FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Running old programs on new systems?

hofodomo01
I don't remember where I read this before, but is there some sort of program that lets you run, say, Windows 98-ish software on vista?

I've read something like this before, a windows emulator or something to that effect....

For example, let's say I wanted to run Warcraft II or Final Fantasy VIII on my windows vista. Is there a compatibility program so I can run these old software on vista?
LostOverThere
Yes, its called Windows 98. Wink

In most versions of windows you can run a program to make it act like a Windows 98 program and so forth. But that doesn't usually work very well. Your best option is to find a patch for the software itself
MrBlueSky
For DOS games, and games which use Protected DOS mode, like warcraft 2, you can use Dosbox. Here is the list of games it supports: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?letter=a (wc2 is on the list. FF isn't, but chances are it will work anyway).
Kelvin
You can try the easiest method 1st by simply right clicking on the program (executable file) you have installed then select properties. From there.... click on "compatibility" then check the "run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select the appropriate OS eg. Windows 98 / Windows ME. I used this method to run one of my older game "Starship Troopers" which refused to work until I made this option. It however did not run properly on my friend's Vista PC. Give it a go and see.
Studio Madcrow
Many programs written in the Win9x era should still run normally. For ones that don't you'll have to run the old OS in a VM (VMware and Virtual PC seem to be the favorites)
hofodomo01
aight, thanks, i'll give it a shot. yeah, now i remember dosbox...