FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iPod Earphones

Tony The Tiger
I am curious. I have not used the factory issued earbuds from Apple. They tend to hurt my ears as they get yanked around from other physical activities in which the cord tends to get caught on things. I have switched to a different brand that wraps around the back of my ear. As my cord gets yanked my ear does not get hurt. However, about every 10 weeks I have to replace it as it gets frayed where the cord meets the earphone just under the ear. I had to make a bulk purchase of a tenpack of them and I am already half way through the bundle. Is it common to have to replace earphones this frequently or are the kinds I don't like more durable.
doppleganger
well the earbud which accompanied my I-Pod, i have been using them for the last 30 odd weeks with no problems, maybe u had a problem with a specific one, try using an original apple earbud, i do not think that u should be facing any problems in the future
Arno v. Lumig
Well, there is a solution: Switch to quality earphones/earbuds instead of cheap stuff that breaks after a few hours of use. You could also try to put some tape around the paces where it is likely to break (at the volume control, where the cord enters the earbuds and at the connector) so it is a bit more stiff. What do you do with your earbuds that they break so fast? The cord is not made to be yanked, so you must be doing something wrong.
greatfire
the default ipod ones are total rubbish. You're best buying some decent pair similar to the one you like but are worth like 20-40 bucks. Not cost 20-40 bucks, but are worth 20-40 bucks
Tony The Tiger
greatfire wrote:
the default ipod ones are total rubbish. You're best buying some decent pair similar to the one you like but are worth like 20-40 bucks. Not cost 20-40 bucks, but are worth 20-40 bucks

Arno v. Lumig wrote:
Switch to quality earphones/earbuds instead of cheap stuff that breaks

What makes earphones worth $20 bucks. I have one pair of 180s brand earmuffs with headphones that have not broken. They cost $25. I don't think that is what you mean though.

Arno v. Lumig wrote:
also try to put some tape around the paces where it is likely to break

I don't know about the tape solution. It sounds like they would look goofy.

Arno v. Lumig wrote:
What do you do with your earbuds that they break so fast? The cord is not made to be yanked, so you must be doing something wrong.

I walk around go to the gym and stuff. The cord just gets caught.

doppleganger wrote:
try using an original apple earbud, i do not think that u should be facing any problems in the future

I don't like earbuds that hang because as I said in the original post. They hurt my ears when they get caught on things.
froginabox
Tony The Tiger wrote:
I am curious. I have not used the factory issued earbuds from Apple. They tend to hurt my ears as they get yanked around from other physical activities in which the cord tends to get caught on things. I have switched to a different brand that wraps around the back of my ear. As my cord gets yanked my ear does not get hurt. However, about every 10 weeks I have to replace it as it gets frayed where the cord meets the earphone just under the ear. I had to make a bulk purchase of a tenpack of them and I am already half way through the bundle. Is it common to have to replace earphones this frequently or are the kinds I don't like more durable.

The way I shore up the headphones we use at the radio station is to put heat shrink tubing on them where the cable goes into the headphones... put it over the cable including on the "strain relief" portion and use a heat gun (or hairdryer on high maybe) to shrink it. This helps take some of the strain off... you could also put some on the strain relief of the plug too. Hope that helps! Very Happy
emem
Apple's earphones are considered as not so quallity... I think philips has very quality ones!
Tony The Tiger
froginabox wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:

The way I shore up the headphones we use at the radio station is to put heat shrink tubing on them where the cable goes into the headphones... put it over the cable including on the "strain relief" portion and use a heat gun (or hairdryer on high maybe) to shrink it. This helps take some of the strain off... you could also put some on the strain relief of the plug too. Hope that helps! Very Happy

What exactly is shrink tubing? Where does one get it? Do you have a website that would show me exactly what you are talking about? How much does it cost?
LimpFish
haha dude I cannot understand how you can get caught so much that you break so many headphones! Ive never broken a pair of headphones in my life, and I go the gym, run with them, and use them everyday commuting to and from school. Smile
Tony The Tiger
LimpFish wrote:
Ive never broken a pair of headphones in my life, and I go the gym, run with them, and use them everyday commuting to and from school. Smile

What brand and model of headphones do you use? You may need to get an endorsement contract.
LimpFish
hehe well I didnt say I used the same headphones all of my life, just that I didnt break any. But I've had different ones for sure, yea.
froginabox
Tony The Tiger wrote:

What exactly is shrink tubing? Where does one get it? Do you have a website that would show me exactly what you are talking about? How much does it cost?

Heat shrink tubing is special tubing made out of certain kinds of plastic that shrink instead of simply melting into a puddle when heat is applied. It is relatively cheap stuff that you can usually get at your local electronics supply or hardware store, call around and ask about their stock. You want to get the smallest size so you don't have to shrink it too much.

Wikipedia can tell you a bit more about it here.
LimpFish
that heat shrinking idea seems really smart though. and it seems like one of those things that can be useful for pretty much anything Smile
froginabox
Totally!

And the radio station I work at is a college station... while most of the DJs respect the equipment, headphones get abused quite a bit, we used to go through easily a dozen pairs per semester. The heat shrink trick has increased the average life of a pair from about 3 to 4 weeks to more than 2 months.
Tony The Tiger
froginabox wrote:
the radio station I work at is a college station... while most of the DJs respect the equipment, headphones get abused quite a bit, we used to go through easily a dozen pairs per semester.

Are you talking about headphones getting legs or breaking at the connection between the earpiece and the chord.
Tony The Tiger
LimpFish wrote:
that heat shrinking idea seems really smart though. and it seems like one of those things that can be useful for pretty much anything Smile

I guess I will price the tubing and consider what the savings are.
froginabox
Tony The Tiger wrote:

Are you talking about headphones getting legs or breaking at the connection between the earpiece and the chord.

The connections breaking. After being used off and on by at least 80 people a week, they get roughed up pretty darn quick. The heatshrink is generally pretty cheap, it's worth it to try on a pair of headphones and see if that makes them last longer.
LimpFish
i got a sweet pair of sony headphones with 40mm elements for christmas, and maaaan do I hate using my iPod headphones now!? I considered them pretty ok before, but now, omg, I realize how junk they are! Smile
Tony The Tiger
LimpFish wrote:
i got a sweet pair of sony headphones with 40mm elements for christmas, and maaaan do I hate using my iPod headphones now!? I considered them pretty ok before, but now, omg, I realize how junk they are! Smile

Is it sound quality or other things that make the difference to you?
Diablosblizz
In my opinion, I'll give Apple a 6/10 for their ear buds. I have had mine for two months, and already I cannot blast them fully with my iPod. They will start to crackle. I will give them 6 because they have been much better than my old ones for my other MP3 player.

I know this is TTT's post, but can anybody recommend good ear buds via a private message? Thanks.
LimpFish
the sound quality is soooo much better... and the bass (that is virtually non existent in the iPod earbuds) is really deep in these sony head phones. Now listening to my headphones feels kinda the same as listening to music on my stereo through the speakers!

And, they are sooo much more comfortable than those stupid earbuds too! They're kinda big, but easily worth it! Feels like clouds on your ears Smile
[FuN]goku
Well, i often have to replace headphones as well. But , my mate who's got an ipod has had his headphones for over a year, and they're still working fine. They're just the ones that come with the ipod. He says they're really good. Me, errr i prefer neck sets unless i want to listen to music on my laptop while i'm in bed. in that case i use buds. As they don't bother me when i put my head on the pillow. But when i have the money, i get those big beefy headphones that cancel out sound. Those are really worth the money and if you buy the right brand they will last you. I had a pair from the source, and they lasted me like a year and a half.. or something like that. Best part about them is the sound quality. I prefer bass and stuff cuz i'm into techno, so those headphones are really good for that sort of thing Razz
Tony The Tiger
[FuN]goku wrote:
Well, i often have to replace headphones as well. But , my mate who's got an ipod has had his headphones for over a year, and they're still working fine. They're just the ones that come with the ipod. He says they're really good. Me, errr i prefer neck sets unless i want to listen to music on my laptop while i'm in bed. in that case i use buds. As they don't bother me when i put my head on the pillow. But when i have the money, i get those big beefy headphones that cancel out sound. Those are really worth the money and if you buy the right brand they will last you. I had a pair from the source, and they lasted me like a year and a half.. or something like that. Best part about them is the sound quality. I prefer bass and stuff cuz i'm into techno, so those headphones are really good for that sort of thing Razz

You have good ears. I would not even know the difference between getting good bass and not.
LimpFish
if headphones have good bass, you can feel the bass "pounding", almost like a shockwave of some sort. With bad bass, you can barely hear it. I think you can hear the difference Smile
Arno v. Lumig
Tony The Tiger wrote:
[FuN]goku wrote:

You have good ears. I would not even know the difference between getting good bass and not.

Get good earbuds and you will notice the difference... A great site for choosing headphones is www.headphonereviews.org
LimpFish
my sonys are called XDS-300 I think, I highly recommend them Smile And they werent very expensive, either! good combination Smile plus they look real good Very Happy
05ict306
Get some Sennheiser 650 headphones. The sound quality is amazing!
smspno
I have had my iPod nano for about a year (the second generation) and I still use the factory issued earphones. I have never needed to buy the better ones because I really don't hear the difference between them and any better earphones - I'm slightly deaf Very Happy or simply don't have a good musical hearing.
I will use them until they go dead Razz.