FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

What's Your Favourite Video Game Magazine?

eday2010
How many people still read game magazines monthly?

I used to read GamePro every month for about 4 years back in the 1990's. It was a great magazine. I liked the format, the writing, personas used by the editors...pretty much everything. I also bought EGM once in a while too, but I nevr liked it as much as GamePro. Once the 16-bit systems passed away, I stopped following gaming and such since I wasn't as interested in the systems that came after. The last issue of GamePro I had bought was January 1997.

Since I plan on buying a Wii soon, I thought I would familiarize myself with the magazines again since I want to subscribe to one or two of them when I get a new console. Last week I bought my first ossue of GamePro in over 10 years. Needless to say I did not like it. Everything has changed. Instead of looking like a fun game magazine like it used to, it looks like something akin to Time or Discover. No more personas, no more fun colours; everything is more serious. That might be great for some, but personally I read these magazines for fun, so I like them to be fun. Plus some of my favourite sections are gone. So it is not looking good for GamePro as far as getting a subscription from me.

I have also checked out Hardcore Gamer Magazine. I like it, but there doesn't seem to be enough in the magazine. It's not as expansive as other magazines and doesn't cover as much stuff consistently as other magazines do. But I like the layout and the overall fun look of the pages. But they don't have a letters section (which I enough in every type of magazine) or a news or gossip section, even though these are supplimented on the site (GamePro is the same way). But I buy magazines because I don't want to have to site at my computer to read something.

I still have to check out EGM and Game Informer. What do others think of these two magazines (as well as Play)? And what do you think of HGM and GamePro. How about Nintendo Power? Since I will be getting a Wii, this is another option for me as well. We had a subscription to it for a year when I was growing up and I remember it being quite good, though I was (and still am) a big Sega fan.

After seeing the December issue of GamePro, I really wish I had kept my old issues from the 1990's. Nothing beats the December 1992 issue which was a nice 272 pages, though the December 1992 issue of EGM was 290 pages; that was pretty awesome too. The November 1992 and Jaunary 1993 issues of GamePro were also huge.
McDucque
My friend subscribes to EGM, so I read those frequently and they seem to be pretty enjoyable and somewhat okay in the reviewing dept.

Another friend of mine is actually a double subscriber to Nintendo Power. Has been for several years. She'll get one in the mail to read and another one to keep stored. She's kinda crazy like that. I've always liked nintendo power.
eday2010
Nintendo Power was cool, even though I was more of a Sega fan. It will be another magazine I'll need to check out. Your friend sounds like she does something I would do if I really liked a certain magazine. Plus the fact that she's a girl makes it cool Smile
vonboy
I'm on Nintendo power at the moment. It's a fairly playful and not serious magazine, so you might want to check it out. The reviews are not biased if you think they might be since nintendo owns them (well, used to own.) they will give a game a 4 out of 10 if it deserves it.
eday2010
I noticed that back in the day that they gave harsh reviews to games that deserved it. They can't really be biased since they do have to compete with other magazines. So if they give "Termite Mud Wrestling" 8/10 when all the other magazines give it 2/10, and people buy it because of what they read in NP, they will have many angry readers, and possibly many former readers.

It will be the next magazine I check out. I am currently reading through EGM, and while it's pretty skinny (not ever 100 pages), so far I like it. How I miss the days of 300- and 400-page magazines around Christmas. The game industry doesn't seem as competitive as it was 14 years ago.
GeoS
Being English I probably can't speak for American mags, but being a PC Gamer and owning Wii and 360 I prefer Multiformat mags. Of these, theres about 4 in the UK, Edge, GamesMaster, CVG and GamesTM. GamesTM is my favourite; GamesMaster is far too dumbed down and childlike, whilst CVG and Edge have a few reviews I don't really agree with.

As a wannabe games developer (until recently, anyway) I also like that the Multiformat mags tend to have a more mature, 'care about the industry' approach, and are the least biased you'll hope to find. Understandably doesn't make much sense if you only own one format, though. Wink
eday2010
I only plan on getting a Wii, so while I like reading about all consoles, it won't be necessary. I'll have to pick a magazine based on how useful it is and how enjoyable and fun it is to read. I used to love GamePro because growing up we had an SNES, and I loved Sega, though I didn't get a Genesis until later. So I liked reading about the SNES games I could play as well as the games coming out for the Genesis. Today, I don't really care about the PS3 or 360, so if I don't get any info on those systems, I won't mind. It will be a few more months before I need to get a subscription to a magazine.

I wish we had Retro Gamer in North America. I can buy it at one shop downtown, but because it is imported from the UK, it costs $18. That's a bit high for a magazine in my eyes.
kicy
right now, I get the magazine that comes with gamestop discount card. Its pretty good. I used to get Nintendo Power, but it had a lot of advertisements for their own games. I like a magazine that talks about all the systems.
eday2010
kicy wrote:
right now, I get the magazine that comes with gamestop discount card.

Is that Game Informer?
Wesker
I prefer Game Informer and EGM, but they've been degrading in quality in recent months.

Nintendo Power recently went through a massive overhaul, and they are looking really good lately.
infobankr
Its not a "magazine", but a comic book - Sonic the Hedgehog!
Kelcey
I don't read gaming magazines anymore. but way back Gamefan was my favorite.
eday2010
Kelcey wrote:
I don't read gaming magazines anymore. but way back Gamefan was my favorite.

You might like Hardcore Gamer then. They seem to have modelled themselves after GameFan.

I boughtan issue of Nintendo Power on Thursday. So Far it's not bad. IT's much better than GamePro, but I still think I like EGM the best thus far. I wish GamePro hadn't changed everything about the magazine. It used to be awesome in the early 90's.
deathdefier
PC Gamer ftw
Afaceinthematrix
For two years I read Game Informer every month, and that is the only game magazine I ever read. I didn't really like it because all of the articles were written from a bias point-of-view. If the person writing the article didn't enjoy FPS and they were writing about one, they would automatically talk about the whole game being horrible - even if it was a good game.
eday2010
deathdefier wrote:
PC Gamer ftw

That's mature, not to mention unrelated. I was asking about video game magazines, not computer game magazines. I can teach you the difference between the two one day since you obviously cannot tell them apart.

Afaceinthematrix wrote:
For two years I read Game Informer every month, and that is the only game magazine I ever read. I didn't really like it because all of the articles were written from a bias point-of-view. If the person writing the article didn't enjoy FPS and they were writing about one, they would automatically talk about the whole game being horrible - even if it was a good game.

I didn't find that to be a problem with GamePro or EGM. They usually didn't have editors who didn't like certain genre of games reviewing that genre. EGM did it once in a blue moon with Sushi-X who didn't like RPG, but with how they have their reviews set up, his went against 3 others, and he'd always state he didn't like RPGs. But sometimes he'd still say it was a great game.

I am only halfway through my issue of Nintendo Power, but it still looks like EGM will be the victor.
kicy
eday2010 wrote:
kicy wrote:
right now, I get the magazine that comes with gamestop discount card.

Is that Game Informer?

Yea that is it, but I usally just like looking trough video game magiznes for the pictures and game concepts since I can't play every game there is.
eday2010
I am curious to read Game Informer, but I cannot find it on the newsstands since they barely sell that magazine on the stands. And since we don't have GameStop here, I can't get a copy. I've heard mixed things about Game Informer.
vonboy
I'm liking the humor in nintendo power wight now, but theres so many ads in it now too. i wuess its because it's the holidays, and there more people willing to pay them the money to advertise thier games.
Sparda
I use to get the Game Informer magazines a few years ago. I relished it didn't come in much of use to me though. I think it is better using the internet to find out about games than ordering magazines. Magazines come in once a month when I can check the internet any day.
vonboy
yes, but magazines inform me about little known games that i may have never known about any other way. granted, most of them are crap, but there are a few gems (like mercury meltdown revolution)
bigdan
I like a good magazine...I can sit on the toilet and have a read, give my eyes a rest from a computer screen for a while.

I used to subscribe to Hyper and PC Powerplay for a while, but then cancelled it when I went to university.
eday2010
Sparda wrote:
I use to get the Game Informer magazines a few years ago. I relished it didn't come in much of use to me though. I think it is better using the internet to find out about games than ordering magazines. Magazines come in once a month when I can check the internet any day.

But how reliable are sites? They are under pressure from advertisers to give good reviews; moreso than a magazine. I mean, look what happened at Gamespot where the one editor was fired for giving Kane & Lynch a 6/10 after Eidos whined and moaned and threatened to pull their ads.

I found Nintendo Power to be okay. For humour, Hardcore Gamer is great, as is the layout, but it doesn't seem to have enough in it. EGM was the winner of my reading poll.

as for ads, every magazine will always have lots of ads. Almost half the magazine will be ads. Every month, every year. But some of the ads are fun to read Smile
Fake
PC gamer australian edition
Good to read reviews of professional people,rather than kids on forums Very Happy
Urban
I like to read PC Gamer. I was always reading Nintendo Power but since they released the Wii they (of course) only talk about it on their magazine and I only have a GameCube.. But for PC games, PC Gamer is the best magazine I have found, I like the humoristic way they write their articles!
gudines
I like to read EGM
bigdan
Fake wrote:
PC gamer australian edition
Good to read reviews of professional people,rather than kids on forums Very Happy

I never read that one. I don't think my local newsagency ever carried it!