FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how do you get linux

Mac
how do you get linux do you buy it do you download it someone tell me how and can you put it on a mac or windows
orno
1) u dont need to put it on a mac
2) u can download it for free or buy it

do u even know what it is?
VicTor
Mac wrote:
how do you get linux do you buy it do you download it someone tell me how and can you put it on a mac or windows

Linux is free !

U can download it from the internet, and then burn it to a CD.

I think the best linux for new user, is Mepis. see here: http://www.mepis.org/.

why it's so good ?- because, the cd u burn, is a LINUX LIVE-CD. it's mean that u can load it, as a stand alone O/S, without copy it to your hard drive.
if u like it, you can install it to your hard drive by "clicking".
after u install it, at booting, you will see a boot menu to choose which O/S do u like to boot with (Mepis or Windows).
Simulator
http://www.linuxiso.org/

This place is good, but I think they are updating it because most of the downloads fail but still
Helios
Linux ISO isn't updated..

If you want to download a specific distro you'll have to search for it's official site.. try with.. google? lol

for example Debian: www.debian.com
Donutey
Mac wrote:

www.ubuntu.com is a good start... good for beginners... here you can choose PPC (PowerPC is what macs use (nowatleast)) (or x86/64 bit version for your IBM compatible PC... (lol noone ever says IBM compatible any more) Its free by the way.

Linus can do most everything windows does (ubuntu comes with free offic software) with the exception of gaming... however there are a couple of programs that allow this (some cost money)
n0obie4life
www.mepis.org is good Smile. Alomst like a mac Razz
waiteck
Guys.. May i know the differences of Linux and Windows? Like teh advantages and disadvantages?
Neus
linux has many different version, or "flavors", you can use...

the largest distrobutions are probably those listed on the mainpage of www.linuxiso.org.

mandrake is quite a good beginers version of linux, personally my favorite is gentoo, but its more of advanced.

quick comparision?

windows:
easy mode Wink
expensive
easy installs, supported software/hardware
idiot proof ... wait.. no.. theres still idiots out there...
crashes alot
unstable
sucks
bill gates owns it (seen as bad) Wink

linux:
free, yay
more complicated (very complicated depending on version you get... theres some versions out there made to be easy and let you learn how linux works)
linux installs... well.. they arnt as easy as a window install...
hard to find software support and such, gotta use emulations of a windows system sometimes for certain apps
not all hardware supported (modems are hardest to get support really.. i dont care though cause i dont dial up)
very stable system
theres many programs out there that are almost equivalent to some program you use alot in windows, but for free.. like all of microsoft office... the equivalent is OpenOffice stuff... i belive theres a nice thread somehwere around here that lists all the equivalents
blackant
ya, I think ubuntu is a good start for linux newbies like me. Razz
Plus, you can order the disc and delivery to you for free!

But it could take a month or so. Wink
Anyway, fedora is just as good too.

I am no linux now, and no more windows stuff.
Feel much safer and faster, though I need to relearn quite a lot of commands and search drivers for my printers.
Omego2K@
meh, most people think it's cool getting linux, but when they get it, they realise that they have no use for it.

Basically if all you do is play games and surf the web, dont get a *nix OS
Neus
Omego2K@ wrote:
meh, most people think it's cool getting linux, but when they get it, they realise that they have no use for it.

Basically if all you do is play games and surf the web, dont get a *nix OS

all i mainly do is play games and surf web.. but i love playing around with linux.. because i like finding new challenges with various operating systems and software, etc... fixing tech stuff is fun puzzles for me Smile very time consuming puzzles at times Wink
waiteck
btw.. guys.. is softwares and games in windows compatible in linux?
Omego2K@
waiteck wrote:
btw.. guys.. is softwares and games in windows compatible in linux?

short answer: no

long answer: some

Some software/games are cross platform. For example Doom 3 is also for *nix

Additionally, you can get a windows emulator, such as, WINE. But don't expect great compatibility.
Neus
http://www.transgaming.com/

transgaming is a advanced emulator that basically modifies itself to get games to work the best they can on linux.. most major games are pretty well supported with this... you gotta pay a bit though ...
limcopy
hi ! this is very nice linux website and here is the ISO image disc url http://iso.linuxquestions.org/ ! you can download diff. disto linux right here ! If you interest to simulate windows game , you may try to using wine , here is the url www.winehq.com ! Very Happy
techcheetah
I got Ubuntu Linux by post.

They ship any number of CDs... 10, 50 , 100 to anywhere in the world...

That too for free...
arcdigital
linux is very versitile you can get mac live cd's and windows live cd's. you can install them on power pc and intel x86. I would recomend ubuntu linux or kubuntu linux (the same except ubuntu has gnome desktop environment and kubuntu has kde desktop environment)
cronus
Probably one of the best distros for new users is SuSE. Its installation program YAST2 is very user-friendly. All the latest versions are brilliant for hardware detection. It was the only distro that provided drivers on-disk for my winmodem. Although SuSE is great for beginners, it has its limitations. I use Fedora at the moment and I find it one of the best. But mandrake, debian and gentoo are all good alternatives. Since I now use ADSL, 56k modem drivers are no longer a problem.
Helios
Actually the best systems for newbs are Knoppix(live cd) and Mandriva(HDD).

Mandriva(mandrake) has a damn good package manager.
But the interface is kinda sucky when comparing to Fedora Core.

i think that you have to try the popular distros to decide.. the other ones are somewhat based on the popular ones.

Neus wrote:
linux:
free, yay
more complicated (very complicated depending on version you get... theres some versions out there made to be easy and let you learn how linux works)
linux installs... well.. they arnt as easy as a window install...
hard to find software support and such, gotta use emulations of a windows system sometimes for certain apps
not all hardware supported (modems are hardest to get support really.. i dont care though cause i dont dial up)
very stable system
theres many programs out there that are almost equivalent to some program you use alot in windows, but for free.. like all of microsoft office... the equivalent is OpenOffice stuff... i belive theres a nice thread somehwere around here that lists all the equivalents

I wil disagree on the stuff that i've marked in red.
First, to let a user learn how to use linux you won't make an easy to install/use system.
After 1 install of gentoo or debian you'll know enough.
And they are one of the hardest to install and config distros(if not the hardest).

Linux installs are somewhat easier than windows installs.

System support?
you have whole communities that were made just for linux support.
gotta use emulations of a windows system sometimes for certain apps?
If you move to linux why do you need windows apps? stay with windows then =\

Also, you make linux stable.
Linux isn't stable.. well compared to windows..
Windows is more stable.

But if you configure a Linux distro correctly it will be very stable.
Some distros come preconfigured just for stableness(?) like Debian or Red-hat that are used as servers most of the time.

Well, Linux is good for experience and stuff.. but if you're into games and easy interface and you don't like brain breaking issues then stay with windows.
Neus
well.. im going off my experiences...

and i started off useing mandrake, and then expanded trying different distros.. and i use knoppix as my emergency disk incase i really screw up Wink

as to being easy and let you learn how linux works.. just any of the easier install distros do that... you somewhat learn about the whole drive scheme, some about the kernel, the options of graphic user interfaces (gnome, kde, etc) and general linux information.

personally i wouldnt really recomend gentoo as a starter... well.. unless you do a package 3 install.. but even then they might not know enough unless they spent alot of time reading up... easier to do an install of mandrake, get the hang of it, then switch to gentoo...

personally i find that linux installs are GENERALLY harder and require a bit more computer knolledge... disk partioning is left to the user... if you read up and know what your doing, your fine. i did a vista install, and it was seriously less then 10 clicks to install.. most of the being just clicking next... i know its just a simple beta install.. but microsoft is probably working harder and harder to make these things idiot proof... and any windows install ive done has been pretty easy.. listen to the music of xp install, click next on the very graphical install, watch the microsoft ads saying how this newest version of windows (version of windows) is so much better and increased security, etc...

also some distros are easy to install, but as you said, gentoo (which i have done) can take a long time (insanely long i hear if you have a lower end processor.. yay kernel compiles), and can take alot of configuration and can be dificult.

the median for installs just requires you to be tech smart and generally know what your computer hardware is.. microsoft is generally somewhat idiot proof... as long as they can figure out what the power on button does and that the mouse is indeed, not a footpad..

as for system support.. yes theres communities out there for it, i love them and run to one every time i have spent like an entire day trying to do something and banging my head against the wall angry that it wouldnt work...

the problem with them? idiots like phones.. they like yelling at people... they wouldnt want to go to a forum and spend the day pressing refreash waiting for respones Wink

as for stable.. i dont think windows is more stable.. the ammount of times ive had programs lock up or lead to an entire computer freezing... the evil blue screen of death, etc... well.. with linux if sometime freezes, no big deal, ive only seen a program freeze a few times, very rare... and if it does, it doesnt crash your whole system...

and for software support.. what im saying more of is.. there are a few programs you might already own that you wont be able to find a replacement of in linux.. or if you do it might take awhile of searching... and then trying to figure out how the hell to install it (some linux software doesnt have the best install guides.. reason i like gentoo.. yay emerge Wink) also.. if you walk into some computer store... are they going to have the software you need for linux? odds are... no...
Helios
If you wish to experience linux as and you're a newb of course you'll start with Mandriva but if you want to learn more about linux you'll have to pass the setup process of gentoo or debian.. or both.
Because you won't learn how to compile a kernel while installing gentoo..

Anyway, we should both agree that linux isn't good a fun desktop usage(gaming and entertainment =\).

imo Linux is good for servers and for people that actually work on their computers..
I'm learning Electronics and hope to become an engineer and linux can offer me some nice pieces of software to help me.
Also kDevelop is a great software for a coder.. I did all of my work in python using kdevelop.

Well, My suggestion for people is to stay with windows.
As long as the windows' usage is higher that linux' usage we're, the linux users, are safe.

btw, Sorry for my English.
corey
This is one of those topics that can go the way of "flame war" and I'm glad it hasn't. There are so many people who are just learning about Linux and want to know what it is.

The first post was mostly asking about how to get Linux. I think that there have been many good suggestions here as to where and how. I'll add my 2 cents as well.

I totally agree with the suggestion that one visit http://iso.linuxquestions.org. I have been an active community member there for almost 2 years (2 months to go) and I can't say anything bad about the linuxquestion site or its goals. Another great spot to find Linux and info on it is http://www.distrowatch.com. I go there several times a week, as its kind of like a candy store for a download junkie like myself. I don't like getting crap, so having a site that provides a list of what's new and a write-up on it, is good. The weekly newsletter (which you can read right from the site) has some nice articles (and they're short too Smile) about new releases or distributions. Its kind of like a one stop shopping site (except that most Linux distros are free).

As far as recommendations go, I like to recommend Mepis or PCLinuxOS (based on Mandriva, but tweaked and optimized) or Knoppix, as these are "Live CD" distros and you can try out Linux from them without installing to your hard drive. You just pop it in, wait (usually for 2-3 min), play, and shut off your computer. When you reboot without the cd, you're back to normal. But, if you like what you see, and would like to install it to your hard drive, these distros will let you do that (or you can go and fetch something else).

One thing that is never mentioned about Live CD's (or DVD's) is that what you are using from the cd rom drive is a lot slower than when its on your hard drive, as cd's are really slow compared to a hard drive. If you like what you see, but you think its too slow, remember that its going to ten times faster once its installed.

That's a lot for 2 cents. Ah well, you got a sale! Smile
win66
Download from Internet