FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Crysis is out!

equil
Hello everyone! Crysis is finaly out and it's time you might want to upgrade your system.
If you don't have Windows Vista it's alright. Vista has the advantage of DirectX 10 and the sole purpose
of DirectX 10 is to improve minor graphics. But playing the game with DirectX 10 requires a high end
PC.
In fact, Cysis IS a very demanding game and playing it with Windows XP ( DirectX 9 ) also requires a
very good PC. But I recommend you play on XP rather than Vista.
Playing the game with a Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, and a 8800 GTS would not give you any lag while the
graphics options are set to high. Resoulution must be 1024x768 with 2x AA.
There are tweaking guides also available on the net that can be used to turn off certain graphics options
like shadows etc. This improves performance.
Please post replays if you have played the game and your thoughts about it.
poly
I think the game is great, and it makes all the gamers out there wanting to get a new better PC (or is it just an excuse?)^^ I played it a little, looks like fun..
lethaltriad
I refuse to go the Vista route, running it on XP and thank god I upgraded my PC the other day. Don't get to play it as much cuz of work but its been fun so far, graphics really.. lush lol

I just wish the special modes would last a lil longer.. go invisible and run for 5 secs and its drained already.
ryandeboer
I haven't played the full version yet, but isn't it cool how in the demo you can run with all the DX10 features in DX9 on windows XP [1]?

Anyone got the full version working with DX10 features in DX9 yet? I hope its just as easy.

I was thinking about buying a new PC with vista and an 8800 card, but theres no point now. About the only game that looks better on DX10 so far is microsoft flight simulator, but thats no surprise since they also made the operating system and DX10. I find microsoft flight simulators boring anyway. Maybe someday there will be a cool game like Crysis that really does need DX10.

[1] http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=11837.msg204297#msg204297
ZeroXD
ryandeboer wrote:
I haven't played the full version yet, but isn't it cool how in the demo you can run with all the DX10 features in DX9 on windows XP [1]?

Anyone got the full version working with DX10 features in DX9 yet? I hope its just as easy.

I was thinking about buying a new PC with vista and an 8800 card, but theres no point now. About the only game that looks better on DX10 so far is microsoft flight simulator, but thats no surprise since they also made the operating system and DX10. I find microsoft flight simulators boring anyway. Maybe someday there will be a cool game like Crysis that really does need DX10.

[1] http://www.crysis-online.com/forum/index.php?topic=11837.msg204297#msg204297

I don't think you can make directx10 features work in directx9, i think that thread was more for just making the highest possible quality settings in directx9 possible. Crysis is so detailed graphic-wise, I just think the new shaders aren't necessary to make it look beautiful.

And as a response to not getting new hardware for it, if you can run in the very highest settings without a top quality directx10 card, I would love to know what your running. It has been the absolute most graphically demanding game I've seen on the PC in a long time. I played the game with an old school 3.4ghz processor and 7900gs KO, but my graphical experience were nowhere near how good it could have been.

Beat the game in about 5-6hours I think even with me messing around in my powersuit a ton, it seemed pretty short.
datter
I got a spiffy new system, but not specifically for Crysis. It plays it at 1680x1050 all high settings plus the tweak to allow for very high/directX10 effects in XP, and frankly it looks terrific. Sadly, aside from the graphics the game is just another shooter... though it's better than I expected. I'm surprised to say I enjoyed Call of Duty 4 more.
Kelcey
My system can't touch crysis Sad
bulek
Mine too, I think that developers didn't optimize Crysis on purpose so people would buy new computers. Come on, even the best computers can't run Crysis on very high graphics setting Confused
Jeff_vella_leone
bulek wrote:
Mine too, I think that developers didn't optimize Crysis on purpose so people would buy new computers. Come on, even the best computers can't run Crysis on very high graphics setting Confused

well mine can run it at full allready
allthough i bought a pc for crysis
and im quite satisfied with the performance

you just need a quad core and somewhat 3 gb of ram
and an 8800 gtx
and you can run it quite well at full settings i think

i just have 2 gb of ram and its depressing because i have much power for high resolutions and i cant adopt them with a quad core 3 ghz extreem 64 bit and an 8800 gtx oc wc its way faster
Jeff_vella_leone
datter wrote:
I got a spiffy new system, but not specifically for Crysis. It plays it at 1680x1050 all high settings plus the tweak to allow for very high/directX10 effects in XP, and frankly it looks terrific. Sadly, aside from the graphics the game is just another shooter... though it's better than I expected. I'm surprised to say I enjoyed Call of Duty 4 more.

yea i agree with you
call of duty is much more of a good gameplay game then crysis

and if you want a real good game you should try Time shift
the power to manipulate time is so cool
war3brasil
crysis didn go well in my machine... Sad but i can play it in Medium configs. COD4 is way better anyway.
Revvion
For some reason i don't really like crysis, cant put my finger on it but its just seems a bit to easy and a repeat of other games except now you have a nano suit.
Kitten Kong
I have to say that I was let down by this game, as DETAILED as the graphics were I really missed the high contrast "happy" color palette from FarCry. Also the nanosuit makes me feel like im playing with god mode on.
Jeff_vella_leone
Kitten Kong wrote:
I have to say that I was let down by this game, as DETAILED as the graphics were I really missed the high contrast "happy" color palette from FarCry. Also the nanosuit makes me feel like im playing with god mode on.

have to say that i expected more from crysis but the nano suit makews it cool
Trevarion
Bought it on the day of release, but I couldn't play it back then becouse my pc couldn't handle it Razz
My new PC playes everything on high (SLI GeForce 8800GTX & Quad Core for the win! Very Happy)
The graphics are very detailed, especially on DirectX 10. Haven't played the multiplayer a lot yet, I'm currently fooling around with the sandbox editor.
andersonshatch
I tried it on my laptop - 2.4ghz core 2 duo and nvidia 8600MGT. It didn't run particularly well on medium and i gave up without spending much time on it.
Yjaxygames
andersonshatch wrote:
I tried it on my laptop - 2.4ghz core 2 duo and nvidia 8600MGT. It didn't run particularly well on medium and i gave up without spending much time on it.

It doesn't run well on any computer.
anilerk
i've finished the game.
it was wonderful.

graphics are also good.
it was very important to support Turkish language.
i liked it.

by the way,it's demos are very nice.
mOrpheuS
Finished the game last week.
While graphics are pretty good, the game itself is not. Sad

There were a few innovations in the gameplay - the combat suit system, and the introduction(?) of zero-gravity in a shooter.
But it was as if there was nothing new to the game at all !
The two new concepts could have been developed a bit more.

It's the same old story -
- some overzealous scientists, in their quest for unravelling the deepest secrets, unleash a parasitic alien species into the earth
- some person keeps instructing you over radio to go from point A to point B while shooting everything in your path
- right down to the arcade style boss fight.

It became downright boring towards the end.

With all the hype, one would expect the game to be a just a bit more than a run-of-the-mill shooter.

Ran fine on a 2.2Ghz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM & 8800GT
@1440x900, 2xFSAA, all settings at "High".

By the way, I benchmarked it using the inbuilt tool on both XP and Vista, and have to say that it really doesn't matter - I got the same exact framerates on both.
st-games
because you do not use DX 10

Vista is not slow, DX is slow.

with DX 9 high is maximum, but with DX 10 very high is maximum option

but.... there is a trick to play very high on DX 9...