FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which is better for a college student

adeydas
Which flavour of Linux do you think is better for a college student: Debain or Fedora Core or Gentoo?!?
Arno v. Lumig
Depends on your spare time and your linux experience. If you have lots of spare time and lots of Linux experience then I recommend Gentoo, if you don't have too much spare time but do have some Linux knowledge then Debian. If you don't have too much time and no Linux knowledge then Debian aswell.
I personally wouldn't go for Fedora, because it's slow and bloated, but it is very easy to use though.

We already have an topic on this aswell, at the top of the thread list...
swizzy
if i could add another option to your list, it would be pclinux os...

believe me its the best for almost all new users

if u wanted to ask for educational purposes, then edubuntu may be recommended
kansloos
The latest stable Debian is probably a good choice for servers
Fedora will do fine for your Desktop needs.
And I have no experience at all with Gentoo.
Same goes for PCLinux OS.

An important factor for me when choosing a distro is the amount of software in the repositories.
Though I don't really care wether this is 8000 or 26000, but when there are only 1200 packages, the chance is way higher, that I will spend a whole day, cursing a lot, trying to compile an application from it's source, becuz it wasn't in the repository. And ofcourse I will fail miserably as always when compilling <_<

but if you need easyness, I found Fedora and Ubuntu to be very easy.
LostOverThere
Easily Ubuntu.

Ubuntu can be very pretty and also is insanely simple to use. I've always had problems with other distro's, but with Ubuntu everything just works.

By the way, Edubuntu is more aimed at primary schools, not college students. So don't try that.
kansloos
LostOverThere wrote:
Ubuntu can be very pretty and also is insanely simple to use. I've always had problems with other distro's, but with Ubuntu everything just works.

lol, tool for getting laid...

Anyways, I always managed to break my Windows install with Ubuntu.
So if dual boot is necessary beware a bit :p
BlueVD
I'd say that the best is Mandriva... but that's just a personal opinion.
Anyway, IMHO, this is the order I can think of:
Mandriva 2008
Fedora Core 7
Suse
Debian
Ubuntu
Gentoo
FreeBSD
LostOverThere
Mandriva 2008 for a student? IMO the Mandriva distro's are really more aimed at the business end of things. Fedora Core and Debian both require a bit of work, and if you're relatively new to Linux, you're screwed.

But then again, in my opinion (and my opinion only), as I said earlier. Go Ubuntu.
Ankhanu
Yeah, from your list, Debian is the way to go. However, I also agree that Ubuntu is a great distro to run with. Both are easy to use and well supported, but Ubuntu is even easier Razz
Studio Madcrow
Gentoo is for 15 year olds on a "ZOMG. I SI TEH LEET HAXXOR" trip, rather than mature adults who actually care about getting stuff done. Any of the "mainstream" distros (Ubuntu, openSUSE, Mandriva, Fedora Core) will probably suit you quite well. I happen to be partial to openSUSE simply because I've used it since it was called SuSE Linux, YaST was only text-based and dinosaurs roamed the earth, but you should feel free to try all of them. It's not like it's going to cost YOU anything...
adeydas
Thank you everybody. I tried Ubuntu and it looks fine although my Bluetooth won't work. Gotta find a way around it!!!
LostOverThere
Two great places to ask are Linux Questions and the Ubuntu Forums both which are very noob friendly.

G'Luck.
{name here}
adeydas wrote:
Which flavour of Linux do you think is better for a college student: Debain or Fedora Core or Gentoo?!?

If you've got time to fiddle around and do things which might be frustrating but somewhat worth it go with Gentoo. If you want to truly learn to use linux but don't really want a lot of compiling and other assorted things (you will still need to read a manual), try Debian. If you want the easy way out where everything is essentially prepackaged and sugarcoated for you choose Fedora or Ubuntu.
adeydas
{name here} wrote:
adeydas wrote:

If you've got time to fiddle around and do things which might be frustrating but somewhat worth it go with Gentoo. If you want to truly learn to use linux but don't really want a lot of compiling and other assorted things (you will still need to read a manual), try Debian. If you want the easy way out where everything is essentially prepackaged and sugarcoated for you choose Fedora or Ubuntu.

thanks everybody!!! i want to learn linux so i'll probably go with Gentoo. just one question: where can i find complete manual to learning Gentoo.
LostOverThere
Gentoo? For a first timer, adeldas, you will no doubt struggle. The idea behind Gentoo is you compile everything.

So when you want to install a program, you compile it from source.
Ecthelion
I recommend Ubuntu (I'm also a student)

You can run most of the programs you need, if you like eyecandy it also has some (which college students usually still like) it has a good community (like most linux distros, ok) and it's the distro that is (my opinion) evoluating fastest in a good 'new things / stable version' ratio.

Personal opinion of course.

Anyway, in Belgium there's a great loco team, so if I have problems I can easely search someone who lives close and ask them to come help, which they usually do Smile
Cddhesh
I recommend you to go for Suse flavor.It is very similar to windows XP.Students will not find any difficulty in handling it.Here many schools and colleges have the same.
Ubuntu has come up with student flavor containing good help and support.It has many interactive softwares too.
JayBee
LostOverThere wrote:
Gentoo? For a first timer, adeldas, you will no doubt struggle. The idea behind Gentoo is you compile everything.

So when you want to install a program, you compile it from source.

I could recommend Gentoo. A have tried many distros, but I delete them after while (20min ~ 60min). Gentoo is different. I spend lot of time by installing it, I learn many new things and now, I use Linux all the time (for about 2 years). It is all because of understanding Linux idea, because of not to compare it to other OSs. I will never reach this state without Gentoo. Thanks GENTOO!
LostOverThere
I highly doubt you'll even touch the outer skin of a Linux distro if you just have it installed for 20-60 minutes. I find I need about a week to see if a distro is right for me.
jcnet
I feel that FEDORA is the best................ I've been using it for some time/.....

Among LINUX , fedora is the best.................
and among WINDOWS,,,,, XP is the best...........

and a FEW WORDS about FEDORA::;

Fedora is a Linux-based operating system that showcases the latest in free and open source software. Fedora is always free for anyone to use, modify, and distribute. It is built by people across the globe who work together as a community: the Fedora Project. The Fedora Project is open and anyone is welcome to join.

The Fedora Project is out front for you, leading the advancement of free, open software and content. Arrow Arrow Arrow
Arnie
Ubuntu is not the answer to all "what Linux should I use" threads. In fact, as far as I'm concerned it's the answer to none at all except "what Linux should I use to be the ultimate fanboy".

For a college student I'd recommend Scientific Linux. It's a matter of software availability really, in college you may need very specific software (at least I do) and if used in class there's probably one distribution recommended by the teachers or tech. dept. that they give packages for. If there is, you should take that one unless you're up for an adventure.

Having to choose from the 3 options you give in your starting post, Debian would be my #1 pick. Fedora may be an alternative if you're more into RPM packages.
cosmicx
For me, Ubuntu would be the best choice for the students to start learning off Linux operating system...
It is quite similar to Windows in terms of UI...
definitely, most of them will be more familiar and do not have any steep learning curve...
haha... Cool
mehulved
Are you a computer science student? if yes, then gentoo would be a good idea, it will teach you a lot about linux.
I have been a gentoo user for about a year now and have to say it's just great.
Also, have a look at PC-BSD as a simple alternative *nix OS.
mahirharoon
in the list you wrote
fedora
not in the list
ubuntu or edubuntu