FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Too Many Sites (Social Networking Sites)

airh3ad
Friendster, Multiply, MySpace, Flickr, etc etc. If you're getting a migraine dealing with too many sites -- social networking, blogs, photo sharing sites -- then we're in the same boat. What is annoying about these sites is that they block off others. You need to belong to them before you can even join.

But what if you already got your own site? For instance, I maintain my own site using Drupal (an excellent open source content management system), but I also have this blog and blogs about design and the Mac etc. I have to administer these sites separately and with different admin tools. So I wrote a blog about it and the things being done to solve it.
dac_nip
well, that's the projected outcome of computing. It's no doubt they are going into those areas, its where the market and the money. you can start with google, they are starting to implement storing of files like word, spreadsheets etc on their servers so you don't have to rely on your hard disk. microsoft is doing the same with its windows live. now here comes the social networking groups that tries to serve as a meeting point. its all about doing it all in the net these days!
charisco
Not too familiar with the other sites you mentioned, but I know myspace gives me a migraine at times as well.

One thing that drives me crazy with myspace is all the spam messages and friend requests you get. It also drives me crazy when you get the error message when trying to send or reply to a message.

But, I feel that myspace can be a good thing for reconnecting with old friends. That is one of the main reasons I have not deleted my account yet.
sambhav
Surfing the social networking sites is certainly a time waste. I am not addicted but still a user of orkut.com and I really dont feel like spending time talking to ppl as there are so many of them.
Jaspa
Hi all Very Happy

I'm not a member of any of those sites, no.. not even My Space. To be honest, I don't know how people find the time to be members of all these different 'social networking sites'. I mean... I find myself going around the forums for what is probably far too much time. and yet I've just signed up here Shocked

Would you say I was addicted? Confused
KatanaSky
airh3ad wrote:
Friendster, Multiply, MySpace, Flickr, etc etc. If you're getting a migraine dealing with too many sites -- social networking, blogs, photo sharing sites -- then we're in the same boat. What is annoying about these sites is that they block off others. You need to belong to them before you can even join.

But what if you already got your own site? For instance, I maintain my own site using Drupal (an excellent open source content management system), but I also have this blog and blogs about design and the Mac etc. I have to administer these sites separately and with different admin tools. So I wrote a blog about it and the things being done to solve it.

I use Myspace to stay in touch with friends (I've moved around a lot) but we only exchange an occasional message here and there - I have an account on Friendster ...but I don't use that much at all but most of my friends on there are actually relatives.

Forums forums forums... I don't even know how many forums I'm a member of - some long forgotten, some I frequent regular, and some I stop by once in a while.
loryl
It's all a business yo. Myspace has loads of ads. Even Facebook has them now. None of them like competitors; hence the "separate-ness". -_-
insolent1
Will these sites be finished somehow?
Or these sites become bigger and bigger?
urbanbuddha
I find that social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace aren't really for networking. I mean, most of the people you add to your supposed friend's list are people you KNOW and are already acquainted with. Can it really be called social networking if you're only solidifying the relationships with the people you currently are already acquainted with?

I thought the purpose of so-called social networking sites was to meet new people and expand your network. XD
airh3ad
Well ..That's not to count Yahoo! 360 (inactive), Orkut (inactive and forgotten), Twitter and dozens of invitations to Facebook, Friendster, Amazon (yes, they now have social networking!), LinkedIn, Flickr, Zooomr, hamster, monster and oyster. Okay, those last three were jokes, but in the age of the Net, who knows? Smile

I like Twitter a lot because it's a fast way to send vibes to the ether, so I tried inviting my friend Rej, who promptly said, "Another one? I'm tired of them."

She's got a point. For the longest time, I've been refusing to join Friendster my space . My friend Marian wanted me to comment on her blogs and when I tried, Friendster refused and told me flat out that I should first be a member. And then what? Have an empty Friendster website?

I had the same feeling with Multiply, but my friends and family kept flooding me with invites until I had to give in.

My annoyance is multiplied (ahem) by the fact that once you get locked in one site, you're pretty much locked in. So my friends at Friendster can't really join my Multiply network and vice versa etc.

What we need is more open social networking. My ideal one allows full interoperability with anything, and it would have: bigger and bigger networking sites .maybe they just collecting private information.
Indyan
You are right. The social networking market is expanding like crazy currently, so its only natural that a new social networking website would show up every alternate day. But this cant and wont go on for ever. Most of these sites would close down one this sector becomes a bit more stagnant in a couple of years.
smokey4life
Everyone here has made good points on this matter, i am one sick of the hundreds of social networking sites popping up all over the net. There are far too many of them and when it comes down to it they all basically do the same damn thing! They have the same feature and the same setup with small minimal layout and theme differences. How can you possibly be a member of 30 different social networking sites and keep up with them all i don't understand the whole point of them myself. I mean if they had more purpose then maybe they would be a little more ideal but i rarely see any good point to any of them other then just simply re-connecting with old friends or something of that nature. I like the idea of a social networking site (in theory) but there needs to be a goal or a point to them for me to gain interest just to get on something like myspace and see how many so called friends i can add up and how many picture and page comments i can possibly get just seems very dumb to me.
loryl
urbanbuddha: Just because that's all YOU use Facebook for doesn't mean it's all that it's capable of being used for. Off the top of my head, Facebook has search functions by interest and (used to be) by class. I'm sure there's others. It's hardly just a "add only your friends that you know already" site if you know how to use it.

And no, social networking doesn't mean just forging new relationships. It can also mean improving already established ones, or just places where people hang out and "socialize" over the 'net for the sole purpose of interacting with others (ie: not games or homework or anything). Most sites allow you to "own" something, ie: a profile, and let you share it with other people.
minty
I don't mind those sites too much, however, I have never spent more than an hour on them at a time. And usually it is trying to get my page to look right. For instance, I have zombies from the comic series "The Walking Dead" that I put for the background of
Code:

table table table, div table table

This gives an effect that as you scroll down the screen the zombies stay still within the tables, as the body background is black and the rest of the text moves. Kind of makes it like you are looking at the zombies through multiple windows!!! The issue is that sometimes when you view my page it works, and other times the background moves with the page, completely messing up the effect Mad !! Makes me soooooo mad!!!

Anywho check it out. It is here on MySpace <---not a link to myspace itself, but to my profile instead

--minty
ftv_flung
I definitely agree with you - there are LOADS of social networks, all trying to make it big in the business.

I belong to Facebook and MySpace. I use Facebook the most though.

I did used to have a Bebo account, but I grew out of it, it's really not that great either.

Another thing is that they all try to be like each other, especially with their new features. You think, "Oh, MySpace has a new feature... Status updates, hang on - that's on Facebook!! WTF?!".

And has ANYONE moved over to the *new* MySpace Home page (where you can edit profile, manage photos etc.) ??????

If you can't manager the different interfaces, you're probably too old for social networking Wink lol XD
FFXclan
airh3ad wrote:

Not to mention your boss can login to see what your occupations are. Even during assessments you are being screened
garionw
I'd like to see a site that uses API's (for the ones avaible) to automatically manage multiple accounts.
airh3ad
Social Network Sites are good Invesment today ! a lot of people encourage to join and addicted to this things.
The next killer social networking site will be the one that is capable of combining other networking sites.Because most popular social networking sites do not yet offer a public API, this killer site will most likely be similar to gaim/pidgin where you can log in to multiple accounts simultaneously. This killer site will most likely do screen scraping in the absence of a clean interface such as XML..
Vlien
Social networking can be frustrating at times. I have this example many girls will recognise themselves in. It can become destructive when it comes to relationships. Say, a boy and a girl are in the same network (ex. myspace). Many girls feel pushed to check upon their boyfriend's messages every day to keep track of what he does on the net, the other girls he knows... I know this might sound freakish and jealous and all, but I've been there, and many of my friends have. Messages can have a double meaning, and then you start wondering what they mean and you cannot ask him - most guys are annoyed by that. Anyways, there's not much good about these networks. They say you keep in touch with old friends, but in the end, they are just "in your list" and nothing more and you still forget about them Smile
Aless
Agreed! It gets hard to keep track of them all after a while. Besides, it kinda defeats the point to have so many...if you want to be within reach of everyone, you have to join 20 of those things, whereas if there were just the ONE, everyone could join the same one and be connected to everyone else much easier.
theem
I think everyday there'z a new social networking website ...

and every other webmaster is trying to make one for himself ...

i have accounts on hi5 myspace facebook netlog etc..
the popular ones.. Arrow
deathdefier
urbanbuddha wrote:
I find that social networking sites like Facebook and MySpace aren't really for networking. I mean, most of the people you add to your supposed friend's list are people you KNOW and are already acquainted with. Can it really be called social networking if you're only solidifying the relationships with the people you currently are already acquainted with?

I thought the purpose of so-called social networking sites was to meet new people and expand your network. XD

True but it's a good way to keep in touch with them
Vrythramax
airh3ad wrote:
Well ..That's not to count Yahoo! 360 (inactive), Orkut (inactive and forgotten), Twitter and dozens of invitations to Facebook, Friendster, Amazon (yes, they now have social networking!), LinkedIn, Flickr, Zooomr, hamster, monster and oyster. Okay, those last three were jokes, but in the age of the Net, who knows? Smile ...

A bit off-topic here (by me that is), but when you said monster was a joke...it isn't. monster.com was the very first website to be placed publicly on the then new World Wide Web (sometime in 1995 if I'm not mistaken).
iyepes
I don't like having many diferent profiles in many diferent networks, it's hard to maintain a updated copy of the things you want to show in every single profile I'm in. I use Facebook, mainly because lots of my friends and people I know (or I knew in my school days) have a profile there. So is the way to be in touch or re-contact people.

However, Facebook is like a playground for children, everybody speaks aloud and has no decent blog, so I still keep my windows live profile, to post my poetry and things like that. Not many people knows it, it's like my secret public place in internet.

I have other social networks, you know, the ones to meet people, just a couple of good pictures and check them time to time. I haven't dated a single man from them, but, I'll still trying. Wink
airh3ad
Lets back SNS History According to the definition above, the first recognizable social network site launched in 1997. SixDegrees.com allowed users to create profiles, list their Friends and, beginning in 1998, surf the Friends lists. Each of these features existed in some form before SixDegrees, of course. Profiles existed on most major dating sites and many community sites. AIM and ICQ buddy lists supported lists of Friends, although those Friends were not visible to others. Classmates.com allowed people to affiliate with their high school or college and surf the network for others who were also affiliated, but users could not create profiles or list Friends until years later. SixDegrees was the first to combine these features..
I like having profiles in SNS cos it easy to connect & dicussing my friends and relatives but i dnt update it now how ever im addicted to used friendster it easy and good SNS site.
akshar
its just matter of some time and most of them will disappear from the net or will remain alive for namesake. I guess every internet buzz is soon overshadowed by something else waiting around the corner.
Kitten Kong
I'm on facebook and I really love the way that everyone of my friends friends are networked on there as well, it has allowed me to find old friends that I had not seen in years. I do hate the fact that apart from the networking ability all it is used for is juvenile poking that has filled my inbox with more bullcrap than ever and of course I have to reply to a lot of it so as to not alienate my annoying friends. My girlfriend spends hours joining different groups as well, but of course once she has joined that is the end of it. Bloody facebook. Is anyone else annoyed at the crappy addons everyone wants you to constantly install?
dac_nip
come to think of it, do the security agents have access to this social networking sites? It's a good source of information, you can get a lot of background and data on the subject. obviously, this sites wont allow it, but the thing in the internet is that everything can be theoretically tap and listened to. i should limit myself from joining into these sites!
airh3ad
Yes obviously SNS is a source of information thats true really true cos a lot of cases around the world they get private information through SNS . maybe FBI , NBI, police etc.. or cyber crime group they have access to this things .what happend that you aggre the terms conditions in SNS sites? [/code]
exarkun
Well well well, maybe some said that facebook isn't for socialing, but are you sure? You get to do cool actions like poking your friends, play some rpg together with them and this definitely will strengthen the bond between friends.

And you can get to know friends of friends too. Wink
fortune
Facebook
Mixi
MySpace
Apple ~sns~
Fovour
Crucnhpof

Those are Japanese sites but it's really good.
I think facebook is good but there is too many users that is school student
so I think everyone would play games or send message to someone.
ashish2005
Yup there are so many social networking sites these days. They sometimes give me a headache.

For me at first there was only hi5 that I knew of, all of my friends were on hi5. Then I was watching TV one day and found about myspace. So, I joined myspace. Then all my friends from hi5 were moving to facebook. I moved to facebook too. Then hundreds of other social networking sites appeared and some friends were inviting me to flixster, some were inviting me to factbook and others were inviting me to some other social networking site and so on. I have decided not to join any other social networking sites now. I just love facebook.
j_f_k
no replacement for getting out and

smelling the flowers

perhaps I'm too old fashioned.
airh3ad
Facebook- is a social utility that connects
you with the people around you.

Myspace
- a place for friends
fliker- Photo Sharing
hi5- who is in?
Friendster -is a leading global social network emphasizing genuine friendships and the discovery of new people through friends
Samarsurf.com -- Accept loCal surftour (my own site) Very Happy
Those all SNS site Slogan encourage us !