FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Website designing software

thewebkid
Most of everyone I know uses Dreamweaver or Frontpage to do there web desiging. Unfortunetly, we don't all have the money to buy really expensive software to fulfill our needs as web designers. Others, think that if your a professional that these programs are a must. Well maybe if your a developer for Target or a big name corporation or something. I personally am not working for a big company nor am I a professional, but I do know of some great programs that are free and of good use to new web designers as well as professional freelancers on a tight budget. Visual Web Developer 2008, Ihave to say is a great program. I have been using it for about five months now and have designed three websites with it. One of which looks very professional. www.markverkler.org If you have any advice on some more free web developer programs why don't you go ahead and post it here so that us "cheap guys" lol Could check it out, and put it to some really good use.
fiendskull9
vim is really good and free, oh and notepad too Razz

With the constant switch to web 2.0, CMS', and interactive websites, standard html and xhtml websites are becoming outdated

sure dreamweaver could be used for template designing on the CMS, but do you really want to pay that much for so little code?
kiran_n444
umm i prefer to keep it simple and nice with NotePad + is great because it color codes your synthax making it easy to read munderstand and debug.
thewebkid
Yep I have heard of notepad+ but I was a little skeptical of it. Simply because of the name. And yes I agree that Dreamweaver is simply being used now to create design templates, or to create a site from a template, rather than build your own. I like Visual Web Developer because it is very close to Dreamweaver and notepad; you don't have many templates(none for notepad) and your able to view by design and code(just like Dreamweaver) and it's free. As sson as you type a letter it pulls up a list of syntaxes that it assumes your typing, then you can chose to finish typing it or chose the correct one from the list.
sabe
You need to look at NVU or KompoZer. They are both open source programs and are free... KompoZer is like NVU but is supposed to have some fixes and look more like Dreamweaver. I am a Dreamweaver user and am starting with NVU & Kompozer user. I think that Dreamweaver is easier to use but the other programs can do most of what you will need. The main problem with NVU & KompoZer is the lack of tutorials and plugins. You can get plugins to do almost anything in Dreamweaver. I can't seem to find any plugins for NVU. Kompozer will use NVU plugins, I think.
jiipee
I think... hmm.. maybe best and easyest software is Dreamweaver.
Microsoft Frontpage, NVU and notepad is too good softwares.

Cool
spykE
Best to start with is Frontpage, though some people have a lot of critic on it. But it's great for starters and I dont think it costs that much, a standalone version?
aningbo
FrontPage is the BEST. but yeah Dreamweaver too has advantages but for starters, frontpage is the best.

starters may also wanna try out CMS like Joomla. its really very powerful
InsanePL
WYSIWYG sucks, because You`ll never learn proper coding this way. Just buy any notepad with coloring text like 'Editplus 2' It`s cheap and usefull. Got a lot of options
jcnet
Learning HTML is the best........ Nothing can be done without the basics (that is HTML).... using a WYSIWYG editor is useless.....You wont be able to do some what you want......

So better use HTML editors such as
Dreamweaver
Microsoft Frontpage
Adobe Go Live

and other HTML editors......

I recommend that u use DREAMWEAVER........

thats the best

Enjoy

HAPPY HTMLing............

Cheers.!!!
welshsteve
If you can hand code, I would recommend Notepad++

Another good one for CSS editing is TopStyle Lite

If you're after WYSIWIG, Aptana Studio is one good option, another is NetObjects Fusion Essentials. Nvu comes recommended, but I don't get on with it at all.
cvkien
if you wanna free, then notepad is absolutely good for it. but i prefer dreamweaver. dreamweaver also can allow you to create your own templates. for me, that is not important, the most important is that it is easy to use. last time i use a lot of html, but since more computer language i learn, then those coding really annoying, so now i prefer using design view, and that, i can minimized the use to memorize those coding. it make my life easy lol.
welshsteve
being able to code is important though. It helps you use examples found on the internet for things you want on your site, you can make sure it's standards compliant code, which a lot of WYSIWIG editors don't produce
dude_xyx
I use Dreamweaver which is the best no doubt but too expensive. recently i found this one called NVU. It seems cool too though it doesn't have all features like Dreamweaver.
welshsteve
dude_xyx wrote:
I use Dreamweaver which is the best no doubt but too expensive. recently i found this one called NVU. It seems cool too though it doesn't have all features like Dreamweaver.

I do think Dreamweaver is by far the best web design software out there, but as you say it is very expensive. I was lucky to get a free copy with my CIW course paid for by work. NVu is supposed to be good but I never really got on with it.
cybernytrix
try blue fish:

$ aptitude show bleufish

Description: advanced Gtk+ HTML editor
Bluefish is a GTK+ HTML editor for the experienced web designer. Its features
include nice wizards for startup, tables and frames; a fully featured image
insert dialog; thumbnail creation and automatically linking of the thumbnail
with the original image; and configurable HTML syntax highlighting.

For validation to work you need weblint and xmllint. For preview to work, you
need a web browser that can view local files given to it on the command line.

Homepage: http://bluefish.openoffice.nl
Flips001
i started with dreamweaver!

Its a good programm, i would prefer it!
Phil
I would NEVER recommend anyone ever use Frontpage, not even to learn because you will not learn properly. It doesn't use standards and fills up your documents with useless Microsoft code. If you're going to start with a WYSIWYG Editor, at least try NVU or Komposer.
But if you really want to learn Web Design, use Notepad. You can learn the basics and then move to an HTML Editor like Notepad++ or HTML Kit that's makes it easier to use the basics. There probably over 3 1/2 billion free HTML editors out there for you to choose from.
As far as Dreamweaver goes, you can get earlier version on Ebay for a decent price. You just need to jump on it when one comes. I got a version of Macromedia Studio 2004 MX for $35 about 4 months ago.
I'm still checking it out, but to be honest, it's little more than a fancy-smancy HTML editor to me. I rarely use the Design view. There are a few whistles ands bells that are nice. Search and replace is nice and applying CSS styles is a breeze.
Before I go, I want to reiterate..........if your serious about learning web design, stay far away from Frontpage. Far, far away.
mattyj
I use UltraEdit, which is similar to Notepad, but has Syntax highlighting and multiple windows
iyepes
I use Textpad sometimes, it also puts different colors in code and other enhancements. You can test it but it isn't freeware.
dandickson
If you have a mac iweb 08 is quite good. I also like Dreamweaver but you said that was too expensive. I think you need to go with notepad for now then as there aren't many visual html programs. Too bad, they make the web a great looking place.
Craeft
Well, if you have the patience, you can always code in notepad. That's how I used to do it before I grabbed Dreamweaver. But I am lazy and got sick of all the coding. hehe...

And I don't know if you're aware of this program or not, but if you want an excellent FTP program for free, Filezilla is hot. It's like CuteFTP Pro, but free. Very nice proggie.

EDIT:

OPENSOURCE WEB EDITOR:
http://www.osalt.com/kompozer

I have never tried this one... I just did a search for you, so no promises. Wink
ammonkc
I just stick to TextMate. personally I think calling someone who uses Frontpage a web designer is a bit of a stretch. If you are just learning about web development, I would start out hand coding your site. That way you understand what is going on behind all the pretty graphics. the last thing you want is to let Frontpage vomit some mangled code on to your server.
andy26
Im using NVU and out of front page and dreamweaver it seems so much easier and very cross browser friendly, if your a beginer that likes to use layers to move your content rarther than use your own css code it is very usefull and acurate. also does anyone know a php web design software like nvu is for html.
frih
you can try SPLASH software. it is quite easy to create html pages. even if you dont know html, you can easily create good and effective pages in minutes. it also has option for java scripts. it contains some inbuilt java scripts,boxes,etc.....but as far as i know it is not free. but you can try the demo version.

regards
abhi!!!!!!
snowboardalliance
I'm going to support notepad++ again

I don't see the point of WYSIWYG because you have less control and many programs will not give you the best html/xhtml code compared to writing it yourself.

I use notepad++ but I've also used html-kit which has syntax highlighting, preview, and tons of plugins for common tasks (color picker, auto complete etc.)
Da Rossa
Have you heard of NVU? Very good think. I use everyday. Easy and firendly.
MRaftery
ammonkc wrote:
I just stick to TextMate. personally I think calling someone who uses Frontpage a web designer is a bit of a stretch. If you are just learning about web development, I would start out hand coding your site. That way you understand what is going on behind all the pretty graphics. the last thing you want is to let Frontpage vomit some mangled code on to your server.

I agree - I'm no code wizard but I know my way around a website thanks to messing around and using good resources on HTML and CSS. Using Frontpage et al always causes problems because you make a leap to doing more complex things than you're ready for which is all well and good until something goes wrong and you can't fix it. It's more satisfying when you code by hand as well.

Good luck
Craeft
MRaftery wrote:
ammonkc wrote:

I agree - I'm no code wizard but I know my way around a website thanks to messing around and using good resources on HTML and CSS. Using Frontpage et al always causes problems because you make a leap to doing more complex things than you're ready for which is all well and good until something goes wrong and you can't fix it. It's more satisfying when you code by hand as well.

Good luck

Yep. I started out strictly coding. When I got the hang of it, I started using Dreamweaver. One thing I used to do to try to understand HTML was I would VIEW SOURCE of another site, copy and paste it into notepad, and play with it locally to see what I could and couldn't make it do.

I am having one HELL of a time teaching myself PHP though. I hear it's easy, but I just can't grasp it.
gaby007
i used netscape but it's too lite . now i'am searching for something else. what do you recommand me ? Confused