FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Australian federal election - Labor wins it

bigdan
We'll get getting a new government....Kevin Rudd and the Labor party has won power for the first time in 11 years.

Quote:
Labor sweeps to victory

ABC elections analyst Antony Green is predicting Labor will return to power after 11 years of Coalition government with a 20-seat majority.

The ABC elections computer predicts 85 seats for Labor in the new Parliament.

"At this stage we are looking like 85 seats for Labor, and that gives Labor a majority of 20 seats at this stage," Mr Green said.

"Now there may be a bit of moving up and down on that but at this stage that is settling down.

"If Labor starts to slip behind in a few Queensland seats then maybe Western Australia will matter, but at this stage it's continuing to track towards a Labor government."

"The picture I'm seeing is that the Government is behind in everything," he added.

"We've got them [Labor] gaining 16 - I'm always prepared to say that's up or down two - but they're also ahead in six other seats which we still class as doubtful which were Liberal-held," he said.

"So that's why on this sort of basis - this is a probability-based exercise - they're not going to suddenly turn around in those."

Labor's deputy leader Julia Gillard says Labor has all but won.

"On the numbers we're seeing tonight, Labor is going to form a government," she said.

With counting underway in Queensland, Labor is polling strongly in leader Kevin Rudd's home state, strengthening its position.

Prime Minister John Howard is facing a battle to keep his seat of Bennelong.

Labor's Maxine McKew has led since counting began, but the two-party preferred count is neck and neck.

The Coalition also looks set to lose the bellweather seat of Eden-Monaro.

Former prime minister Bob Hawke has told Sky TV that Labor has won.

But Defence Minister Brendan Nelson is still reluctant to concede that the election is lost.

"It is looking very difficult for the government," Mr Nelson said. "It doesn't look as if it's going all that well for us in Queensland."
tijn01
Yay! I'm really happy Labor have won. Although I think both parties offer very limited change, it is a relief to not have to look at John Howard anymore. Him and his lackies were getting particularly power-hungry, I think they thought they were unbeatable. I just hope that Labor makes more change than they said they were going to. Australia has changed for the worse under Howard's government, in my opinion.
I think Australia could be a very unique country if it stops trying to be like America.
I hope Rudd concentrates on the environment, stops the pulp mill, withdraws Australian troops from Iraq, reverses the work-choices legislation, and returns Australia to a country that welcomes refugees and immigrants with open arms (whether there from Africa or not!).
Congrats to Labor, commiserations to Liberal (and poor Johny who seems to have lost his seat too).
bigdan
tijn01 wrote:
Yay! I'm really happy Labor have won. Although I think both parties offer very limited change, it is a relief to not have to look at John Howard anymore. Him and his lackies were getting particularly power-hungry, I think they thought they were unbeatable. I just hope that Labor makes more change than they said they were going to. Australia has changed for the worse under Howard's government, in my opinion.
I think Australia could be a very unique country if it stops trying to be like America.
I hope Rudd concentrates on the environment, stops the pulp mill, withdraws Australian troops from Iraq, reverses the work-choices legislation, and returns Australia to a country that welcomes refugees and immigrants with open arms (whether there from Africa or not!).
Congrats to Labor, commiserations to Liberal (and poor Johny who seems to have lost his seat too).

Same (I did vote for them in the House of Reps). It's time for a change, and I hope they can live up to the expectations put upon them.
TomGrey
I'm sorry pro-Iraqi Freedom Howard lost, but it's no big surprise. In a real democracy, the hope is for a peaceful change for the better (with the fear being a change for the worse) -- it's good to have change for new blood's sake.

Like anti-Americans Chirac & Schroder losing (to Sarkozy & Merkel), the desire for change was probably stronger than pro or anti American.

As these next 12 months are likely to see the biggest improvement in Iraq, I'm sure many Australian soldiers won't be sooooo happy to run away from a slo-mo victory.
Tim Graham
TomGrey wrote:
I'm sorry pro-Iraqi Freedom Howard lost, but it's no big surprise. In a real democracy, the hope is for a peaceful change for the better (with the fear being a change for the worse) -- it's good to have change for new blood's sake.

Like anti-Americans Chirac & Schroder losing (to Sarkozy & Merkel), the desire for change was probably stronger than pro or anti American.

As these next 12 months are likely to see the biggest improvement in Iraq, I'm sure many Australian soldiers won't be sooooo happy to run away from a slo-mo victory.
Right..

It now seems that the PM has lost his seat to the Labor candidate Maxine McKew which is quite exceptional. I'm not so sure on Brendan Nelson/Julie Bishop as leader/deputy leader of the Opposition though..they're both a bit lacking in the personality stakes. It was quite astonishing to see the Libs effectively implode the way they did..Howard out, Costello out, and then Downer saying he wouldn't be contesting.

It's probably a good thing that they've got Nelson first though, since there's a very strong probably he won't be the only leader of the Opposition for the next three years.

Did the election here get much attention overseas? I know that the BBC covered it a litte, as well as Le Monde I think - mainly focusing on the defeat of a long-serving conservative Prime Minister at a time of relative prosperity.
LumberJack
Canada reported it. Prime minister Rudd seems like he would like to quickly get onto the Global Warming scene. Is that something a lot of aussies elected him for? Its good news for Kyoto and makes my Prime minister look like a tool, anything that makes my prime minister look like an idiot is generally welcome in my books (that is because he is).

Our previous prime minister said that one of his defining moments in his career was staying out of the Iraq war. Most Canadians agree with him I think, right now we are focused on Afghanistan.

Good luck in Australia.
Tim Graham
LumberJack wrote:
Canada reported it. Prime minister Rudd seems like he would like to quickly get onto the Global Warming scene. Is that something a lot of aussies elected him for? Its good news for Kyoto and makes my Prime minister look like a tool, anything that makes my prime minister look like an idiot is generally welcome in my books (that is because he is).
Yeah climate change was a pretty big part of their campaign (especially when you consider that a lot of their policies were very similar to the Liberal party) - signing Kyoto right away and establishing binding targets for reducing GHG emissions (I think it was 60% by 2050).

It's been rushed through a bit so that we'll have ratified it in time for the conference on global warming in Bali this month - whether or not it's fully passed I believe Australia will be considered a Kyoto country which leaves the US out in the cold a bit.
LumberJack
Bali is going to be a successor to Kyoto. Whether or not the US can ignore the agreement remains to be seen. It is interesting that this is occurring during an election year. Canada seems to be dithering with respect to its commitment. Our government is so hopelessly contradictory, it is ridiculous.

One thing Bali is going to try to do try and give governments some ideas on how to accomplish things. Since 99% of politicians are too stupid, corrupt, or bought to want to do anything anyways.