FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Lost phone

Liu
I was at the airport yesterday coming home on business, and I dropped my $400 company blackberry phone somewhere. When I came to realize I lost it, I called the phone and somebody picked up but didn't talk, then hung up on me. Phone calls afterwards were ignored.

So I figure this person doesn't want to return it.

Did anyone have anything similar happen to them? Would you return wallets, or belongings if you found them? Or are you one of those "Finders keepers" types? Answer honestly and tell me your thoughts if you answer finders keepers. I wont be offended.

It seems whenever I lose something, wallet, phone, what have you, it's never returned to me when I know someone has picked it up. My idea of society has greatly waned because of this.
ninjakannon
When I find an expensive item, perhaps a mobile phone or mp3 player, or a wallet - something of this sort anyway. Then I feel inclined to return the item, for I have empathy for anyone who's lost such an item having done it myself. It's different when I find money though, aside from the fact that it's almost impossible to find who it belonged to and so handing it in will merely be giving it to the person at 'Lost and Found' to keep. I've never found a large sum of money though, and if it was sufficiently large then I would be more likely to return it. Just don't ask what sufficiently large is, because I couldn't tell you.
k_s_baskar
did u insured your phone or not?
vinx_18
I am not a type of person who keep the things I've found that is not my own. When it is my time that I'll lost something valuable or important I will get terrified so things that are lost should be given back to the person who owns it. He/She has given importance or has value on it that might sometimes be priceless.
coolclay
In my opinion people that don't at least attempt to return things to their rightful owners are the same scum that start these frivolous law suits. Its really sad that there are people that would rather take something someone else worked for then work for it themselves. It just disgusts me.

In case you didn't here about this story of a stolen sidekick, its really interesting and worth reading. http://www.evanwashere.com/StolenSidekick/
hofodomo01
Though I believe in the idea that people should not keep things that aren't theirs (even if they found it somewhere), the reason I don't keep other people's things that I find is because I would be in a crapload of trouble if they did eventually get it back and find out that I was the person who took it...
KatanaSky
Liu wrote:
I was at the airport yesterday coming home on business, and I dropped my $400 company blackberry phone somewhere. When I came to realize I lost it, I called the phone and somebody picked up but didn't talk, then hung up on me. Phone calls afterwards were ignored.

So I figure this person doesn't want to return it.

Did anyone have anything similar happen to them? Would you return wallets, or belongings if you found them? Or are you one of those "Finders keepers" types? Answer honestly and tell me your thoughts if you answer finders keepers. I wont be offended.

It seems whenever I lose something, wallet, phone, what have you, it's never returned to me when I know someone has picked it up. My idea of society has greatly waned because of this.

I never would want to keep someone else's cellphone - I believe in karma Wink

Every time I find a cell phone (it's amazing how many people have actually done this, myself included!) I call the last number that was dialed and let that person know where I found the phone and if they can please contact the person it belongs to. I truly believe that karma has been on my side because once I did lose my cellphone and someone was kind enough to turn it into the local police station. Would you take a cell phone to the nearest police station if you can't seem to get a hold of anyone in their contacts? Before, even I would question that.

Keys, cellphone, wallet, purse - 4 things I must always have in my possession.
loryl
I wouldn't keep anyone's belongings that meant anything to them. I've found flash drives, keys, ID cards, wallets, and other belongings (never found a cell phone though), all of which were returned to the nearest lost/found. I think anyone with a conscience would do the same (unless they were starving).

I always thought that you could track cell phones...
standready
I would try my best to return the item to it's owner. With a phone, I would call the last dailed phone number and explain to them where I found it and ask them to have the owner call the phone.
Anything with the owner's contact infomation with the item, I would contact them directly. Other items with no such information, I would take to lost and or found, if available, or to the police station.
ninjakannon
The problem, not with this thread necessarily but with human behaviour, is that people are far less likely to post and explain that they take people's items all the time than they are to tell us that they always return items they find.
I know for a fact that it's a part of human nature to think about keeping that item, not everyone will do it but there is the smallest of temptation for everyone (generally, humans being so various there are some who will not, but in general everyone will have these thoughts). I was honest in my earlier post and admitted that I would keep smallish amounts of money, not material items though (for a start, what use have I for them? I already have a phone, music player, etcetera, and don't know any way of selling them on.. Oh: Ebay? Razz). I know some are inclined to lie as well, I don't expect many posts - if any - to admit to taking things.

PS. I'm not pointing a finger at anyone, I have no idea who you are, I'm just commenting on the situation.
endless
if i find a mp3 or something, i return in to the lost&found stuff. same with cellphones ^^
but if i find money i keep (found a total of 60 ^^)
Keran
I never kept any found mp3 or phone to myself, in fact one time when I found a quite expensive phone, when I returned it I got $20 ;]
But if I'd found any money I would keep it too, since there's no way I can track it back to someone anyway ;p
brilliantbeauty
Well, I once returned an 80G ipod video wrapped in a coach case that was laying around my school, but that may just be the kind of school I go to. Rolling Eyes If I find phones though, I would definitely return it because so much of people's lives these days are on their phones. And honestly, as nice as a phone is, it's just not right to up and take it. However, if I find money, unless it was a very large denomination, I would just keep it because it's pretty much untracable, as said. Flash drives, wallets, etc. I always try to return.
Helios
If I find a cellphone someday, I would definitely return it.
Some years ago some punk stole my phone just under my nose.
So if you ask me, if another jerk found a phone and doesn't want to return it - for me it's the same as stealing, and I'm not a theif.

Plus, it could be an absolutely great opportunity to meet someone new, you know. Especially if it's a good looking chick Wink
xorcist
If I see someone drop something I will go and try to give it back to them. I know how it feels to loose something. I lost my wallet with my credit card and debit card and like 50 Dollars. I never got it back of course. I did not even care about the money all I really wanted was the my credit card and license. Dropping something like that and not getting it returned is a big inconvenience.
adeydas
If its something valuable then I would definitely return it else if its not worth it, I wouldn't bother.
m00tmuffin
I would always return whatever I found laying around. I don't see how someone can think it's acceptable to steal anything like that just because it's on the ground or has been left behind somewhere. Someone very obviously owns it. Sigh. I've just had this happen to me before, at least along the same lines, and it is just the most irritating thing in the world.
minty
Holy crap...speaking about losing a cell phone. I went to an amusement park with my g/f and her sister. I went on a ride by myself and they went on one together. When I was done I tried calling them, but some strange lady answered. I was so confused that I hung up and tried again. To my dismay a lady answered again. She was waiting in a huge line, and it took me about 15 minutes of pleading my case with the "line director" to allow me to cut through the line to retrieve the cell phone. On top of this, the place was crowded as hell and I couldn't find my g/f and/or her sister. I was panicking like crazy. After about 30 minutes of fralicking (I think I murdered that word) around we finally ran into each other. It was a practical nightmare...

So I am one that if I find it I will at least turn it into the Helpdesk or Lost and Found if I am not able to track down the person it belongs to. Many times I have found a person's flash memory card in the USB of a computer, and instead of perusing it or taking it, I gave it to either the teacher in the classroom, or the HelpDesk. I do not believe in karma or the likes, I am just upholding my values and trying to make society a little better one action at a time.

standready wrote:
With a phone, I would call the last dailed phone number and explain to them where I found it and ask them to have the owner call the phone.

Thx for the grand idea!!
BPrice
if I see someone drop something then I will return it or if the owner of the item is tracable ( ie persons id in a lost wallet ) I would try to trace them and return.

But if it is something that is not traceable to its owner I would be tempted to keep it.
watersoul
I've found 5 cell-phones in total, and each time I've called Mum in the contacts folder and managed to get the phone back to the person. I also believe in "what goes around comes around" and have had nearly every phone I've lost returned in a similar way.
I had a strange call once in broken English from someone in Greece who found my friends phone while he was on holiday there - that got back to him because I knew the hotel he was staying at, how cool!

The last time I lost my phone (out partying a bit too hard again), I never got it back though and lost so many numbers of people in its contacts that unless I bump into them again somewhere, we'll never speak again Sad

...learned from my mistakes though and back them all up on my laptop now! Smile
Liu
Bleeeeh why couldn't you guys have picked up my phone than that person at the airport. Sad

Unfortunately no insurance on the phone. The company will be replacing me the phone which is great, but it still sucks to have to go through the trouble, and to make the company lose money. I've had our technician wipe out all the data on the blackberry by sending it a kill signal, and disabled the service so information is safe. However what sucks is that they'll still be able to use the phone under their own service. Way to encourage the xmas spirit
otiscom
Why do you loose so many things in the first place?
ninjakannon
otiscom wrote:
Why do you loose so many things in the first place?

Personally, I don't understand (I mean this - I cannot fully comprehend) how some people lose things so frequently. I'm one of those people who almost never loses something, especially in public. Although I have once or twice in the past.

I tend to keep my items on my person or, if I put them down, I keep them in sight and don't forget about them. Perhaps it's slight paranoia that ensures I don't lose things, then?

How do you, if you're a person who loses things relatively often, manage this? I'm interested in the psychology of it.
Liu
I never said I lose things often.

This is the first cell phone I've lost out of the 7 cell phones I've had. I've lost a wallet 3 years ago, and a checking card maybe 5 years ago. So far nothing has been returned to me.

Also, I think I'm doing pretty well since I'm betting I travel more than the majority of the users here. I take the plane twice almost every week, and stay at hotels constantly, then travel back on weekends to my house. So that's a lot of shuffling with your belongings -- packing, checking in luggage, transfer flights, etc.

Sometimes these things are just hard to avoid, especially when you're in a rush to catch your next flight.

So what "psychology" are you looking for, or what don't you understand? It's not like I want to lose things.
ninjakannon
I was addressing everyone and anyone, really. Because I always keep the things I've got on me in mind, I'll keep a hand on the pocket with my wallet in for example, I don't understand how you can lose things. I realise that people who do lose things often can't be thinking about their belongings very much, are they too trusting or too careless? Or perhaps it's something else. This is what I don't understand.

Liu, you're are doing very well! Only losing 3 important items over the last 5 years isn't bad going. It's unfortunate that none of them have been returned to you.
The last time I lost something was about 2 years ago, my USB stick with a load of work on, this I found nestling under my keyboard. Laugh at me all you wish! Razz Before that I can't remember when I last lost something. I've never lost a mobile phone, nor have I lost my wallet. The terrible disadvantage of not often losing things, though, is that whenever I can't find my keys at the bottom of my bag I get awfully worried, more so than if I was used to it. But the item always crops up.
mbloo
Well my mom gave me a phone after i dropped my 500$ phone on the tile. The new one is a 15$ phone i would say! It has nothing! Sad Oh! The other day my dad found someones wallet and bag with about 12 credit cards and about 240$ in cash! It had the persons ID in it 2! The person lived right up the street from us and had about 20 stairs leading up 2 her house.(its on a hill)! Well the person did not know she lost her things and almost called the police! My dad took 0 things out of the bag and wallet! Very Happy Hes really nice!

-mbloo Very Happy
ForceRun
I just read about a girl who had her Verzn phone stolen and even after she canceled it the phone was still charged to her. I don't know how true the story is, but be careful when something like that gets lost or stolen, cancel it off the get go, and create a whole new account or you could get hit with some heavy bills.
Kitten Kong
I lost my phone the same way, its hard to blame someone for taking such an expensive piece of status symbol. If I saw a blackberry sitting on the ground I would assume that the wanker who left it there doesn't really deserve it if he leaves it sitting around like that. I may not be a nice person, but I have lots of mobile phones Smile
ninjakannon
Kitten Kong wrote:
I lost my phone the same way, its hard to blame someone for taking such an expensive piece of status symbol. If I saw a blackberry sitting on the ground I would assume that the wanker who left it there doesn't really deserve it if he leaves it sitting around like that. I may not be a nice person, but I have lots of mobile phones Smile

Have you forgotten forgetfulness, absent-mindedness and hurry? They are all reasons, and good ones at that, that this "wanker" might have forgotten their item. Perhaps only a "wanker", then, in the sense that they are unlucky for you stole it?

Why not look at it in this way?
Josso
If it's money then there's no point, I take it (obviously not if it's a wallet) but if it's something interesting like a phone there's this small part of me which goes "Hmm, that's a good profit Joss!" but I always end up returning it. Too much of me that has good morales down deep.
Psycho_X52
About your blackberry, didn't you called the police? I knew modern phones (even 9.9$ ones) have a special tracking code Smile

A trucker killed a hooker and took her phone. He used another SIM card, but he was caught on the moment he turned on the phone. And it was't a phone as blackberry.

Hope this helps Smile