FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

AMD Penom - They are here.

DarkAkira
Wasn't sure if anyone knew yet, but the fist of the Phenom series of processors from AMD have been released.

Currently available in 2.2GHz and 2.3GHz (more to come), they are completetly redesigned from the original Athlon series. Very nice. Very overclockable.

* CPU Socket Type: Socket AM2+
* Core: Agena
* Multi-Core : Quad-Core
* Name: Phenom 9500
* Operating Frequency: 2.2GHz & 2.3 GHz
* HT: 3600MHz
* L1 Cache: 4 x 128KB
* L2 Cache: 4 x 512KB
* L3 Cache: 2MB
* Manufacturing Tech: 65 nm
* 64-bit Support: Yes
* Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
* Virtualization Technology Support: Yes
* Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4a,3DNOW! Professional
* Voltage: 1.10/1.15/1.20/1.25V
* Thermal Power: 95W

Units sell for about: $240 (2.2GHz) - $270 (2.3GHz)
SamiTheBerber
This would be very nice, when I'm going to build a new computer. For now I don't even have a dual core, but with new Phenoms, this might be fixed Wink
DarkAkira
I plan on getting a few for a couple of systems I have. At that price, why not?
jackill
Nice, waiting for first tests Smile But still E2140 & E4300 are the best choice, and value for money.
emem
Yeah, I'm also waiting for the benchmarks and tests to see what can these do against intel's quad cores. Let's hope they're good so we should finally see the battle between processor giants.
DarkAkira
I've already seen quite a few tests.

For the most part, they are pretty even. Intel wins some, AMD wins some. And then there are a bunch that they are EXTREMELY close in (almost tied).

This was compared to the Intel Core 2 Quad and the Core 2 Extreme.

I'm not biased of Intel or anything, but I do prefer AMD. My personal preference in processors.

I do recommend this one though. Powerhouse. And it leaves room for expandability. The main attractiveness with this model is hat comes with it. For example.

Now there is socket AM2+ which support the Phenom series, and all of the previous AM2 processors. Also, the new socket supports DDR2 1066 RAM. This is the first socket that I have seen supporting this ram. I have seen 1066 DDR3, but not DDR2.

Another cool thing is the new HT Speed on the processors. They are now clocked at 3.6 GHz. That is a HUGE jump from the original 1000 MHz HT speed of the other AMD processors. And the socket AM2+ supports up to 5.6 GHz HT Speeds. I find that to be amazing in itself.

Yet another cool feature of the new socket is the use of PCI-e x16 2.0 slots. One of the first ASUS motherboards to be released for this new processor has 4x 2.0 slots on it, which are 2x's faster than PCI-e x16. This allows for up to 4 8800 GT's in your system. Some good gaming power right there.

The Phenoms (last I checked) are also compatible with socket AM3 (not yet out) which supports DDR3 RAM. So you dont have to buy a bunch of new hardware to upgrade to DDR3 RAM. Just a new mobo, and the RAM.