FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

IP change from 192.168.1.??? to??.??.??.??

dirkvb
It is not really a problem but I don't know were to put it elsewhere. So here is my question:

At home we have got a router whit a modem in it. This modem/router has it's own IPadres. But when I want to do something whit the other computers on the network they get IP's from 192.168.1.???, like 192.168.1.20 or something.

So only my modem/router has got it own personnel IP.

But when I want to play a game across the internet whit my friends, they must give an IP in so they can "track" me. But whit the IP from my modem/router it won't work, neither whit my 192.168.1.??? IP.

Does anyone know how I can change this, so Every computer gets it's own personnel IP different from the standard 192.168.1.??? networkIPs.

Greetz

ps: I've got a topcom modem/router.
And yes, all firewalls are offline.
bloodrider
The 192.168.1.XXX it's your "internal IP". The router creates a network were all clients respond to 192.168.1.1, and all clients have his own IP (192.168.1.XXX).
But externally (to the INTERNET) you're connected only trough your router, the ISP attributes one IP to your router and that's the one you should use, if you don't know how to find your IP use this site: http://www.whatsmyip.org/
Don't forget to open the necessary ports (on router configurations) so you can have online gaming!
ronald.helpdesk
if your router is assigning ip's like 192.168.1.XXX it must be a configurable one, open your browser, and enter 192.168.1.1 a login scren should appears, if it's not preconfigured, user:admin pass:admin should work, you can enter in your status screen (in the router's conf) and see the ip you isp has assingned 2 you... you can give that IP to your friends and try, but I hardly think that could work.

Either way, you may configure your router as a routing device insted of a gateway as it is working now... or it looks like at least.

I hope this helps...

greatings.
TyrionWarMage
Depending on the game(s) you want to play, you also have to forward some ports to your "internal" ip.

Also a good solution is Hamachi - this programm will create "virtual" Network and its useable like ICQ/MSN...
A virutal Network allows you to access computer like they are in the same local-network with you (ion games: the LAN option)
liamthebof
I reccomend you go to portforward.com. That website will show you how to forward router ports to grant certain prpgrams access to the internet.

More importantly, read how to set a static internal IP address. This will give you a fixed internal IP like 192.168.1.137 which will be useful to you.

For finding your external IP that your friends need for tracking you on games, go to www.ip-adress.com and paste them the IP.

Good Luck.
czc587
You must currently be set to a dynamic IP address (dhcp). You can change this to be static, such as 192.168.1.20 on your PC, if you have windoes xp, it's in the properties setting of tcpip in network.
XeononyX
liamthebof wrote:
I reccomend you go to portforward.com. That website will show you how to forward router ports to grant certain prpgrams access to the internet.

More importantly, read how to set a static internal IP address. This will give you a fixed internal IP like 192.168.1.137 which will be useful to you.

For finding your external IP that your friends need for tracking you on games, go to www.ip-adress.com and paste them the IP.

Good Luck.

Yes this is correct. You have to look up with the game and make sure what ports the game uses. Then you have to go into the firewall settings in your router and 'POINT' them in the direction of 'YOUR' computer on the network. That way if the router sees someone on the internet try to access your IP using those ports it know where to take that said user from the internet.

Another alternative method is to set your computer to DMZ mode and that sends all your ports to your computer, kinda risky and you have to take care of security yourself with a software firewall since it pretty muck knocks your router's firewall out of the loop.