FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Sleep Deficit?

Drawingguy
Is there truly such a thing as a sleep deficit? I mean, I'm sure there is, but to what extent?

A sleep deficit is just what it sounds like- when you don't get as much sleep as you ought, you start to 'owe' hours of sleep.

I'm wondering, because I think that my sleep habits aren't the greatest; every school night, I go to bed anytime between 1 and 2, and then I wake up at 7. I mean, sometimes I stay up until 3, but those are the rare occasions. It's a bit odd, too, because I don't really take naps upon returning from school or whatnot- I just sleep a lot on the weekends.

Could this be bad? As in, could it progress until I'm in some sort of sleep-deficit-hole, and I become a pseudo-narcoleptic?
doppleganger
sleep deficit is a very bad disease, initially u do not realise the gravity of the situtation but as time passes by u will come to know

so better avoid that and try to get a good sleep as often as possible

once a week like on a weekend is fyn but do not make it a habit
tpdreams
I don't think you can have a sleep deficit, as you really can never make the sleep up.

If I normally get 5-6 hours a night, will I sleep like Rip Van Winkle during winter break?

Quote:
There is debate among researchers as to whether there is such a thing as sleep debt.

I think you can have a sleep debt, but you're SOL trying to replay it! Wink
TBSC
tpdreams wrote:
I don't think you can have a sleep deficit, as you really can never make the sleep up.

If I normally get 5-6 hours a night, will I sleep like Rip Van Winkle during winter break?

Quote:
There is debate among researchers as to whether there is such a thing as sleep debt.

I think you can have a sleep debt, but you're SOL trying to replay it! Wink

Yeah I think so. If you dont sleep at night you want to crash early evening because you are so exhausted and will probably "catch up" on a few hours that way.
Guelila
hollybob wrote:
i'd like to sleeeeeep , for a long time , more than 12 hours!

omg, me too.

But i dont think we can "owe" hours of sleep, because even when I have very little sleep, I sometimes make it up by sleeping a little more the next day, but not always.
Even though one day I might get 3 hours of sleep, I go back to my normal sleeping routine the next day, without extra sleep..
misterXY
well... i've been up for hours (over 24) and running on about 5 hours of sleep... i do this annually and feel nothing with it, even can make B+'s in school. So i don't really know but theres times we're i can crash for like 14 hrs lol. or sleep at random times when even i don't want to like class? so i guess its real Rolling Eyes
Afaceinthematrix
I think it depends on the body. Many doctors tell you 8 hours and stick to that, but I only get about 5-6 hours of sleep a night and I function just fine. That amount of sleep is perfect for me.
kerryworkman
Drawingguy wrote:
Is there truly such a thing as a sleep deficit? I mean, I'm sure there is, but to what extent?

A sleep deficit is just what it sounds like- when you don't get as much sleep as you ought, you start to 'owe' hours of sleep.

I'm wondering, because I think that my sleep habits aren't the greatest; every school night, I go to bed anytime between 1 and 2, and then I wake up at 7. I mean, sometimes I stay up until 3, but those are the rare occasions. It's a bit odd, too, because I don't really take naps upon returning from school or whatnot- I just sleep a lot on the weekends.

Could this be bad? As in, could it progress until I'm in some sort of sleep-deficit-hole, and I become a pseudo-narcoleptic?

I think that we all have very close similarities because we are all human beings and yet we all are different at the same time. I think you need to tune into your body and listen to how you react to different things. Some of us are perfectly able and happy to function on 5 hours of sleep per night and others need at least 8 or more hours to do what we have to do throughout the day. If you find that your mind is wondering when you are suppose to be focused and that you are beat and falling asleep at 4 in the afternoon, you might want to re-think the number of hours you are sleeping. Sleeping is a very important time for your mind and body.... consider it the natural comparison to rebooting your computer. For us a way to refresh mind and body.
Afaceinthematrix
Well everyone's body is a little different, so I think it's wrong to be dogmatic and say that everyone must get 8 hours of sleep a night. 5-6 hours a night is pretty good (it's what I've been getting lately, although I used to get less), as long as you aren't always tired during the day.
Snizneth
I think it comes down to your age, your nutrition and you're mental state. There are actually buddhist monks that don't sleep at all, they just meditate (no, they are not the same, but similar) I think you're more likely to develop chronic health problems later on if you don't sleep enough.
loonix
As a lifelong sufferer of Sleep Apnea I can tell you Sleep Depravation (deficit) is a very real thing which having suffered from, unknowingly, for about 20 years before diagnosis I can attest, can have a hugely negative effect upon your life. Try staying awake for 3 days straight and see how easily you function or not :p