FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Liveboot LAMP

PatTheGreat42
I've been puttering around with various webserver operations, but what I mostly want is a nice local PHP programming environment. However, the whole dual boot thing ain't gonna work for me, most 'cause I'm not allowed to do it under the computer policy I'm working under. So I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of a LAMP live boot CD I could download and burn for a quick and easy programming environment?

Thanks
djclue917
You may want to try out EasyPHP: http://www.easyphp.org/

Basically, you'll have a WAMP (Windows + Apache + MySQL + PHP) environment after you install it. Of course, it is not LAMP since you're running AMP in Windows. Anyway, I think that that is the best option for you instead of some "specialized" Live CD with Apache + MySQL + PHP that works out-of-the-box. I've used EasyPHP in the past before I started using Linux 99% of the time. I can tell that EasyPHP does live up to its name and is indeed easy to use and to setup. Actually, the setup part is just the installation. Everything would immediately work as soon as you "start" the services in the EasyPHP "control".

BTW, it also includes phpMyAdmin which makes life a hell lot easier. Wink
PatTheGreat42
Wow, dude, thanks! That thing looks pretty sweet.
csoftdev
if you want a livecd, then why don't you just use a linux livecd to boot up your system and then do your php tasks on it? if you can't install lamp on your system, then can you actually install wamp? Smile boot up to any linux livecd and you will have your webserver up and running with php, mysql. won't that be much easier?

hope that helps.
kansloos
csoftdev wrote:
if you want a livecd, then why don't you just use a linux livecd to boot up your system and then do your php tasks on it? if you can't install lamp on your system, then can you actually install wamp? :) boot up to any linux livecd and you will have your webserver up and running with php, mysql. won't that be much easier?

hope that helps.

I'd just pick the WAMP option, though I am a linux fanatic myself, but in this case this just works... you won't have the problem of losing data, like livecd's have in general.
BrianElliott0218
Ubuntu has what you are looking for right out of the box.
Have fun!
Here's the link:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
Just pick the distribution you want, and burn it to your CD. You're on!

Have fun...
~BE
mahirharoon
wamp is the best after xampp and easyphp is full french support and only for education purposes