FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sound problems

wumingsden
I have a few sound problems with my PC.

First off, a quick background as to what happened. I had to re-install windows. No recovery CD came with the computer so i had to burn my own and us the serial number on the box.
So, i re-installed successfully.

Sound wouldn't work, so I re-installed the RealTek '97 drivers, which worked.
If i play a audio file in WMP it usually plays. If i play a video, it plays, but the audio depends on the mood its in.

No sound works on websites through the browser firefox.

The keyboard volume buttons (up, down, mute), don't work.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? And how to possibly solve it?

Thank you in advance.
AftershockVibe
Looks like there are a few things going on here.

Firstly, some keyboards require windows to use a special driver before the "multimedia keys" will work. See if you can find a model number and have a google.

As for video playback, is it for different videos or for the same one when it decides to play or not. If it's always the same videos then you're probably missing a codec of some sort.

Not sure about the sound from Firefox... can you get Flash to output sound (eg on youTube)?
wumingsden
AftershockVibe wrote:
Looks like there are a few things going on here.

Firstly, some keyboards require windows to use a special driver before the "multimedia keys" will work. See if you can find a model number and have a google.

As for video playback, is it for different videos or for the same one when it decides to play or not. If it's always the same videos then you're probably missing a codec of some sort.

Not sure about the sound from Firefox... can you get Flash to output sound (eg on youTube)?

will try and search for keyboard model number.

i'm not too sure. i'm not at the pc at the moment to check. i gather some have sound, some don't. i have divx and xvid codecs installed (like i had before the re-installation) ... but there is just no sound.

video's on sites like youtube will not work, so no.
SgtGarcia
It might be easier to help if you give us as much information about your pc as possible. Is it a custom pc? Or does it has some brand and typenumber. If it is for example a HP computer we might be able to find the necessary software if you provide us with enough information
wumingsden
SgtGarcia wrote:
It might be easier to help if you give us as much information about your pc as possible. Is it a custom pc? Or does it has some brand and typenumber. If it is for example a HP computer we might be able to find the necessary software if you provide us with enough information

No, its not a custom PC ... its here. I installed the Realtek AC'97 Audio Driver thats on the driver list. Theres another list called "Original Drivers", i didn't know whether these were needed tho so decided not to install them. what i don't understand is my sound can play sound usually, just not in browsers, for example.
a.Bird
I'm not quite sure about your audio not playing in Firefox, but it does appear that you are missing the codecs required to get sound from your video files. Installing the RealTek driver will certainly allow windows to properly communicate with your motherboard's audio chipset but you will need specific codecs to decode the audio in your videos to hear it. I highly recommend the K-Lite Codec Pack which contains all the video and audio codecs the average user would need to play all popular formats correctly. The link is http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=3905&s=95 and once it finishes downloading and you've opened it, the installation pretty straight forward. It should also come with Windows Media Player Classic, which is a great video player that handles almost anything and is much less bloated than the standard WMP. If you decide not to use it, no harm no foul, it's part of the whole pack installation and is removed if you decide to uninstall the pack at any time. Also, you should browse around http://www.free-codecs.com for a bit, they have a lot of great tools and guides covering this sort of stuff. Good luck. Smile
orcaz
i haf a hp comp too, but i dont download the drivers frm hp site as they are outdated. try dlding from www.realtek.com.tw and try k lite codec pack
doppleganger
well another good site for downloading almost all drivers are www.windrivers.com

they haev a comprehensive list of them there
wumingsden
OK. I got back home and tried to fix the sound problems, which are now solved.

I tried to change mist sound settings, and tried different speakers, do no avail .....

I did have the K-Lite codec pack install beforehand. however, the sound in my browers worked fine before i did install it.

But installing K-Lite -did- solve the problem. basically the installtion of it informed me that there was a problem in my registry and sound would sometimes not work. The K-Lite installation program fixed this error.

Thank you everyone for the help. I appreciate it Smile

Wumingsden
-locked-