FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

WalMart forces green packaging

standready
Very interesting. Here is the story:
http://www.designnews.com/article/CA6485773.html?title=Article&spacedesc=news&nid=2536
What this will do is force companies to redesign everything. The product itself as well as packaging. Many production machines need to be redesigned. What I am not seeing yet is what WalMart's penalties will be for non-compliance. WalMart loves to penalize it's vendors!
Even though my company (www.standready.biz) does not yet do business with WalMart, we have always tried to environmentally friendly. We use recycleable plastic and are working to change over to non-petroleum (plant) based plastic. We have minimal packaging (our label is recycled paper with water based ink) to reduce post-consumer waste. Currently, we are looking at ways to reduce our bulk shipping packaging including downgauging.
What do you think?
brokenadvice
Well, the WalMart thing is just for the publicity. People rarely will pay extra for an environmentally friendly product, but will buy it if it is the same price. Not to say that I am against environmentally friendly packaging, but the style and packaging of the product is one of the most influential parts of the purchase. Cutting down on the "shiny" packaging will cut down on sales. All those form fitting shiny plastic coverings not only to keep you from stealing: they are designed to make you want to buy the product.
FFXclan
standready wrote:
http://www.designnews.com/article/CA6485773.html?title=Article&spacedesc=news&nid=2536
What this will do is force companies to redesign everything. The product itself as well as packaging. Many production machines need to be redesigned. What I am not seeing yet is what WalMart's penalties will be for non-compliance. WalMart loves to penalize it's vendors!
Even though my company (www.standready.biz) does not yet do business with WalMart, we have always tried to environmentally friendly. We use recycleable plastic and are working to change over to non-petroleum (plant) based plastic. We have minimal packaging (our label is recycled paper with water based ink) to reduce post-consumer waste. Currently, we are looking at ways to reduce our bulk shipping packaging including downgauging.
What do you think?

Corporate social responsibility hype of the market
johnBdoe
standready wrote:
What do you think?

I know WalMart is huge, but not to the extent that they can FORCE companies to redesign everything. For companies to redesign everything, it might cause more harms to the environment, at least in the short term. What companies need to do is to reduce their packaging just like your company (good job by the way). There are way too much packaging today which are unnecessary and wasteful.