FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Can you permantly buy a domain?

amysanders
hi i was wondering can you permanatly buy a domain or can you only rent them for a max of 2yrs e.t.c can anyone recomend any web links please?
Animal
When you "buy" a domain name, it is legally yours for the registration period (usually 12 months). You then have exclusive rights to renew the domain name during this minimum registration period for a further year or more. In order to keep a domain registered, you need to continue paying the yearly renewal fees - it is not possible to pay one fee and keep a domain forever.
Peterssidan
This is probably a ood thing because otherwise many domains should be taken.
ftv_flung
Is there some sort of law/rules about how long a domain can be used for by, I would guess ICANN... I suppose it's for fair use with other users..?

I just Googled for something like that, and the most I could find was this, 10 years
http://www.webmasterworld.com/google/3161770.htm
Peterssidan
I'm pretty sure that you can keep your domain as long as you pay for it.
Animal
Peterssidan wrote:
I'm pretty sure that you can keep your domain as long as you pay for it.

Yes, this is correct. When you first register the domain, you gain the legal right to renew it as often as you want as long as you don't let the registration lapse. Basically this means you can keep it forever as long as you pay for it forever.

ftv_flung wrote:
I just Googled for something like that, and the most I could find was this, 10 years

Yes, this refers to the maximum amount of time you can register a domain for in one payment - you can pay for up to ten years, but you can then still renew it when the ten year period is expiring.
dude_xyx
You can register a domains for 10 years maximum and renew it again after that 10 years of period. This might be different for ccTLDs since they might have local rules applyed.
adeydas
You can buy a domain for a maximum period of 10 years.
web_harman
well as we know that it is not possible to buy a domain permanently.. it wont come in the coming future awell i guess and there is no need for it as well because you are given enough time to get it renewed...ssooo enjoy
mjohnson
of cause you can,there are a lot of Dn sever for you.
ddoonie
should reword though, because i believe you are technically only leasing the domain, not buying it...