FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

If I need more than 250 mb...

HalfBloodPrince
I am the ruler of a forum, http://acmb.frih.net . It is quickly expanding and has over 400 posts in like, a week, and its already at 16 mb*. At this rate, in a few months I think it'll cross 250 mb, so then...what happens? Do you guys increase it, or is my site obsolete, or what???

Thanks for the help in advance. Rolling Eyes

*Don't say "are you sure that's not just your bandwidth???" or I'll shoot you in the teeth. Razz
wumingsden
HalfBloodPrince wrote:
I am the ruler of a forum, http://acmb.frih.net . It is quickly expanding and has over 400 posts in like, a week, and its already at 16 mb*. At this rate, in a few months I think it'll cross 250 mb, so then...what happens? Do you guys increase it, or is my site obsolete, or what???

Thanks for the help in advance. Rolling Eyes

*Don't say "are you sure that's not just your bandwidth???" or I'll shoot you in the teeth. Razz

I doubt you have to worry, you have -plenty- of disk space left. Your only going to have problems if you allow visitors of your site to upload things, and in the majority of cases this isn't allowed. So basically just watch what you upload yourself.
mOrpheuS
HalfBloodPrince wrote:

Are you sure it's not just your bandwidth???

Razz

16MB includes the script files and the forum post data.
Among the two, the post data is the only part that will grow with forum activity.
It might take a "while" before you manage to fill up your quota with post data. Wink
HalfBloodPrince
How exactly does the postdata get filled? With what? I set the max avatar size to 20kb, so if there are 10,000 avatars uploaded at maximum size, which I doubt will happen, I would be at 200 mb. So what is with the postdata? What is in it to take up my valuable FrihSpace? (yes, I just made that word up. Hope it spreads lol)
rvec
all the files in your hosting account will stay the same (except if you allow users to upload avatars and atachements ). Only the database will grow, and since this is just plain text it will not take a lot of space and you need lots of posts to get 10mb of text.
HalfBloodPrince
Oh, so to give me an estimate, how much do the Frihost forums take up? Not just the db, I mean everything.
rvec
Don't know exactly but i doubt it's above 50mb
HalfBloodPrince
Woah, less than 50? I doubt I'll have 677169 articles any time soon, so I guess I'm the green zone. Razz Thanks for the help.
b4r4t
I'll give You an example.
I had one forum (on PunBB script) and when I had something like 5000 posts ... it was only 3 or 4MB in my MySQL database.
As You can see - plain text isn't so big.
250MB is enough for such forum.
asim
b4r4t wrote:
I'll give You an example.
I had one forum (on PunBB script) and when I had something like 5000 posts ... it was only 3 or 4MB in my MySQL database.
As You can see - plain text isn't so big.
250MB is enough for such forum.

Hi Buddy,

I agree with you..... would be enough for form... it doesnt take much space.... all matter is what you apload and size of avtar.
iamarun
yes it all depends on what you upload and also check on the permission you allow for your members
ProtoMan
Just limit the number of uploadings and you shall be fine with your hosting account (No need to get more space). However, it would be nice (at least for me) to know about the answer of this question "Do you guys increase it, or is my site obsolete, or what???" because one of us may exceed the space/bandwidth limit sometimes Smile
rvec
if you exceed the space you will get an error when trying to upload the file that would exceed the space.
If you exceed the bandwidth your site will probably go off line and visitors will get an error.

There is no way to get extra bandwidth or space.
Ecthelion
It is possible to get far above the 250Mb that are allowed...

I once made it over because I started a backup, and when the backup was finished, I had more than the 250Mb allowed.

I quickly downloaded the backup and removed it, bringing me back under 25OMb. But if I wouldn't have done that, what would happen then?

You say that when you go over your bandwidth, you get an error, and that you can't upload more than the 250Mb. This way (by taking a backup) I DO get over 250Mb. What happens to my site then
Also an error? Impossible to post on my forum? ...?
(forgot to check it when it happend - just quiclky donwloaded & removed...)
Peterssidan
I don't think that the backups are counted. I have never noticed that the bar showed more because I had a backup that I forgot to delete.
rvec
they are counted. And you'd have to update to see the stats on direct-admin change.
Peterssidan
rvec wrote:
they are counted. And you'd have to update to see the stats on direct-admin change.

ok. So what happens if the backup makes so that more than the 250MB have to be used? Isn't it possible to backup then or is it ok as long as we delete the backup fast?
FunDa
Only images and videos take lots of space.

Posts with just text are not too problematic.

Make sure all images and videos are hosted outside like in imageshack or youtube.

I think phpBB automatically connects to Imageshack (correct me if I am wrong)
rvec
*corrects you*

There is no difference for phpBB if you host pictures on frihost or imageshack. It just needs a link and it'll display the pic.
FunDa
Yes, I think, phpBB has a mod that allows users of the board to upload images to a free image server like imageshack.

Instead of uploading to a directory where phpBB is installed, it connects to a free account in Imageshack and allows the user to upload there and add a img tag with the source as imageshack.. No need for creating a separate imagechack account, uploading and providing the link.
rvec
that part is right. There is such a mod, but uploading it yourself (= user not webmaster) is just one click more.