FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Two problems... need help, bad!

Diablosblizz
Alright, I'll start off with the most serious (of the two problems):

Okay, I have a USB mouse which is plugged into the front of my computer. (I have two at the front of my machine) Sometimes, getting more often, the mouse will just stop working. The mouse is still plugged in, and the red light underneath my mouse is still on. There is no icon in the corner of my screen (in the task tray) indicating that there is anything USB plugged into the computer, never for the mouse.

Sometimes the mouse will just randomly freeze for about two to five seconds and sometimes it will just stop all together, therefore making me replug in my mouse. As well as the mouse stops working and the sound for when a USB device was disconnected is played. After a second or two the sound for when a USB device was connected is played. Does anybody know if I can fix this, without buying a new mouse?

My second problem is something I did to the .dll's. It's not so important, but I would wish to have it back. When I press start, the words beside the log out and shutdown buttons are gone, I had them removed with a program that replaced one of the dlls in the system folders. (Click here to see a picture of what I mean) Has anybody done this before, and got the words back? If so, how did you manage to do so?

I really need help on these two problems, if anybody is willing to help me than thank you!
Jaan
Why do you want the words back? Are those the only thing the dll removes?
Diablosblizz
Yes I believe that is the only thing the dll removes. It is a Windows DLL, because when it replaced it Windows said "Please insert your disc to repair the file!"

I want them back because the start menu doesn't look the way I wish it to look with the words. Don't ask, I just need them back! Smile
rekluzz
There's a thread on this exact topic on another forum. Maybe you can find the help you need there. Best of luck!
http://www.jcxp.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6708
Diablosblizz
This is to remove the text, I am trying to re-add the text!
adeydas
Try a System Recovery or System Restore. That should fix it...
ronald.helpdesk
service pack of your operating system?

update your usb drivers or remove and reinstall your mouse drivers

check your irq's sharing settings

internally (check your front usb wiring, it might be missplaced)
Diablosblizz
adeydas wrote:
Try a System Recovery or System Restore. That should fix it...

Honestly, I have System Restore disabled. I never used it, and last time I did it screwed up my machine forcing me to reformat it.

ronald.helpdesk wrote:
service pack of your operating system?

Not sure what your saying here. I don't think my Mouse has any drivers installed, to be honest. And I am unable to check my USB wiring, as my hard drive is in the way of it. (I am using a desktop computer)[/quote]
liamthebof
OK. I can solve your second problem.

Step 1: Go and download and Prgram called Resource Hacker. Basically, t allows you to edit exe's.

Step 2: Open resource hacker

Step 3: Browse to C:/WINDOWS/explorer.exe in resource hacker and open it

Step 4: Go to string table > 439 > 1033.

Step 5: in the script right of the menus, replace your line 7012 to make sure it looks like this

7012, "|Undock Comput&er|&Log Off|T&urn Off Computer|D&isconnect||"

Step 6: Click compile script

Step 7: Pres Ctrl - alt - delete > Processed, explorer.exe > end.

Step 8: Go back to resource hacker, file >save then exit it.

Step 8: go ctrl> alt >delete >applications > New task > explorer.exe

Step 9: Restart PC

Enjoy.
bostko
I recommend you to reinstall windows!
IceCreamTruck
Dude... er... liamthebof ... whatever your name is.

You don't just go around telling people to rewrite lines of code in the OS files man. Bad form!!! Serously I'm going to watch and see who trys what you told them, and who gets really mad at liamthebof for telling them to rewrite their OS.

People: you would be so surprised what you can actually find in the Windows Help files installed on your OS. Just type "shutdown options" in the help section of every windows system, and there you'll be able to pull up the right settings dialogs to change just about everything on the system conserning shutting down your computer.

First off don't plug your mouse in to the front of your computer. Plug it in the back of your computer and go buy one of those really cool jump drives for your keychain. They are like mini portable hard drives and you can actually fit most of the paperwork from a whole office on one of those little guys. But only the really cool people know about MP3s, and that might quite not be your generation. The ports on the front of your computer are for other devices that need to be changed out!!!

If you plug the mouse into the back of the computer and it acts the same way, then what new information can you gather? 1. it's not a broken USB port problem 2. The problem might be the USB controller (first device, on mother board, that gets/sends signal to USB devices) in which case you'd have to get an install a USB pci card, but you'd always have a broken mother board compontent. 3. Most likely software related. Is the computer low on memory? Low processor trying to do too much. If any of these might be the case the mouse will hang, because the computer is processing different things. No amount of reinstalling anything is going to make an old dog doo new tricks. Sometimes it's just time to take an older computer out back and shoot it.

nuff said...
liamthebof
IceCreamTruck, I would hardly call it rewriting the Operating System.

All that is happening is you are changing the text line in explorer.exe that controls the text shown on the Log Off/ Shut Down Buttons back to the original line that came in explorer.exe.

Secondly, find a config file to change the text there on your operating system and I will be highly suprised. The software used to create this chnage in the text edited explorer.exe, it did not change any config file. The only ways to get the text back to normal out:
1) Edit the explorer.exe back.
2) Download a new explorer.exe file. (Legally could be a problem)
3) Reinstall the OS.

Your choice.
Diablosblizz
IceCreamTruck wrote:
But only the really cool people know about MP3s

I use my MP3 player as a USB Drive, it works just the same in my opinion. I transfered Counter Strike 1.6 Non-Steam from my computer with Internet to my non-internet computer with it!

If I didn't have my MP3 player I would be dead!

Quote:
OK. I can solve your second problem.

Step 1: Go and download and Prgram called Resource Hacker. Basically, t allows you to edit exe's.

Step 2: Open resource hacker

Step 3: Browse to C:/WINDOWS/explorer.exe in resource hacker and open it

Step 4: Go to string table > 439 > 1033.

Step 5: in the script right of the menus, replace your line 7012 to make sure it looks like this

7012, "|Undock Comput&er|&Log Off|T&urn Off Computer|D&isconnect||"

Step 6: Click compile script

Step 7: Pres Ctrl - alt - delete > Processed, explorer.exe > end.

Step 8: Go back to resource hacker, file >save then exit it.

Step 8: go ctrl> alt >delete >applications > New task > explorer.exe

Step 9: Restart PC

Enjoy.

I honestly don't feel safe editing explorer.exe, honestly..

Overall, I let my mouse rest for a few days and it seems to be working fine now. It is still plugged into the front of the computer, because honestly I don't see a difference between the front and back. Plus, if the mouse does mess up, I don't have to move my computer around to unplug it!
liamthebof
Ok, how about you create explorer2.exe, modify it and then disable explorer and run explorer2. If you feel it seems corrupted and has not fixed your problem, delete explorer2 and go back to the windows version.

Thanks
Diablosblizz
I could do that, but right now the theme I am using looks better without the text then with the text. As for my mouse, it still continues to freeze.
Diablosblizz
Okay, I did the explorer2.exe thing, and it just opened up My Documents. Any ideas?
Pikokola
I ever had same "mouse" problem like you had, It's appears when I change the location of USB slot that used for the mouse (For the first time, I used the 1st USB slot on the back side, and then when moving, I use the 2nd USB slot, that's when the problems occur)

I don't know how to fix it, but it's recovered by time after I move it back to the 1st slot.

Hope that help ^^
Diablosblizz
I just un-plug and re-plug it back in, using the same spot.
MarzEz
try using a different port, i've found that usb ports have a tendancy to short out. however, if that's the case, it should just say "one of the usb devices attatched to this computer has malfunctioned". try cleaning some dust out of your computer if it's old, it can build up and cause problems.
another problem could be that your mouse needs drivers, but i doubt it.
is it a standard 3-button mouse?
also, IceCreamTruck had a good idea, check your processor and ram.
processors under 400mhz... ram under 128mb...
(i have a 400mhz processor, and it runs fairly well, but i have 256mb of ram)
tese in conjunction mean a very slow computer and mouse lag. what are your specs?
IceCreamTruck
MarzEz wrote:
try using a different port, i've found that usb ports have a tendancy to short out. however, if that's the case, it should just say "one of the usb devices attatched to this computer has malfunctioned". try cleaning some dust out of your computer if it's old, it can build up and cause problems.
another problem could be that your mouse needs drivers, but i doubt it.
is it a standard 3-button mouse?
also, IceCreamTruck had a good idea, check your processor and ram.
processors under 400mhz... ram under 128mb...
(i have a 400mhz processor, and it runs fairly well, but i have 256mb of ram)
tese in conjunction mean a very slow computer and mouse lag. what are your specs?

Brief in form but comprehensive in scope... very nice!

Plus you complimented my post!! Those kinds of acts get you free icecream points!!! Dancing
MarzEz
Thanks.
i just like helping people, as i know everyone else would help me.
i help with what i can, and try to help anyway with what i can't.
thanks again. Very Happy
Diablosblizz
Okay, for the record:

1. I bought a new mouse, it's currently plugged into the back of my computer and it is working fine. Only one problem is during startup, I sometimes may have to re-plug it back in. This is NOT the mouses fault, it is my very old computer..

2. The Log Out and Shutdown words are STILL missing. I need them back! Does anybody know how to do this?!!?
IceCreamTruck
ok, I'm serious!! check in windows help. try searching the following:

"Display Log-off"
"log off"
"shutdown options"

if that search provides nothing (sorry I'm on Vista now so I can't walk you through it) then check the properties of the start menu by right clicking the start menu and going to properties.

Then check all of the tabs on the dialog that appears and see if there isn't something there that says something about "shutdown options". I'm no longer exactly sure where it is, but trust me there is a place where you can change what is displayed on the start menu as far is shutdown options are concerned. You must find it; this is your mission.
MarzEz
diablosplizz, did you try switching usb ports?
also, if looking in windows© help* doesn't work, TRY GOOGLING IT! Very Happy
Google™ is the most useful thing since the internet itself, if not more useful!

*suggested by IceCreamTruck
Diablosblizz
MarzEz, read my above post. THE MOUSE IS FIXED. As for the searching, I have done a google search and I will do a Windows search when I get home.
MarzEz
Diablosblizz wrote:
I bought a new mouse, it's currently plugged into the back of my computer and it is working fine. Only one problem is during startup, I sometimes may have to re-plug it back in. This is NOT the mouses fault, it is my very old computer..

yes, your very old computer, or usb port.

sorry, just trying to be helpful.