FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HELP!!

Talk2Tom11
I was playing around with the permissions for different folders on my windows xp. I was going to create new accounts on my machine and wanted to restrict some folders. I went into safe mode and set my external hard drive to be blocked. However, it is now blocked by all users. I did a restore and can not get into it. However, I can see all the files but it will not let me open them. How do I reset the permissions for a drive on my machine? I went back into safe mode and set everything to full access but it didn't help. If anyone can help please post!
myrevolt
It is not a good idea to be playing with file permissions of files that you may want to access (and/or do not have backed up) at a later time for various Windows-related reasons (such as resetting the administrator password leading to encrypted files rendered useless). You may be able to read files from a Linux Live-CD such as Knoppix, look for a newish version that has NTFS write support. And in the future either use third-party tools or an OS that has real support for file permissions (such as Linux or BSD).