FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FreeBSD

TheForgottenArts
From the FreeBSD site, I can't seem to download the .iso from their FTP to burn it D: Is there another SAFE place to download FreeBSD. Also, is it like Ubuntu, where I can live boot? If someone could answer these, I'd be very happeh.
Arno v. Lumig
I don't know about any other places where you can download FreeBSD. It is not a Live CD like Ubuntu. As a matter of fact, you can hardly compare it to Ubuntu, FreeBSD is much more advanced.
TheForgottenArts
Alright. I'm trying a bunch of different OS's on my old laptop Razz I wanted to try FreeBSD is all.
JayBee
If you wan to try some BSD system, then you should download PC-BSD http://www.pcbsd.org/ It is more user friendly BSD and its designed to be used on desktops and it is based on FreeBSD (or at leas compatible with FreeBSD).
TheForgottenArts
But is it OK if it's on a laptop?
mehulved
Besides PC-BSD there's also DesktopBSD project. If you are new to BSD's then either PC-BSD or DesktopBSD is a good start. They are like ubuntu's and mandriva's of BSD.
There's no live install CD for FreeBSD AFAIK.
fiendskull9
FreeBSD had a home on my laptop for awhile

i warn you, package management can be a little foggy

there is two groups of people really, the pkg advocates, and the ports advocates

so REALLY read the manual thoroughly

i would recommend DesktopBSD or PCBSD though if your coming from ubuntu Smile
{name here}
TheForgottenArts wrote:
From the FreeBSD site, I can't seem to download the .iso from their FTP to burn it D: Is there another SAFE place to download FreeBSD. Also, is it like Ubuntu, where I can live boot? If someone could answer these, I'd be very happeh.

The safest place is from their site. They don't really have a live CD. Just pop the ISO into a VM like QEMU or VirtualPC and install it on there. See if you like it. Considering you've only got experience with Ubuntu, I'm guessing you won't like FreeBSD at first because you actually have to configure things to get it to work. To configure things you need to read the manual. Luckily FreeBSD has a great manual that might make you get it.
Ranfaroth
The BSD live CD is called FreeSBIE.
Studio Madcrow
I prefer PC-BSD to the "official" FreeBSD distro. Easier to use, works better with desktop hardware and more. PC-BSD is the only really good free Unix that can challenge Linux as a Desktop OS.
infobankr
FReeBSD is a different operating system than linux, but I'm hesitant to agree with another poster calling it more advanced.

If you want to try out FreeBSD, you can always run it in a virtual machine, like QEMU.
infobankr
I should also mention that I think FreeBSD is a terrific OS - it powers most of the firewalls I use, as the platform for m0n0wall and pfSense.

Oh yeah it also powers the phone system I use - askozia!
mehulved
I just got on to FreeBSD some couple of days back. It was a rocky road but well worth a try. If not FreeBSD, do atleast try PC-BSD. It will be a really nice experience.
xbow
try DragonFly http://www.dragonflybsd.org the most user friendly freebsd (for daily use) i ever use, it already included xfce as default windows manager. It's live cd but u can also installing it into your hdd.
For server use i prefer using original FreeBSD.
Arnie
I'm not such a FreeBSD fan. Especially for server use OpenBSD is much nicer (and the most secure you can get!). There is the live CD OliveBSD although it doesn't seem to perform really well.
Donutey
I just installed FreeBSD over FTP (saved me two CDs Rolling Eyes ), and it's been an interesting experience, mostly because it is much more unix-like than linux is. It's somewhat intimidating, especially because the default configuration only has a very basic window manger (that you have to initiate). Hopefully, next weekend I'll have time to get a basic LAMP server up and running on it.
mehulved
Donutey wrote:
It's somewhat intimidating, especially because the default configuration only has a very basic window manger (that you have to initiate).

You went with the defualt install options? I somehow find that option really boring, I like to be selective right from beginning, thus I have messed up so many times with FreeBSD in the past but it's better now, after getting in the first install. But, the first upgrade didn't go fine. Have to find way to repair it Sad
{name here}
JayBee wrote:
If you wan to try some BSD system, then you should download PC-BSD http://www.pcbsd.org/ It is more user friendly BSD and its designed to be used on desktops and it is based on FreeBSD (or at leas compatible with FreeBSD).

If you want to learn how to do it right, it might just be good enough to use FreeBSD. It has a really good and thourough documentation anyways. The first time I really started to understand how to truly manage a unix machine was on this system and reading its docs.
Arnie
Well yeah, if you have too much time on your hands that (or rather OpenBSD imo) is recommended. Otherwise...
uninverted
I'm also thinking of trying (Free)BSD. It seems a LOT like Linux (That's a good thing, because open source Unixes are great).
Studio Madcrow
FreeBSD is a good kernel, but it's not very user friendly by default. If you really want to run BSD on a desktop, try PC-BSD, which build a user friendly system on top of the FreeBSD kernel.
darthrevan
I have currently installed PCBSD 9.1RC2(I believe this one is). This version isn't considered stable, but testing. With this version, I have finally got the option to use the ZFS Filesystem with PCBSD, in which I am so glad. ZFS is a great filesystem they say; on a site note, the Btrfs file system that is in development has some of the same features as ZFS. Though if you want to install PCBSD on ZFS, this version is the only one I have found that allows it by default, if you have atleast 2GB of RAM.

The one thing about PBI package format is that the packages are large, though they include through needed libraries but I prefer smaller file even if it is is multiple that make me feel as it won't take forever compared to one large file.