FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Vista from the beginning

thewebkid
Has anyone here purchased a computer or laptop with Windows Vista, the very month or day it came out. I have had nothing but problems with mine, I bought it in February and it's been a hassle, but it does have it's pros. I love the themes as well as the security it offers. I know that apple makes those commercials that make fun of us Windows users, but come on. For a personal use computer Vista is wonderful. Whereas I would go with a Mac for graphics, but I don't have the money for that. So who has used windows Vista from the beginning? And tell us about this issues you have had.
mOrpheuS
thewebkid wrote:
Has anyone here purchased a computer or laptop with Windows Vista, the very month or day it came out. I have had nothing but problems with mine, I bought it in February and it's been a hassle, but it does have it's pros. I love the themes as well as the security it offers. I know that apple makes those commercials that make fun of us Windows users, but come on. For a personal use computer Vista is wonderful. Whereas I would go with a Mac for graphics, but I don't have the money for that. So who has used windows Vista from the beginning? And tell us about this issues you have had.

I've been using Vista since Beta 2.
And have not faced any problems with it whatsoever.

I use it everyday, both at home and at work (Vista has been standardized for workstations at my work place).
So, I've done almost all there is to be done on an operating system - from playing games to programming - never had an issue.

I'm not sure what kind of problems you've faced, especially since your computer came preloaded with Vista, which would mean that every piece of hardware would work with Vista out of the box. Shocked

I put your question back to you - tell us about the issues you have had.
AftershockVibe
Hmm... my problem is not that things didn't work on Vista, although some things needed to be done differently this isn't really much of a problem as someone with a CS degree.

However, a lot of the things I had to change my habits around were pointless (like the renaming of control panel items for no good reason) which is annoying unless there's some benefit to me.

My main problem with Vista is that it doesn't actually do anything better for the user: it's slower, it uses more resources. Why would I change my habits and more importantly *pay* for something that provides no benefit over what can be done better in XP?

The main thing Vista offers is better security and that is an excellent step. However, I'm competent enough to secure XP and already have the software I need to do that.
thewebkid
I agree with aftershock. Some of the biggest problems I have with Vista is tht ot slows everything down. My laptop has over a gig of memory and an awesome processor, yet when I running some applications it slows down tremendously, and I am not even on power save mode. Some also problems that I encountered was activation issues, which no one told me of. My laptop cannot run a system restore even from the beginning, and it wasn't my laptop it was vista, it just wouldn't budge. Then at one time the theme became an unvalidated copy, when I had purchased a valid computer, with a legal copy of vista. So I had to go through Microsoft and fix another problem, yet again. But, nevertheless I am still proud of what Vista ha been doing other than some of the problems I have had in the past.
Diablosblizz
I have never actually used Vista, so I can't say much. I think all your slow reasons are because of your processor and / or RAM. I have a friend who has two 2.6 GHZ processors and 3 GB of RAM and vista runs perfectly on his computer, or so he says. But, in my head I am saying: "I don't have the money to buy a top of the line computer." (His was over $1000) The hardware needed for Vista is unbelievable, it needs way to much.

I enjoy my XP on my 1.13 GHZ 512 MB of RAM computer, and heck, I can make my computer look and feel like Vista!

500 POSTS!!!!
kansloos
The only reason Vista is more secure, is because of the over chatty UAC system, which practicly only let's you run notepad without bugging you.
Ankhanu
I bought my wife a desktop with Vista installed in August... neither of us like it. It's a pleasant to look at OS, but that's about it. It's poorly laid out, the security is either too strong/interruptive or completely absent and it eats system resources like they're nothing... Straight booting (which takes forever) without opening any applications it sits at about 60% or so RAM use, that's sick. Add in some incompatibility issues with some of our software, and the OS is just a dud. We've been planning on wiping it and installing XP for a while now, just haven't gotten around to it.

I bought myself a Mac last January, and, for every day computing, as well as graphics work, I've been loving it. It did take a couple days to get out of Windows mode and grasp the OS, but since it's been great.
I don't game all that much, so the incompatibility with a lot of games hasn't been an issue... and since I've found that Black Isle released versions of Fallout and Fallout II for Mac, I've been happy enough anyway Smile
As far as saying that Mac's are expensive... well, this thing was about $1000 cheaper than a comparable PC laptop, and much less than I paid for my last Windows laptop. They've come WAY down in price (when I bought my Windows laptop, Macs were about $1000 more Razz )
adeydas
i tried vista a few months ago and as others felt that its terribly slow. i have seen it working on a 2GB ram desktop as well and sometimes it simply freezes up on some applications. also it doesn't have a proper DOS working environment and some of us CS guys still need that. many games don't run on it as well and some which are graphics intensive are a real pain in the ass to run.

so i would recommend XP anytime over vista. why pay for something which you are not comfortable with?!?
Fake
Vista is great if u are using programs that are compatible with it