FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ever heard of controlling air conditioners with cell phones?

sunjay
Hey,

Anyway ever heard of using mobile phones to control their air conditioners? I mean by using a JAVA program on their phone and controlling it using Infrared.

Obviously it wont work on all phones but still...

You might ask, whats the point??? Well, you could loose your air con remote control; or you might want to change the air temperature in your office without having to reach for the remote all the time or its just simply an add-on function to utilize the Infrared Port on your mobile.

anyone any ideas???
dickyzin
I don't see much use with controlling the air conditioner with your mobile infrared. If it was not infrared and uses the phone network to control the air conditioner, then it will be quite useful. You can turn on your air conditioner from anywhere before you get home so your home's temperature is set to your liking.
Arno v. Lumig
Pretty nice idea to play pranks with, but it's really nothing new. You can actually control any infrared device with a cellphone/PDA that supports infrared, so TV's and some stereo installations will also work Smile
pll
my friend uses an old cell phone to control the TV.
And I know that you can also use it to control the lights and temperature of your house (with some apps). But it seems to be complicated things to do.
bigdan
Oh yeah, there's a lot of things you can control via cell phones now. This doesn't surprise me one bit.
dickyzin
I'd like to see a car being controlled or driven by a cell phone. Good old James Bond has done it Wink
cvkien
oh... i tried to search such programs as well but never found one. plus hand phone infrared had limited length, probably not more than 5cm... unless using blue tooth. so i won't work anyway.
thetinyclam
This is very much possible... In fact, my high school psychology teacher's husband is a electrical engineer and he integrated all sorts of computer controlled appliances into his house. She tells me that she can put a slice of bread into the toaster and a pop up box would inform her when it's done. And she could easily control the AC by just pulling on a meter on some software her husband wrote. That's freaking sick if you ask me. But then again, not all of us are electrical engineers or software gurus... someday.
bulek
Of course it's useful, you can use your mobile phone as a universal remote control for all appliances in house.
psycosquirrel
Whoa, that would be awesome. I don't have a fancy enough cellphone to have infrared (let alone a air conditioner with a remote!). Technology is amazing. Shocked
ForceRun
There is a lot that you can do with it, but the data rate is very slow like 9.6 Kbps, I wish they would move everything to the faster wireless standards of 2.4 Ghz like the walk-about phones. They have wireless standard remotes and they are a lot better then infrared.
joshuacrispin
Yes, the AROS Smart AC is a window unit that is controlled by a phone app.

http://tinyurl.com/SmartWindowAC