FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Keeping a good tone

thewebkid
I have an issue to where I am consistently trying to keep a tone on my body. I weigh about 170 and am five feet seven inches. I work out not regularly but about two days out of the week. Only because I don't have many resources. I have a treadmill, a jump rope, and me, lol. I am trying to lose some fat on my body, just to look toned. My arms and legs are pretty big for my size. My chest is getting there, but that dreadful stomache is still haunting me. Does anyone know a good way to lose some ft on my stomache. Tips for eating, exercise and anything else that may be useful. I play sports too and run alot, I just can't lose it.
Vlien
Maybe, but this may be rather extreme, you could try this new kind of diet where you have your blood tested and get a thorough analysis of things you should and shouldn't eat (but you'll be in the kitchen a lot: weighing your food, adapting the food to your own specific needs). It worked perfectly for my grandmother, good example because she came from a BMI that was as high as 36!
thewebkid
Where would I go about doing that? I don't think that people just advertise that just anywhere. It may work, because I could never find out what foods are good for me and what isn't. I have to disrupt my "set point" and boost my metabolic rate anyway I can. Food plays a major role in that area. Do you think that not eating breakfast could be a cause as well?
driftingfe3s
First try focusing on your diet. Try eating as much as you can of natural whole unprocessed foods like vegetables, nuts and fruits. Try and avoid processed meats like bologna and try to avoid red meat, and if you really want to eat red meat try to get the type that is from organic fed cows. Instead, get your proteins from fish, chicken and turkey. Fish has good fats (omega 6), to try to make that your main source of protein.

Try to avoid all processed foods, that's basically anything in a package sold at the store! I know that's hard to do, so when you do buy processed food always check the nutrition label and ingredients. Avoid food's with high sodium, high fructose corn syrup, anything that is hydrogenated, and anything that has a lot of sugar.

As for working out, you should try to workout at least 3 times a week for 30-45 mins or longer if you have the time. I was the most cut when I was back in high school when I ran five or more times a week training for cross country, track or a marathon. Cardio in addition to a good diet is the best way to loose weight. Currently I'm doing only weight lifting to gain some mass, but I'm going to have to start running at least 3 times a week agian when I want to get really lean and cut.
RubySlasher
Eat nothing but seaweed and sushi, and fight bears daily.
thewebkid
driftingfe3s wrote:
First try focusing on your diet. Try eating as much as you can of natural whole unprocessed foods like vegetables, nuts and fruits. Try and avoid processed meats like bologna and try to avoid red meat, and if you really want to eat red meat try to get the type that is from organic fed cows. Instead, get your proteins from fish, chicken and turkey. Fish has good fats (omega 6), to try to make that your main source of protein.

Try to avoid all processed foods, that's basically anything in a package sold at the store! I know that's hard to do, so when you do buy processed food always check the nutrition label and ingredients. Avoid food's with high sodium, high fructose corn syrup, anything that is hydrogenated, and anything that has a lot of sugar.

As for working out, you should try to workout at least 3 times a week for 30-45 mins or longer if you have the time. I was the most cut when I was back in high school when I ran five or more times a week training for cross country, track or a marathon. Cardio in addition to a good diet is the best way to loose weight. Currently I'm doing only weight lifting to gain some mass, but I'm going to have to start running at least 3 times a week agian when I want to get really lean and cut.

Hmmm thanks for the tips. It's pretty hard not to eat processed foods when your girlfriends mom only feeds you that stuff. The chicken that I can eat, would that have to be grilled? Isn't that the healthiest chicken around? Also, can I eat any kind of turkey, or just plain turkey? When I work out since I am limited in resources and my ankle still hasn't fully healed, what should I do? I have a rope and a treadmill right now, but I can't really go outside since it's freezing cold everyday. Should I work on my stomache and chest doing pushups and situps? Or is there another way?
TBSC
driftingfe3s wrote:

I agree, cardio and cutting calories are the best ways to get trim fast. I have heard a lot of raves about the adkins diet...does anyone have good experiences with that? You are allowed around 30 grams of carbohydrate a day, depending.
rammeh

Hmmm thanks for the tips. It's pretty hard not to eat processed foods when your girlfriends mom only feeds you that stuff. The chicken that I can eat, would that have to be grilled? Isn't that the healthiest chicken around? Also, can I eat any kind of turkey, or just plain turkey? When I work out since I am limited in resources and my ankle still hasn't fully healed, what should I do? I have a rope and a treadmill right now, but I can't really go outside since it's freezing cold everyday. Should I work on my stomache and chest doing pushups and situps? Or is there another way?

Both really great tips! I myself never gain weight. People think I'm anorexic but I actually eat like a raging horse. Cool It's pretty emberassing.
thewebkid
What do I do if I need to lose just the fat around my stomache and chest. I don't want them bigger right now, I just want to lose some of the fat that is there so that I can go down to my old waist again. Also, what do I need to do or eat to have energy. I feel I am lacking lot's of energy and cannot go the distance when working out.
TBSC
thewebkid wrote:
What do I do if I need to lose just the fat around my stomache and chest. I don't want them bigger right now, I just want to lose some of the fat that is there so that I can go down to my old waist again. Also, what do I need to do or eat to have energy. I feel I am lacking lot's of energy and cannot go the distance when working out.

Hey Webkid, have you tried the adkins or protein power diets? I have more constant energy, especially in things like distance running, when I eat high protein/fat and low carb. Carbs make me sleepy and low energy.
Drawingguy
If your ankle's hurt, you can't go outside, and you're not aiming to go all extreme, that really cuts your options. I would have suggested biking, to kind of keep the weight off a hurt ankle, but as you said, it's too cold. Then, I would say, join a pool, and swim, but a lot of people aren't committed to that kind of thing, so never mind that as well.

Remember, though, that you can't lose weight in specific parts of your body- weight goes down in proportions in all fat deposits, meaning legs, waist, chest, neck, back, everything.

The best thing I can say, is to go outside anyway, and take the cold. It's really not that bad. I play basketball year round, mostly outdoors, and in the winter, when I play, I can't wear gloves due to the nature of the game. So in comparison, I'll say that if you dress warmly, you'll be fine. Uncomfortable at first, maybe, but happier in the long run, probably.
icecool
thewebkid wrote:

i don't know your circumstances at all. are you male / female? drink/ work physically? young / old? just to say you feel you are to big and expect a solution is expecting alot. lok at the causes.

do you work alot on the computer? spend time sitting down, maybe hunched over? you say you work out - well, so do i, twivce a week, for about 5 minutes. running? i'm getting to old for that.

if you live a relatively healthy life, balanced in what you do, eat and drink, you sould be as fit as can be. i'm by no means as fit as i could be but i know why and that's really the first step of getting things back into balance.

good luck.
cheers
thewebkid
I am a male, web designer and graphic artist. My ankles are better now, but I have to be careful with whatever I do, because they are still week. I could play sports out in the cold, but I am more likely to play when I am with a group of friends. I haven't had that luck here. My energy is depleting, I am sleepy at the wheel sometimes and catch my breath often. Now I weigh 180 and I just can't seem to keep weight off. I don't eat as much, but it still haunts me. Any solutions. Also, I don't smoke or do drugs.
zordrek
สเ๊ ์ํ๎ใ๎ ๑๎๎แ๙ๅํ่้ Smile Idea
furtasacra
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a dietary expert, but I can tell you a few things that I have found helpful for getting flubber off my waistline.

Eat a high-fiber breakfast.
Fiber One cereal is horrible stuff, but I eat it every day. It looks like an electron microscope picture of bacteria, and tastes like lightly sweetened cardboard, but it's low calorie, crunchy, VERY filling, and quite palatable if you douse it with low-fat milk and smother it with berries or bananas. Did I mention it's very filling?

Chromium picolinate. You can buy a three month's supply at most drugstores for about ten bucks. Taken regularly, it tends to destroy my appetite. I've seen diet aids sold on tv for 49.95 for a ONE month supply, and the main ingredient is: chromium picolinate. Save yourself $140 and just get it at the drugstore, on the vitamin aisle.

Yoga is good. I'm not talking about Pilates. Just plain old yoga, which involves breathing exercises, stretching, and meditation, which reduces stress. Less stress is good, whether or not you are trying to lose weight. However, being stretched and relaxed makes it easier to do the exercises that will actually trim your waist.

Once again, I am not a doctor or an expert. I'm just a short woman who has been fighting horrible addictions to chocolate, pastries, and rich, creamy cheeses for over twenty years.

Another disclaimer: Please consult a physician before following my advice. Everybody is different, and what works for me might kill you.

Edit: I am also addicted to pastries FILLED with chocolate or rich, creamy cheeses.
thewebkid
Yeah, I always find myself hungry. No matter how much I have eaten. Even though I have smaller servings at lunch and dinner now, I feel the need to snack all the time. I know that's dangerous, because I love pastries, pies, cakes, reeses, the whole works. How can I get my metabolism rolling? It's about 30 degrees everyday here and I am so busy. I can't go outside, because it's too cold. What are some in house exercises I can do without any machines?
tijn01
Make sure you have a balanced diet, work on you abdominal mm and your pecs and the pounds well be flying off. NO SOFT DRINKS!!!!