FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The Ides of March

medievalman26
Beware the ides of march. The famous day that Caesar was killed. Any thoughts on it?
nivinjoy
No Idea about Ides of march...Can you please explain something about that...???please....
UtanCecilie
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Ides may refer to:

Ides, a day in the Roman calendar, that marked the approximate middle of the month. Specifically, this may refer to the Ides of March, the date of Julius Caesar's assassination

I know there are many different opinions on whether it is Ides or Ide, but mainly it is known as the day that Julius Caesar was murdered by a group in the Roman senate that allegedly was called Liberatores. Mainly it is claimed that it was because of the feeling of unrest or uneasiness that came by Caesar's doing as "dictator" which he had accepted happily. As you all probably know the Romans lived by republic ideas, and when the senate noticed that Caesar was taking more space and so on and so forth they felt threatened by it. And decided to do something about it.

Julius Ceasar was supposed to go away on March 18th for some war campaign and so the Liberatores felt they had to act quickly. On March 15, the ide of march, Caesar was murdered. So going from just marking the 15th of each month, the ides became known for more than just that.

edit by rvec: Please use the quote tags when quoting
liljp617
Thoughts about what? The story line was about as true as a Hollywood movie trying to recreate some historical period of time.
medievalman26
liljp617 wrote:
Thoughts about what? The story line was about as true as a Hollywood movie trying to recreate some historical period of time.

Opinions on both(real and popular Hollywood movie) if you wouldn't mind. I prefer the real story, but the Hollywood story is fine too.
liljp617
medievalman26 wrote:
liljp617 wrote:

Opinions on both(real and popular Hollywood movie) if you wouldn't mind. I prefer the real story, but the Hollywood story is fine too.

I've missed the point of this thread. What do you want to know?? Caesar was assassinated. It didn't happen the exact way Shakespeare wrote it; that's called fiction.
thinkfacility
I always found that phrase interesting. Back in grade school, my friends and I always planted a finger on each other's backs once in a while and whispered "beware the ides of march" on that day just as a reminder to always watch your back.
medievalman26
The pint is simple just discuss the Ides of March. Anything about it really.
MaxStirner
thinkfacility wrote:
I always found that phrase interesting. Back in grade school, my friends and I always planted a finger on each other's backs once in a while and whispered "beware the ides of march" on that day just as a reminder to always watch your back.

Now that was either a classy school or it's been a few years since you attended. In my son's school (a) they wouldn't know the phrase, (b) or even if they did, they would opt for more descriptive expressions and (c) it wouldn't be a finger that is poked in the back. Smile
But back on-topic: I have to keep this post short since I need to start on my taxes ... The Rides of March so to speak.
Poetsunited
haha my dad is born on the ides of march... and i doubt any of us must fear getting killer :p unless some among us are succesfull politicans who want to conquer the roman empire trough dictatorship? :p
WhistleTurning
Not been made clear so far but the word "ide" just means middle, hence the 15th. The ide's of March are also special to me

Twisted Evil
Confused Laughing
Embarassed
Wink

ITS my BIRTHDAY
Coclus
i think it is funny that after the senators killed Caesar to keep up their oligarchy, Augustus, afer beating Kleopatra and Antony, became a totalitarian dictator as well