FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Project motivation

Vladalf
Hello! Me and a friend have some projects wich we work at whenever we have time but we have a serious prooblem: motivation. We had allot of motivation when we started the projects and one is allmost done but when we think that the next project should be more complex and better than the last one we kind of loose our motivation. Anyone have some tips on how to keep your motvation allways?
Magicman
If at all possible, complete the most difficult part of your project first. You should also always have a plan. Good luck completing these projects.
Keran
For me the best motivation is seeing that there is always something going on, that there isn't any stop or pause in the job. - Means everyone knows what to do.
Making frequent meetings just to think about how much You've done so far and how much is to be done is very helpful, keeps You focused on the goal and as stated above, provides the feeling that there's always something going on.
standready
Good luck on your projects. Here is your motivation - "Get them done or I will come kick your ...." j/k
catscratches
Magicman wrote:
If at all possible, complete the most difficult part of your project first. You should also always have a plan. Good luck completing these projects.
This actually doesn't work very well for me. Since when I've done all the difficult stuff then it's just the boring easy stuff left. No challenge in it.
j_f_k
break the project up into parts. It doesn't matter how you break them up, as long as, at the end of each part you can say - I've completed something.

Then when you get to the end of a part of hte project - you feel you've achieved something - the sense of achievement if the main motivation and is effective.

Not all projects split up easily and you've also got to be prepared to change the plan as the project progresses - otherwise if hte parts you achieve become irrelevant, then your motivation will sap.

Works for me anyway
AftershockVibe
standready wrote:
Good luck on your projects. Here is your motivation - "Get them done or I will come kick your ...." j/k

While this was a joke, it actually leads on to a serious idea.

I always find that for doing exercise/sport it's easy to start skipping sessions because you can't be bothered that day. However, if you do it as a pair or a team then this is less likely because you're encouraged by the other people.

Perhaps if you split up the work for your project so that it is all interdependent then any one person is less likely to stop because the others will encourage him/her and also no-one wants the blame of destroying the project!

Think of it as peer pressure for your own good! Razz
Vladalf
Thanks for the tips! It's true when you go to meet with you'r team to discuss about the projects you kind of get motivated. It motivates you also when you see that all the team members work.
ocalhoun
I always have several projects going on at the same time. I break them down into three categories:
-Exercise (Like running, or push-ups)
-Building/repair (Like adding a new hard drive to a computer, or working on my truck)
-Electronic work (such as writing software or a novel)

I always work on all three every day, alternating days if I have more than one project in a category. I force myself to make tangible progress on each one every time. If for some reason I fail to work on one for one day, I make myself do double work the next day to make up for it. Ever since I started that, I've been amazed at how productive I am.
crimson_aria
I think about failing and that's what motivates me most of the time. and if it's hard, then I just think about how I would not want to do it over again. eerr.. >.<

good luck with your project.
whitehole
I keep motivated by writing down my goals and then reading what I write down once in the morning when I wake up and once right before I go to bed. It takes like 2 minutes a day and the repetition is an amazing way to stay on track.

After reading something like this for three weeks it's hard not to think about it. Try and keep the writing to things you can see or visualize.

ex good: i want a flat stomach and I am going to run 2 miles every day and do 50 situps every day.

ex bad: i want to be more fit and look better

notice how the first one you know exactly what you want to do/achieve and on the second one it is more subjective.

It really works and I do it for anything i want from getting good grades to starting a new habit.

Goodluck!
Vladalf
Thanks everyone, i think starting another project won't be so hard at all.
Whitehole you have very good ideeas there.
gerly20
Vladalf wrote:
Hello! Me and a friend have some projects wich we work at whenever we have time but we have a serious prooblem: motivation. We had allot of motivation when we started the projects and one is allmost done but when we think that the next project should be more complex and better than the last one we kind of loose our motivation. Anyone have some tips on how to keep your motvation allways?

[quote="gerly20'] Work on the project in pieces. Start on the project early and do a little of it each day or every other day or every three days. This is a good way to handle a complex or big project. Wink
datter
I currently have at least three great ideas, that I honestly think would be worth doing. Two are entertainment related, and one is a product idea. I’ve no doubt that at least one of them would score and become successful, if not all of them. The problem is, I really can’t be bothered to do anything about it. I wish I knew why that was.

In my youth I had boundless energy and enthusiasm, and if I had the resources I have now, there’s no doubt in my mind that I’d have actually followed through on some of these ideas. I used to spend countless hours hand drawing cels for some cartoons I used to work on, or painstakingly shoot stop motion animation frame-by-frame in my basement with a Super8 camera I rigged up for the task. When I was done, I’d show family and friends and that sort of thing and it was a lot of fun. If I’d had the resources available now back then… the 3d animation packages, Photoshop and all that sort of thing plus the internet as a terrific vehicle to share my work and possibly make some money from it. If i had all this back then… wow. The thought boggles my mind, but there was nothing 3d back then except the red and blue glasses you’d go see b-rated movies with, and the internet? Well, this was back when the internet was called ‘books’.

The thing is, I’m in this mode of looking back on what I could have accomplished, and lamenting missed opportunties and bad timing. When I look at it objectively however I realize that I was never in a better position to do something about these ideas I have than I am right now. I’m older, wiser and far more skilled than I ever was before. I have more tools at my disposal, and a perfect vehicle to get my ideas out there via the internet. Nevermind what might have been, how about what can be tomorrow if I implement my ideas today.

Simple. Just do it…. but I don’t.

See, not only have I gotten older, wiser and more skilled over the years… I’ve also gotten lazier and more complacent. When it comes right down to it, there’s the problem. Laziness. Shiftlessness. The “I’m too tired, I’ll do it tomorrow” syndrome. I suffer from that in spades.

Tonight for instance I can sit down and start writing the plotline out for one of my story ideas, and maybe even do some character sketches or rough storyboards. I could do that… but it’s so much easier to just play SWAT4 with a friend of mine, or sit and play my guitar for a couple of hours then go to bed. I enjoy that time mind you, but I’m not being productive in any way at all. I goof off in my spare time, and let my dreams waste away in my head.

Great ideas and the skills needed to make them successful… but no motivation at all. It’s really frustrating and I’m not sure what to do about it.
ThornsOfSorrow
I recommend discussing and planning the projects with your friend before actually starting them. I know that when I rush into something too fast, I run into problems that require a lot of thought to solve. When that happens, it slows me down to the point where I "take a break" from the project only to find that the break lasts all day, or sometimes multiple days. However, if I know exactly what I'm doing beforehand, I can finish a project quickly and have more fun with it.

You may also want to try rewarding yourself for completing a certain task, or even not allowing yourself to do something fun until that task is complete. For example, you can tell yourself that you're not playing video games (or something like that) until you finish the project or a certain aspect of the project. This doesn't always work for me (as I sometimes stop working and take whatever reward I've promised myself without actually earning it), but you can always try it and see if it works for you.

Remind yourself of what you're working towards. It always helps to have a goal so that you don't feel like you're completing these projects for no reason. Everything has a purpose, and it's important to keep that in mind in order to gain motivation.

Last, I find it easier to work on something part by part rather than trying to do it all at once. If you try to finish an entire project in one day, you may find that you're pushing yourself too hard, and then get frustrated with whatever you're working on, thus never going back to it again. Set a schedule for yourself that says what you're going to finish on what day. And make sure you write it down because a mental schedule is a lot easier to ignore than a schedule on paper. Don't put the deadlines too close together or too close apart because you may find that you get stressed with too much work or that you stop caring about the project with too little work. Good luck!