FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Night Shift Work & Cancer

prole
[quote]Workers on the night shifts at bars, convenience stores, hospitals and other venues may be putting themselves at heightened risk for cancer.

That's the conclusion of an international group of experts who plan to add night shift work to the official list of "probable" carcinogens.

A team of scientists at the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) pored over human epidemiological data, animal study results, and studies looking at possible mechanisms linking night work to tumor formation.[quote]

link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20071206/hl_hsn/nightshiftworkmayheightenriskforcancer;_ylt=Amg8LpPQmjbq71cSXJAW.h3VJRIF
TBSC
Quote:
Workers on the night shifts at bars, convenience stores, hospitals and other venues may be putting themselves at heightened risk for cancer.

That's the conclusion of an international group of experts who plan to add night shift work to the official list of "probable" carcinogens.

A team of scientists at the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) pored over human epidemiological data, animal study results, and studies looking at possible mechanisms linking night work to tumor formation.

link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20071206/hl_hsn/nightshiftworkmayheightenriskforcancer;_ylt=Amg8LpPQmjbq71cSXJAW.h3VJRIF

There are reports of all sorts of things causing cancer. What we need to focus on is what to eat/drink/take in order to reduce cancer risks...because it seems almost anything can cause it.
benjmd
It's a decent study but it's just one study and I'm not sure that you can really alter too many people's lives without follow-up studies to show that the results are real. It's quite unlikely to alter nightshift work because we rely on having nightshift work (like at the hospital). Hopefully though it'll get those people to think extra about their health and what positive things they can do to offset any risk from their work.
edzofcit
That's pretty shocking because I'm working in Night Shifts. Hope this can be prevented just by having good sleep and rest, and having a healthy diet. As for us, we have no choice because we are in an outsourcing company, and all our clients are in the other half of the globe.
Cddhesh
As everyone believe "Nights are ment for sleeping".That is,Men should sleep in night.This is not true at all.Some of my friends work in BPO on night shift.In the day they sleep well, have healthy diet prepare themself fit for might work.Initially they found it difficult,but now they are fit and fine.I myself a "night study guy" ie My studies goes well at night.I cant remember a single word if i get up early in the mormimg and study.Some are exactly opposite. Laughing .I complete my sleep in bus.
SSo it all depends on your habbits.
Afaceinthematrix
Wow, I think breathing causes cancer. New studies showing that something causes cancer come up almost everyday, so I don't worry about it. The important thing is just to make sure that you eat right and exercise.
loryl
Cancer is totally hyped up by the media.

I don't think cancer should be blamed purely on carcinogens. What a lot of people are avoiding is that we gorge on way too much food. Developed countries, in general, are obese.

If you ate 2/3rds of your recommended calorie intake and maintained an otherwise healthy diet, you wouldn't get cancer. (Poorer) people in developing countries never get cancer. I'm sure many of them out there work night shifts. Wink

This is because your cells cannot divide forever. There are regions at the end of your chromosomes called "telomeres". Every time your cells divide, the telomeric region gets shorter. When it's unbareably short (barring cells that have telomerase), your cells stop dividing; if they didn't stop, coding regions of chromosomes may be truncated (so this protects you from having mutated cells). Human cells can only divide about 50 times before they become senescent. This is known as the Hayflick limit.

Studies out there show that senescent cells may provide a better environment for the growth of cancerous cells. Thus, something that is protective early in life may have detrimental effects later in life.

Calories and food encourage your cells to grow. If you want to reduce your chances of getting cancer, you should:

1. eat less.
2. drink red wine (or anything that has reservatol).
3. be happy.
4. inherit good genes.
Lord Klorel
I heard a few months about it, but i think that there is no relation between nightly work & cancer.
There are more jobs that can give more chance on cancer. Before i believe this all, i must see all the research materials that can proof this statement.