FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

PROLOG programming

kk_loke86
Hello, guys.... I am now starting to learn a new type of programming language called PROLOG.... It is a type of language for artificial intelligience approach to solve some complex problem.... Can anyone tell me where can I find some good references and web material to aid in my study? Thanks a lot!
AftershockVibe
I can't give you any better links than you can find for yourself on your search engine of choice.
Your description is a bit misleading though - Prolog is not AI.

Prolog works by searching for all possible solutions which satisfy your predicates (ie your "code"). So while it isn't intelligent, it can reason it's way to possible solutions to a problem you specify.

So, unlike procedural programming languages where you give the machine instructions directly, with Prolog (logic programming) you specify a set of equations and tell the interpreter to solve them.
kk_loke86
Thanks for your reply. I am now starting to get the concept of prolog. Now, doing some exercise using the SWI-PROLOG interpreter. It is an amazing programming languange... Very diffrent with the procedural type programming language, PROLOG shows another way of solving problems through declarative ways.

So, far. I know there is object-oriented programming style, and now PROLOG teachs me what is so called goal-oriented programming.. It is a dynamic programming language. Isn`t it that the world of computer language is so wide and wonderful? I wonder if anyone in the world can master all those languages... haha.
AftershockVibe
If you like Prolog then you'll probably love having a go at a functional programming language as well, like Haskell. I'd recommend it.

I'd heard people describe it as "elegant" and was always cynical because I didn't see how you could describe a programming language as such. But it really is...