FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

OS based on Adobe Flash?

©Wolfie
Hi all!

As we all know; Adobe Flash is fast, light, looks good, friendly and has unlimited program options...

Why isn't Adobe creating a Operating System which runs on totally on flash. And if they make it for special small computers (just like mac with the iPhone but a little bigger) there wouldn't be big problems with hardware compability.

Isn't this a great plan?
Please let me know it.
MrBlueSky
©Wolfie wrote:
Hi all!

As we all know; Adobe Flash is fast, light, looks good, friendly and has unlimited program options...

Why isn't Adobe creating a Operating System which runs on totally on flash. And if they make it for special small computers (just like mac with the iPhone but a little bigger) there wouldn't be big problems with hardware compability.

Isn't this a great plan?
Please let me know it.

Seriously, I can't even begin to describe why this makes no sense. Shocked Wink

When Flash draws a single line it calls several OS-routines. If there was no OS, how would Flash draw a line? It has to do it itself, meaning it needs an entire graphical library, device drivers, window manager, etc. The only reason flash might be light is because most of the work is done by the OS.

Unlimited program options? Does it have an option to protect an area of memory which belongs to a process, so other processes can't write to it? Does it have an option to create interrupt handlers? Does it have an option to make the processor go into kernelmode? etc..
djclue917
©Wolfie wrote:
Hi all!

Isn't this a great plan?
Please let me know it.

Hmmm. Adobe Flash OS. Nice. Ok, how will that even work? Honestly, this is like the most stupid idea I've ever heard of. I mean, come on... Let's go write a kernel in ActionScript! Idea
csoftdev
o well this doesn't make sense at all. how can flash be an os? how can it be even be compared to mac? perhaps you can explain a little more. i cant see how it can work as an os. it must have an os to run so how can it be an os itself unless adobe create a new os of their own, which, do you think they will do that? even so, it's not really "adobe flash os".
SonLight
I disagree with the answers that say "it makes no sense" to make an OS based on Flash. There are some issues about exactly what is meant by that, and it may well turn out to be a poor idea.

Of course, Flash is a high-level interface to existing OS's as it is implemented today. One of it's virtues is that it can readily be ported to any OS. But suppose you wrote an OS specifically built to run Flash? You would probably start with some Linux-like OS, but if Flash is to be the only high-level display, many of the features which support X, etc. could be removed.

The real questions here are whether Flash provides a good model for the primary display interface, and if Flash somehow also makes adequate provisions for other features, such as data storage and communications, that will be needed for a general-purpose OS. I suspect it will not, but it is worth considering.
Arno v. Lumig
An OS based on flash is doesn't make sence either. Flash is too high level, you could use flash applications in an OS, but writing a whole shell around the kernel in Flash would not be a good idea. Flash is made for animated banners etcetera, it's not efficient and it doesn't have anything built in to protect memory, multitask or even do 3D things.

Flash is just a tiny, tiny program compared to an OS. An operating system needs much more then Flash can handle.
LostOverThere
Besides, Flash isn't exactly lightweight. It appears light because it only ever has to handle a file generally no larger then 3mb. Think if it had to handle 1GB?

No way.
BlueVD
Flash is ment only for GUI's.
That is, you can design the graphical user interface in it. But you can't make an OS with it. Certain mobile phones use FlashLite to spice up the UI's (some Sony Ericsson handsets for example have their main menu made in flashlite). But till this moment, there is no handset with the whole GUI made in flash. Now that makes me wonder why. Since flash does provide a whole bundle of stuff... But if you start thinking of it... It's the memory overhaul, the requirements and other stuff. Just a plain and simple clock wallpaper that uses devices fonts and has no imported images can take about 120kb of memory on a handset. Now thinking of the built-in GUI of the phone that takes a whopin' ~200kb for ALL of the functions, I'd say that's a minor disadvantage for Flash... Don't you agree?
As to os'es that have guis based exclusively on flash... You can't make them that easily. The Flash player has a security model. The sandbox is very restrictive when it comes to a lot of common things a GUI in an OS must do. So it would be a pain in the ass.
I do remember however seeing something on linux that could use SWF's to decorate windows. Thus you could have animated titlebars, neat scrollbars, etc. But nobody, and I stress NOBODY, will ever try to make a full GUI in flash unless adobe radically changes a few aspects of the SWF file format.
adeydas
Are you serious?!? What's next... Office Suites made in Photoshop!!!
Studio Madcrow
Flash is COMPLETELY unsuited for this sort of stuff. While Adobe has been trying to position Flash as a competitor to Java (for which, there have been OSes written), it is at its core, still just an animation tool. It's code performance is FAR below that of semi-interpreted languages like Java or even FULLY interpreted languages like Python. An OS for Flash would stink even worse than games written in Flash. If you want to write an internet OS, learn AJAX (Javascript+HTML+CSS+PHP) or, even better, Java.
carlospro7
hmmmm. I agree that flash is cool and all, but not that flash is fast. A flash based OS sounds like a cool idea, but I don't think it'd be fast. Flash games are really slow for instance, and it works with frames, so your operating system would be more like a flash movie....hmm weird.
And if there were ever to exist a flash operating system (doubt it) it would probably, and most likely, face the same hardware compatibility issues that all other operating systems do.
LostOverThere
The biggest issue is Flash is independent on another Operating System (such as Linux or Windows), not on itself.
BrianElliott0218
Get together with other like minded people and make a Linux Distro that can run SWF's right from the Live CD. You could do a lot to improve on it, but you have to get around all the barriers that Adobe might put in your way. You know, Copyright and all that. Look into making Gnash a better Flash plugin first, then you have to enrich your "new environment" with important little addons like a Flash Word Processor that outputs files that can be read by other word processors. Ditto on all those other Office Applications. Spreadsheets, and Presentation software... Now wait a minute! You may be onto something here... A Linux Distro that runs Flash native would be the ideal development platform for Presentations, MiniGames, and websites.

I think the problems outweight the solutions in making this a viable project.

Good luck with it though!
~BE
misterXY
flash eh, look at windows though Smile
i only have supported windows cause i was forced into buying them to set up my linux's
windows itself is a laugh and a half. so adobe has a shot:P
simplyw00x
HAY GAIZ LETS MAKE AN OS THAT'S ALL ONE BIG GIF

no.
romaop
©Wolfie wrote:
Hi all!

Isn't this a great plan?
Please let me know it.

As people said already, an OS is a hard mix of code, much harder than Flash code. Flash is fast because it's much simpler. But an OS is much more powerful.
In an OS there are things like protocol issues (connection requests, responses, confirmations, PDUs, ...), assembly, interrupt requests, register handlers, ...

Anyway, Adobe is developing a thing called AIR that let's people make applications (not OSs). Check out this site:
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/air/
hiquality
Flash needs a Virtual Machine to play (Adobe Flash Player ).I guess building an operating system is a bad bad bad ideea.

Still I saw a funny flash parody that resembled with windows 98 ( Task Bar , Desktop ,StartMenu and a few programs ) It was so cool...I'll try searching it on the internet to see if i can find it again and come back with a post here.
xbow
How about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_operating_system, ok maybe it is not flash and it even run on another os lol.
mOrpheuS
hiquality wrote:
Still I saw a funny flash parody that resembled with windows 98 ( Task Bar , Desktop ,StartMenu and a few programs ) It was so cool...I'll try searching it on the internet to see if i can find it again and come back with a post here.

A google search for "windows.swf" gives me this - http://throbs.net/fun/swf.asp?windows.swf

Pretty funny, too - "Files downloaded. Please wait a few minutes while we waste your time" Laughing

Atleast it boots pretty fast Wink
smakhal
OS on Flash or OS in Flash huh?

First let me know flash run on what?
Is program written in flash is more optimized than program written in c?
Can you write a simplest device driver in flash?
Can you draw a single pixel on screen using flash without your current os?
cvkien
ahaha... i never heard of this kind of idea. how your computer hardware boot to flash?? .swf? flash even need windows to run all it's features... but i believe you can create a complicated flash os inside the os, software base os, not hardware base os. Good Luck!!
simplyw00x
Quote:
ahaha... i never heard of this kind of idea. how your computer hardware boot to flash?? .swf? flash even need windows to run all it's features... but i believe you can create a complicated flash os inside the os, software base os, not hardware base os. Good Luck!!

Thanks for the completely redundant post.

Quote:
flash even need windows to run all it's features

Yup. I mean, I run linux and I just wish I could get on youtube. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
not hardware base os.

Those well-known operating systems that plug into your computer

Quote:
software base os

...alternatively, that non-software based OS, or the OS that runs on software alone.

In conclusion, what the hell are you talking about?
[FuN]goku
HAH!, you'd be better off learning something like C and ASM if you wanted to create an OS.
The best you can do for an OS in flash... is to make a Virtual OS.
And by that i mean... make a sort of flash game that looks like an OS. I've done it a few times when i was a flash junkie. You can probably even make a music player, MAYBE a video player into it. And if you're really talented, you might be able to do an internal scripting language for your "virtual os"

But other than that.. i dont think you can make a fully loaded OS in flash.
pll
Since there is some HTML operating systems (which needs a browser that needs a real os) I think we can do the same thing with flash but.........
We will need to see it through a website like HTML ones.

www.eyeos.org
dac_nip
Really? does this even exist. i think, this would be useless as there are OS out there who are perfectly functioning. you don't need flash os for sure.
simplyw00x
Quote:
Really? does this even exist. i think, this would be useless as there are OS out there who are perfectly functioning. you don't need flash os for sure.

In Soviet Russia, thread doesn't read YOU before posting mindless garbage!

Quote:
Since there is some HTML operating systems (which needs a browser that needs a real os) I think we can do the same thing with flash

Define 'operating system' if you need a "real os"for it to function. An OS isn't just menus and dialogues, you know...

Quote:
But other than that.. i dont think you can make a fully loaded OS in flash.

Actionscript is actually quite an extensive scripting language, and if you could write a flash -> binary compiler then at least a GUI running in flash/AS might be possible (if retarded) but you're right in that the direct memory manipulation and low-level system calls needed by a kernel are simply not in AS.
Flarkis
Wow what an original idea *cough* solaris *cough* no one has ever come up with something like this
xbcd
really, flash as an OS is not thought through. It is extremely processor intencive and it needs an underpinning OS to run it. First let adobe get a good and STABLE version running for LINUX and then lets talk about ADOBE creating an OS.
simplyw00x
Quote:
Wow what an original idea *cough* solaris *cough* no one has ever come up with something like this

The HELL are you talking about?

"The Solaris Operating System, usually known simply as Solaris, is a free Unix-based operating system introduced by Sun Microsystems in 1992 as the successor to SunOS." (from wikipedia)

And this is the same as an OS in flash how?...

Quote:
It is extremely processor intencive and it needs an underpinning OS to run it.

...feel free to read the thread before posting. And fyi, the linux version of Flash is fine.
teko
mOrpheuS wrote:
hiquality wrote:

A google search for "windows.swf" gives me this - http://throbs.net/fun/swf.asp?windows.swf

Pretty funny, too - "Files downloaded. Please wait a few minutes while we waste your time" Laughing

Atleast it boots pretty fast Wink

great link!!
©Wolfie
Of course you can't make a OS of Flash. I decided to say that so you people would react.

As we all know: Flash is getting better and better. Programmers will be able to make programs like WordProcessors or things like these. You can use Flash for that.

Adobe is aware of the fact that they are having a monopoly position. Is that good or bad?

@mOrpheuS
Cool, that windows.swf!

Here an examples of people which tried to make a OS looking system in Javascript, Ajax, php... EyeOS check the demo out! Although it works a bit buggy in Opera it is a nice and innovative idea to combine everything in ONE page.

Some great Flash applications:
http://www.picnik.com/ = online flash-based image editor
http://www.splashup.com/tour/ = online flash-based image editor
http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/02/04/online-photo-editing-overview/ = some online flash-based image editors in a list
http://www.virtub.com/ = buzzword of adobe

These examples show the chances which Flash has in the web. And I see great features!

oh, by the way, is it image-editor or image editor?