FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

running DOS apps in Ubuntu 7.10 plz help!!

dan751
I need to run MS-DOS applications under Ubuntu Linux, I can run win98, win2k, and winXP apps, but I need to be able to run win95 (or earlier [DOS]) apps. I'm using Crossover 6 Pro (a wine derivative) for running current apps. Can anyone help me out in getting my DOS apps to work? I need them for school homework.
bostko
Try wine emulator or install reactos
MrBlueSky
For DOS applications the de-facto standard emulator is DOSEMU. DOSEMU does for DOS applications what WINE does for Windows applications.

"sudo apt-get install dosemu" should work to install it.
csoftdev
wine is the open source version
crossover office is the commercial version
kansloos
DosEmu like Mr. BlueSky said,
or use qemu to create a FreeDOS based virtual machine, but that is not preferred.
jackill
DOSBox should be in repository. I used it to elmuale old Discworld adventure games Smile
nepheus
I wonder why you want to do that. I think bash shell is better than DOS many times.
MrBlueSky
nepheus wrote:
I wonder why you want to do that. I think bash shell is better than DOS many times.

It doesn't run DOS-applications.
qscomputing
As many people have already mentioned, DOSBox and DOSEMU are the two main ways to run DOS programs in Linux. There is a small difference though: DOSBox is an emulator and emulates an entire x86 PC in software, whereas DOSEMU virtualizes most of the hardware - that is, it runs directly on your processor without emulation. Other devices that aren't common on old DOS machines are emulated - such as a sound card and so on.