FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Cure for acidity...

divya
For almost ten months now, I'm suffering from frequent attacks of acidity in my tummy.

I realized it was because of too much of spicy food, and not enough water.

But now for a couple of months I'm sticking with bland vegetarian food, plenty of water, bananas, cold milk...

I've also regulated my sleeping habits, and I eat at the right times.

But I still get the tummy-burns...

Can you suggest something please?

I detest going to the doctor, unless it's inevitable - I like healing my body my own way, naturally...

Do you have any uggestions, anything that'll help?
tony
have you used antacid medicine?

i believe there is a lot available over-the-counter. do you have "tums" where you are? i hear it is quite effective in solving this problem...
thewebkid
That happens to me as well. At first I thought it was just coke and coffee, but it's a lot more than that. And even when I cut off from that stuff, I still get a lot of acid and gas(my worst enemy). I would like a solution.
darvit
Yeah, OTC antacids work best. If you have been taking these to no avail, then perhaps it's really time to go to the doctor, because it may be something worse than simple hyper-acidity... it could be gastritis or peptic ulcer which may be caused by H. pylori bacteria.

/EDIT: Also cut down on stress. Your stomach gets more acidic when you are stressed out. Wink
/EDIT#2: And oh, cold milk on an empty stomach would encourage more acid, they say.
wumingsden
If the problem persists, even after a change in diet, then Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux Disease (GORD)/reflux disease is to blame.

I myself was diagnosed with reflux disease about 6 yrs ago when i was 11years old.

Symptoms of it are:
    * a burning sensation in the stomach, chest and/or throat;
    * heartburn;
    * feeling or being sick;
    * bloating;
    * burping;

Although uncommon it can also cause:
    * A persistent cough, particularly at night. This is due to the refluxed acid irritating the windpipe. Hoarseness or asthma symptoms can sometimes be due to acid reflux.
    * Severe chest pain develops in some cases (and may be mistaken for a heart attack). [quote]

Basically the end of the oesophagus and the beginning of the stomach is a band of muscle, which acts as a valve. Sometimes the valve isn't as strong as it should be, allowing acid to come up the oesophagus. The problem is usually down to the diet, stress, or possibly pregnancy (in women), as well as other factors. A change in diet usually helps - less acidic/spicy foods, more (especially dark) green vegetables, less caffeine, more water.

Personally I take omeprazole (a PPI) and gaviscon. I find that nothing helps however, which means I have to be really strict with my diet (I only eat plain foods such as rice, pasta, toast, noodles, potato, vegetables, (non-acidic) fruit and drink lots of water). Its under more control now because of it, I used to have to sleep in the corner of my bedroom, I had to sleep completely upright.

There are over the counter products to try and get rid of it. You should look at why you get it in the first place though before relying on medication. If you smoke, stop. Eat more healthily, and not before you go to sleep. Become more active. Lose weight if needed. As a last resort surgery may be recommended.
doppleganger
well acidity, there are a lot of variations and reasons for them and everyone has a different level of acidity.

for example me, antacid will do not good to me, i mean it doesnt make a difference to me, so i wld suggest u go to a doctor

for me i require a medicine which has domperidone n rabeprazole or panteprazole