FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My site is 1050 px wide. Is that too Much

Possum
Hi

I have made my web page 1050px wide. It doesn't always fit on everyones screens. But I can't accommodate everyone.. And they all had old systems..

Have I chosen a good size..

Cheers Possum..
imagefree
no.

You site is not fit for any screen. You should make your site with atleast one screen resolution (Very famous and most widely used is 1024) so in order to make your site fit for 1024 pixels wide and compatible to all browsers on the same scree, choose 1000 pixels.

Anyways, your site is still good because there is no text on the very right side of screen.
Possum
Hi

I think you are right..

I will start making the changes

cheer Possum..
GB
I recommend an article by A List Apart I haven't done its recommendations yet, but it looks pretty good. This way you can have it work for all sizes down to mobile content.

Good luck on your site!
Perfectart
i often uses around those dimensions 1050 and it fits perfectly 1024x768 screens, Good luck
Possum
Hi

I have decided on a safe 1000px width. The list apart article is interesting as my site is made with my own application I can program it to make several sites at once. I think the page senses the browser and sends the page right for it.

This is on my programming to do list.

Cheers everyone

Possum..
GB
Terrific, let us know how it turns out. I will probably be using the same technique for my company's website.
Donutey
The best thing to do is to set a min width (maybe 500px) and a max width for your site and then have a fluid percentage based design, so that it remains functional and usable at all resolutions.
cavey
Also remember that not all surf with their browsers maximized. There are often sidebars (notes, bookmarks, info ++) in the browsers + scrollbars.

You should also think about the width of the text lines. If the lines are very long (especially with small line spacing), it is hard for the eyes to jump to the beginning of the next line. Also the paragraphs look prettier when they are not so wide (often leading to 1- or 2-lines paragraphs).