finished yet. Now's a good time to get back into older games with the way the economy is going and the direction PC gaming is headed.
easysolution
I really, really hope they don't screw it up. The writing has to carry on the tradition of being great from the first 3 (I'm counting Wasteland, here) and the battle system has to stay fun for a long time. I'm more worried about the latter than the former -- what they've described (hybrid turn-based/real-time action) *could* be great, or it could be incredibly painful to play.
Ankhanu
easysolution wrote:

It's not too bad really... though nothing like the old system, which was more like a real computer representation of how table-top pen and paper RPGs play. I'm not sure how it will hold up in the long run, but it's workable.
Ghengis
If you're interested in the originals, you can get them both on GoG.com (Good Old Games) for a song, patched and updated to the latest version, and fixed to run flawlessly under XP and Vista. I haven't gotten them yet (still have my original discs), but it's a hell of a deal if you haven't played them yet.
grashopa
The meat of the game isn't nearly as good as the old games, but there are enough flashes in there to keep you going. Part of the problem may lie in the fact they made the world so much larger - you cannot expect every place to be so fleshed out. I am not at all a fan of the story here, but if you are a gamer you will love exploring the world and collecting stuff Smile

The 3D plays well to the fallout world of exploration and scavenging in such a big world. I haven't touched most of the so called RPGs recently, and am happy to see that there is potential in the way this game was designed.
lethaltriad
Been playing it for a couple days now. It has the same atmospheric field like previous fallouts but like grashopa said the world is soo vast now. I havent reached a stage yet where you can drive to another section like in previous games but then maybe i might need more science knowledge and parts to get the motor cycle runnning. Good thing u can travel to and from known/visited locations with the pipboy. The RPG element is nice but there are soo much attributes and special skills to add it gets a lil confusing sometimes. There is also a lot of dialogue and mini missions to keep you busy all throughout the game. Good game overall though, welcome change to all the other types of games that has been coming out lately.
Ankhanu
lethaltriad wrote:
There is also a lot of dialogue and mini missions to keep you busy all throughout the game.

That's part of the magic of the franchise Smile There's a tonne to do, and you have a lot of freedom to do things when you want to, or whether you do them at all.
Nutteloos
Oooooh, just reading all your commentaries made me remember how bad I need to pick up this game... great to hear it's living up to our expectations, too! (well, to some degree at least - which is more than I had hoped for!)
Ghengis
Just an update: I got to the town on the aircraft carrier -- it looks like there's as much substance there as in any two or three of the other areas I've visited thus far. Say what you will about whether it matches the spirit of the old games or not... just be aware, this game is HUGE.
Nutteloos
It really is, and contrary to Oblivion: the game is actually different in each of the many areas you're exploring. If you kill something it will stay dead. (which was a real killer for me in Oblivion)

I'm absolutely loving this game like many others. Even if you're sceptic after playing one of the originals, give it a try. You won't regret it.