FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Videogames and Economics

federicosauretetencabo
I am interested in creating a videogames company and I really don't know where to start from. But I am really concerned about the need to know about business economics in order to guarrantee that the business is not a complete failure... any recommendations? Which books would be interesting for me to read?

Fede

PS: Sorry If this has been already posted, I did search but found nothing...
Dark-Tech
what do you mean by "creating a videogames company"
do you mean "gamestop" chain store sales place
or
do you mean "Blizzard" or "Bungie" kinda store
or
do you mean a video game company like an Xzone which people come to play tornaments and hang out with groups of gamers
loryl
1. Play videogames.
2. Get a job in a company related to what you're thinking of.
3. Gain experience from 2.
4. Learn theories about economics.
5. You'll know what to do.

I think it's more important to know the practical stuff than to just read books. Theory doesn't get most people anywhere. If they did, we'd all be rich.
bogger
practical stuff is the best.

It would also help if you told us how much experience you already have...

And what kind of company will it be? and PLC, I presume?

If so, I can't help you, I only know the European laws for this, afaik, the USA ones are completely different
deStructuralized
loryl wrote:
1. Play videogames.
2. Get a job in a company related to what you're thinking of.
3. Gain experience from 2.
4. Learn theories about economics.
5. You'll know what to do.

I think it's more important to know the practical stuff than to just read books. Theory doesn't get most people anywhere. If they did, we'd all be rich.

Definitely the way to go.

A huge number of businesses fail within their first year of operation. You need to know business/economics unless you're willing to put your capital, knowledge, and time at unnecessary risk.

Another alternative is to partner up with someone who does know about the business side of things, so that each of you can specialize at what you do best: you, video game design, and he, finance, marketing, and strategy. The issue here is that it'd better be someone you can trust.

If you're planning on learning about finance, marketing, and strategy on your own, then get real world experience as an employee. Use that opportunity to network and find industry connects. Supplement that with books. Maybe get an MBA or equivalent somewhere down the line to further expand your knowledge.
johnBdoe
It is highly recommended that you get a job with an existing video games company to gain some insight into the video games industry. Although I am not in that industry, I believe it is highly competitive and more complicated than it looks. And mostly important, it requires not just a lot of cash, it requires A LOT, A LOT, A LOT of cash (or capital in economist's terms). Also to build a popular title nowadays, you need an excellent game engine, a good game concept, professional developers and the list goes on. In short, it is not as easy as it seems. However, if there is a will, there is a way. Hope that your dream comes true.