FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Test your knowledge of online scams

airh3ad
I read this article in the news paper that Mc cafe SiteAdvisor service has created a 10-question test to see whether you can spot "phishing" attempts to steal passwords and other personal information by mimicking popular Web sites such as eBay Inc.'s PayPal and News Corp.'s MySpace etc...
now what is a tool or freeware that can help warn of sites known or suspected to be phishing scams.?i hope evry one can read this . .
badai
just use IE7. good enough to detect phishing.
evilryu530
IE is good at phising, but im having trouble with making a website im building compatible with it.
Liu
Ie good enough to detect phishing? Do you guys have any idea what phishing is?
badai
owww... that is for me right?

no, i'm too dumb even to pronounce it. but my mother once told me, there are bad guys on the Internet and to stay away from them, click the tools button on my IE7, select phishing filter, and i can ask IE7 whether to check it manually, turn off the automatic checking, report it to big brother Bill, and when i learn something from you (yes, YOU here mean you Liu), I can make my IE7 more intelligent in identifying those bad guys out there.

now help me out here, what is phishing?

airh3ad
Well yeah phising is good the sites that produce spyware, viruses, excessive pop-up ads, junk e-mail or other threats.. i dnt know if this the real meaning of phising.
CMA
Liu wrote:
Do you guys have any idea what phishing is?

Well...

airh3ad wrote:
attempts to steal passwords and other personal information by mimicking popular Web sites such as eBay Inc.'s PayPal and News Corp.'s MySpace etc....

...this pretty much sums it up, though it's not limited exclusively to websites. Emails and messaging services can also be used for phishing. So yeah, I know what phishing is.

Personally, I trust firefox and my own judgement (and bad personal experiences) to detect phishing attempts. I dunno how much (or less) safer IE is compared to firefox when it comes to phishing, but if someone cares to make a comparison...
Davidgr1200
I mostly use a very underrated tool: common sense!
I don't open mails which have suspect senders.
I don't click on attachments which have been sent to me unless I am expecting them.
I don't run programs which have been sent to me by people I do not trust explicitly.
I do not open mai lfrom banks which I do not have accounts with.
I also have a virus checker running (AVG), have an ad-blocker running and run a spyware control regularly.

To make things easier for people to whom I send email I always write the the email in text format - I don't attach word documents.
AftershockVibe
Davidgr1200 wrote:
I mostly use a very underrated tool: common sense!
I don't open mails which have suspect senders.
I don't click on attachments which have been sent to me unless I am expecting them.
I don't run programs which have been sent to me by people I do not trust explicitly.
I do not open mai lfrom banks which I do not have accounts with.
I also have a virus checker running (AVG), have an ad-blocker running and run a spyware control regularly.

Some of that is only common sense if you already have an understanding of computers. Most people aren't aware that emails even have "headers".

Common sense only gets you so far.
Actually, the fact that non-programs can still be viruses is actually counter-common sense. "It can't be a virus if my computer doesn't run it" sounds like common sense to me. It is of course wrong but to explain why you need to explain the Von Neuman architecture and how computer hardware doesn't distinguish between data and program code, despite the fact that your OS will tell you it does.

Firefox 3, which had it's first release candidate out a few days ago and should therefore be available on general release soon, also has the "detect phishing" feature. Unfortunately I think that tools like this are going to be problematic because people will believe them blindly.
airh3ad
Thats true AftershockVibe its a commonsense but how many people using internet in the world that they don't know what the file they open .
firefox browser is good but sometimes they can't open other websites can i called this a "phishing"?
friuser
I find firefox have the best phishing but than I guess I use it more than internet explorer so I can't be sure. I use opendns for a while which was extremely disappointing. Their phishing dns showed less warnings and dns were kinda slow compared to my isp's. Best way not to fall for phishing sites is not go to websites from your email client. You remove phishing 100% of the time.

I think most people should be worrying about trojans. They are incredibly tricky. Trojans can and have been able to install a trojan through a firefox and internet explorer. I got one from running a rmvb file. You should really install a virus scanner that can detect trojans. Common sense can avoid phishing sites but trojans... you can have one and not know it.
liljp617
IE does not have the best of anything in the Internet browser genre. Firefox and Opera vastly outweigh what IE does. Using IE is asking for viruses and spyware/adware.
vineeth
airh3ad wrote:
I read this article in the news paper that Mc cafe SiteAdvisor service has created a 10-question test to see whether you can spot "phishing" attempts to steal passwords and other personal information by mimicking popular Web sites such as eBay Inc.'s PayPal and News Corp.'s MySpace etc...
now what is a tool or freeware that can help warn of sites known or suspected to be phishing scams.?i hope evry one can read this . .

WHat is the url of this test ?
airh3ad
Im sorry i did not find any url of this test my friend told me that the test worked if you have mc cafe anti.

To liljp617 ( Using IE is asking for viruses and spyware/adware.) Im using IE longtime already is what you mean that im always asking viruses and spyware?
doppleganger
the best method to avoid phishing is to use your brains , coz thats what i do

i never open unknown mails, never download attachments from unkown senders, also chek for the senders email which provides a lot of information, if u think logically

well thats how i avoid, dunno abt the rest
airh3ad
Well yeah we have to think and used our common since about this topic.. phising help us to avoid infections malware programs etc..again never open unknown mails or files , never download attachments from unkown senders, also check for the recipent email which provides a lot of information, think reasonably man.
Nameless
Hmm, I must be paranoid, I moderately suspected this topic would just be a linked to a scam website when I first saw the title. [/No, really.]

And, yeah, the best tool to avoid all varieties of internet dangers is the same one used to avoid dangers IRL: Your brain. [/Has never fallen for a phishing, or any other, scam.]
ankitdatashn
I didn't get much about this topic but whatever I did I will mention those views...

Phishing can be stopped by some newly developed techniques, go to www.mail.yahoo.com for a live example, The yahoo people have created a security feature which has a photo icon that can be showed up on their mail page, so you need to upload your self photo on their servers and whenever you open the site you will see that photo, so if someone has created a phishing site you will not see that photo hence you can make out easily that it is a phishing site.

Same type of features can be built into sites to make it more secure!
hofodomo01
wait, since when was a microsoft product deemed reliable enough for daily use? =/
thinkfacility
I say, never click on a link that someone sends you unless they tell you what it's for and you know the person.

Also, don't buy anything you weren't looking for to begin with.
jenice
I've never been caught unawares *crosses fingers*. I never click on a link that leads to a place that doesn't match the domain name I'm familiar with for whoever it is in question. I don't give out my password to anyone, and I get an "official" email from somewhere asking me to verify the information, I go straight to the corporate source to verify the request if I'm unsure. I also tend to be very careful who I buy from online.
airh3ad
Lets us be aware any programs or files we are open ..
Indyan
All popular browsers have inbuilt pishing filters - IE, Firefox and Opera.
However, none of them are 100% effective.. in fact they are no where near it.
But spotting a phishing attempt is not very hard. You just need to use your common sense and follow basic things like do not directly click on a link (copy paste it so that you know what you are opening before you actually open it).
liljp617
hofodomo01 wrote:
wait, since when was a microsoft product deemed reliable enough for daily use? =/

Outside of the..I don't know...millions of people using Windows and not having problems constantly (if they know how to work computers obviously).
the-guide
Never open security sites (for example your email servers, your financial sites etc.) by clicking url links especially the links on emails. To open the sites just type it directly to your browser.

Most of all, just make sense, alway avoid something that too good to be true.
asim
hi,

hmmm yeah i know what phising is.. and im much aware how tackle dat.. well IE does this for you so why bother...
Futile
As several people have stated the best defense is common sense. Your browser has some protection but just like anti-spyware software it can only protect you so much. Emails and websites that you are not familiar with or look strange just leave them alone. Even though I know that your nature curiosity wins out, resist the temptation. Remember that curiosity killed the cat or in this case maybe your bank account or identity.
ftefts
I'm pretty much with everyone here. To me, if I get an email from something I didn't suscribe to, pitch it. Like if I have a bunch of Dairy Queen thing sin my inbox..I obviously missed something..and that's a bunch of free coupons. But if it'something like I need help paying for my trip to college in Texas..um..forget you. I have my own college to worry about. I didn't suscibe to them, or don't know them, I don't touch them.
Websites for me are a different story. I have trouble with finding things on yoyogames.com, since it is ALL downloading.
And can someone please explain to me what a trojan is?
minty
The BEST way to avoid phishing and most other malicious content is for you to be AWARE that it is out there and that it is occuring every second of every day. Awareness is the best and most reliable method for anyone to detect any kind of malicious activity.

For instance, if you are aware of how you computer *should* be acting on a daily basis, then when you start seeing abnormal activity you know that something has changed, even if your AV and AS tells you otherwise.
gr8inferno
I eat phish for breakfast, I hate phishing though. Very Happy
qscomputing
badai wrote:
just use IE7. good enough to detect phishing.

No, absolutely not. It may well be able to detect common phishing attempts but the phishers will become knowledgeable about how it works and make new sites that can defeat the filter. Technology is absolutely no substitute for a healthy dose of paranoia.