FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Estate Agents

karrupin
Anyone work as estate agents here?
I'm currently working part-time as an EA, and there is something that I don't really get it.
Okay, let's say I rented out this apartment to this person name A,
then suddenly A stopped paying rental, am I still responsible to this matter? because the owner kept blaming me for taking the commission but irresponsible and did not do my part.
So, am I still need to follow up on this matter or just leave it to the owner?

*I asked my seniors about this matter, and they say I have nothing to do with this anymore, because my job is only introduce a tenant to the owner.
Davidgr1200
I would agree with your seniors. If you are working as an estate agent then the client who is hiring and the client who is renting will both have signed some sort of agreement with you. Somewhere in the agreement will be a clause saying something along the lines of "The estate agent is not responsible for any nonpayment of rent made". You may even decide to take one month's money from the renter and pay to the person renting out just to make sure that the first payment is made. It's always best to make things as clear as you can - and document it!
karrupin
Davidgr1200 wrote:
I would agree with your seniors. If you are working as an estate agent then the client who is hiring and the client who is renting will both have signed some sort of agreement with you. Somewhere in the agreement will be a clause saying something along the lines of "The estate agent is not responsible for any nonpayment of rent made". You may even decide to take one month's money from the renter and pay to the person renting out just to make sure that the first payment is made. It's always best to make things as clear as you can - and document it!

I've read the tenancy agreement, it doesn't have these lines. But if I'm not mistaken, there is a clause saying that, in the future the landlord and tenant shall deal directly to each other, I think something like that. Plus before I closed the deal, I have informed the owner that as soon as both of them signed the agreement, I will not hold any responsibility anymore. It's driving me nuts when she call me every night and day chasing the payments, and also threaten me to issue a letter from her lawyer.
cloudship
your senior is right. you are only an agency, not a center for arrangement of all people living in every corner of the city. However, to be a good agent and to win reputations for you agency is also important, so if next time before you introduce someone to an estate, it might be nice to check his credit and make some estimation on his payability. Or a certain amount of deposit would be even safer.
karrupin
thank you so much for the advice, hehe now I 'scan' those prospect properly first before dealing with them, I don't want repeat my mistake. To be frank, for me this job is tiring Sad
I wondering why my other friends receive more business, unlike me, I mostly received more complaints than business. .
cloudship
For new beings in every job, it just takes time to get used to the job content and accumulate experience to find the best fit to work for it. But never lose heart by any complaint or frustration and keep moving on, you will definitely work better.
karrupin
cloudship wrote:
For new beings in every job, it just takes time to get used to the job content and accumulate experience to find the best fit to work for it. But never lose heart by any complaint or frustration and keep moving on, you will definitely work better.

haha, that's what boss tell me everyday.
Because sometimes I also helping in the property management department, so basically I'll need to handle some of the complaints ~.~, I get depressed sometimes, but my boss will tell me that never ever let those complaints bother me, just think I'm a mental Doctor^^
Well, this is one of the way for me to grow up, I guess Razz