FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

firefox 3 beta

Srs2388
Have any of your downloaded this?
I am loving it. Cool Smile i haven't had any problems at all.
i looked for a topic on it and was shocked to not find it.
it's on download.com you should try it.
it is available on macs and pc's
MrBlueSky
I downloaded and tried it a while ago. That version still had a lot of known bugs, but generaly it worked oke. I also had to make a minor change to a plugin I created myself, and some other plugins also didn't work. Since then I haven't used it, but maybe I will give the newest version a go.

There was a topic on Firefox 3 somewhere at frihost, but it didn't get much attention.

By the way, the name (Minefield) is badly chosen, if you ask me.

-- edit --

Oh, the official name is Gran Paradiso, 'Minefield' was only a working codename.
riyadh
it's still a first beta release.i think i'll wait till a stable version or even a release candidate is released.but from the new functions added in the new version...it looks pretty awesome.ppl have been waiting for a browser like this.hope to see it being released soon
CMA
I'm not one to download things that are still in beta stages, but you caught my attention...

What's new about Firefox 3?
ammonkc
What are the new features in firefox 3 beta? is there anything compelling enough to make one want to live with a beta? I heard rumors a while ago that the firefox 3 for mac would be completely rewritten in cocoa to match the look and feel of mac osx better. Is this still the case?
Srs2388
sorry about the late reply.
it works way better in os x than the version 2... also looks better
I don't know what new features are on it the downloads look different and stuff.
i think it's worth the download
hofodomo01
i have a friend of mine who's a mac user, and he's saying that firefox is actually getting worse with each update. Oh well, seems it's still pretty windows-friendly
Gushe
I'm using it in windows now:
It seems to take little longer to load pages.. :S
JavaScript isn't already working well either..

~Gushe
silverdown
CMA wrote:
I'm not one to download things that are still in beta stages, but you caught my attention...

What's new about Firefox 3?

I'm with ^
Ranfaroth
hofodomo01 wrote:
i have a friend of mine who's a mac user, and he's saying that firefox is actually getting worse with each update.
right : on mac, use Camino, it's more appropriate...
Srs2388
i mainly use safari but camino is great.
snowboardalliance
I've heard that Firefox 3 will allow you to basically garbage collect. On my computer, firefox can get pretty high in memory usage so that sounds like the best feature (better than frequently restarting firefox).
erlendhg
Oh my, have they already started the work on Firefox 3.
I really have to test it out.

Firefox akhbar!
yanille
I think I'm gonna have to try this out
I'm a huge firefox user, and the only other browser I use is Safari, but that's just for testing out my web designs.

Thanks for telling me!
iamarun
I am using firefox and i love the way it works and protects. Thank you i didm't really know that beta3 is available. Thats great i am downloading it now and will give it a try and see the difference it makes from the older version. Thank you for the post.
kiran_n444
i loove firefox i don't know what i'd do wthout it. newayz anyone got an idea on new features? or is it just a better look and feel?
MrBlueSky
Some new features:

* support for animated PNG's
* support for Javascript 1.8, which includes slices for arrays
* A lot of changes and new features for XUL and extension-development (http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Firefox_3_for_developers#For_XUL_and_extension_developers)
* "Over 300 memory leak fixes" (http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2007/11/19/firefox-3-beta-1-now-available-for-download/)
* Improved malware protection
* Anti-virus integration in the download manager
* Resumable downloading
* Vista-like theme when you are running Vista
etc.
jabapyth
its so good, although they havnt fixed the HUGE footprint.... owell
Stubru Freak
After Firefox 3, there will be some new features in Firefox 3.5, and after that there will be Firefox 4, for which the whole Mozilla code will be rewritten. (They're already working on that now.)
Sparda
Firefox is definitely my favorite internet browser. I use to have Internet Explorer then I tried Firefox and surfing the internet has become so much better. The downloader is great, and the protection is unbelievable. When I had Internet Explorer, I could just be browsing and all of a sudden my computer starts acting up due to some Trojan. I had to restore my entire computer to its default. I then had to re-add all my hardware such as wireless internet card and graphics card. After that experience I started using firefox and I am never going to go with that problem again.
nepheus
I use FF2 and it's cool with iFox theme. But maybe it hold too much memories. My old PC get slow with it. So i wonder whether FF3 is "light" or not. Phew, i must go out to take a look for a new PC.
dude_xyx
It would be nice to have few reviews from who has installed the firefox 3 beta. is it working stable ? How about the memory usage ?
Stubru Freak
dude_xyx wrote:
It would be nice to have few reviews from who has installed the firefox 3 beta. is it working stable ? How about the memory usage ?

I'm using it. It's quite stable, the main problem is that a lot of extensions aren't updated yet. The memory usage is still high, although I don't really know if it got better as I don't keep Firefox open for very long periods.
greatfire
I'm using it now and apart from one issue it works quite well. The only trouble is sometimes when i first open it and go to type in the url of a website nothing happens. At first i thought it was the keyboards batteries dying but when i held down three letters the pc's internal speaker beeped showing that the key-presses were still being received Sad
bulek
I'm already using the new version and I must admit that I don't have any problems with it. It's already very stable so I thing that it will be released soon. I only miss lower memory usage but it seems to that they didn't optimized it much.
erlendhg
Now I have tried it for a while, and am very happy with it.
The only bug I have found was a very strange one.
After using the browser for a while (with many tabs), suddenly it seemed like there was no Internet connection even when it was.

Haven't really looked at the changes in Firefox 3 (Gran Paradiso), but I can't really spot any visual differences from Firefox 2, so I guess it is mostly security and stability updates.
Ranfaroth
Srs2388 wrote:
i mainly use safari but camino is great.
By the way, Camino 1.5.4 has been released.
ammonkc
On my mac it is noticeably quicker at rendering pages than firefox 2 is. On my macbook pro I now have been splitting time equally between firefox 3 beta and safari 3. I haven't really noticed any really unstability that has bothered me too much.

The only problem is I haven't found very many extension or themes that work with 3 beta. I've seen screenshots of firefox 3 beta with a safari theme, but I haven't been able to find it. anyone know where to find it? thanks
surdy
I recently downloaded it . I liked the new features like save session and page title appearing on the adress bar history , but it had some issues like it crashed and never recovered , even a reinstall didn;t help.
I think i'll wait for the final release
erlendhg
You people have noticed that Mozilla has released the second beta (beta 2) of Firefox 3 now?
It is getting closer to the main release now.
I am really looking forward to it.
spykE
Where can you get the beta? I know it's been around but didn't know its so easily available, or isnt it?
Stubru Freak
spykE wrote:
Where can you get the beta? I know it's been around but didn't know its so easily available, or isnt it?

All versions of Firefox, from very instable nightly versions to old releases, are made public, if you know where to find it.
They hide the beta releases from their main page to prevent normal people from downloading it. A download link is here.
spykE
Thanks, think I'll give it a shot.
ammonkc
What are the changes in firefox 3 beta 2 since beta 1? Is there anything big as far as features in this release or is it just a stability/bug fix release?
Stubru Freak
ammonkc wrote:
What are the changes in firefox 3 beta 2 since beta 1? Is there anything big as far as features in this release or is it just a stability/bug fix release?

Quote:
Firefox 3 Beta 2 includes approximately 900 improvements over the previous beta, including fixes for stability, performance, memory usage, platform enhancements and user interface improvements. Many of these improvements were based on community feedback from the previous beta.

More Secure

* [Improved in Beta 2!] Effective top-level domain (eTLD) service better restricts cookies and other restricted content to a single domain.
* [Improved in Beta 2!] Better protection against cross-site JSON data leaks.

Easier to Use

* [Improved in Beta 2!] New Download Manager: the revised download manager makes it much easier to locate downloaded files, and displays where a file came from.
* [Improved in Beta 2!] Integration with Linux: Firefox's default icons, buttons, and menu styles now use the native GTK theme.

More Personal

* [Improved in Beta 2!] Location bar & auto-complete: type in all or part of the title, tag or address of a page to see a list of matches from your history and bookmarks; a new display makes it easier to scan through the matching results and find that page you're looking for.
* [Improved in Beta 2!] Smart Bookmarks Folder: quickly access your recently bookmarked and tagged pages, as well as your more frequently visited pages with the new smart bookmarks folder on your bookmark toolbar.
* [Improved in Beta 2!] Places Organizer: view, organize and search through all of your bookmarks, tags, and browsing history with multiple views and smart folders to store your frequent searches.
* [Improved in Beta 2!] Web-based protocol handlers: web applications, such as your favorite webmail provider, can now be used instead of desktop applications for handling mailto: links from other sites. Similar support is available for other protocols (Web applications will have to first enable this by registering as handlers with Firefox).

Improved Performance

* [Improved in Beta 2!] Speed: Major architectural changes (such as the move to Cairo and a rewrite to how reflowing a page layout works) put foundations in place for major performance tuning which have resulted in speed increases in Beta 2, and will show further gains in future Beta releases.
* [Improved in Beta 2!] Memory usage: Over 300 individual memory leaks have been plugged, and a new XPCOM cycle collector completely eliminates many more. Developers are continuing to work on optimizing memory use (by releasing cached objects more quickly) and reducing fragmentation. Beta 2 includes over 30 more memory leak fixes, and 11 improvements to our memory footprint.

Source: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0b2/releasenotes/#whatsnew
welshsteve
Are there any extensions available for it yet? I've been waiting on this until the full version as I don't want to lose my extensions.
Stubru Freak
welshsteve wrote:
Are there any extensions available for it yet? I've been waiting on this until the full version as I don't want to lose my extensions.

Not a lot. The only important one available that I have installed is Adblock Plus.
welshsteve
I'll wait I think. I use the likes of Firebug, Web Developer Toolbar, DownThemAll, IETab and Speed Dial a lot
InsanePL
Lol i just noticed there is Firefox 3 ^^, going to check it Smile Any new usefull features ?
misterXY
Srs2388 wrote:

i've tried it and you can also get it from mozila firefox's website eh
anyways, it screwed all my plugins, it messed up my bookmarks and wasn't even working about 1/3 of the time! i found it was slower then FF2 som i, like windows would say, "upgraded" back down a notch
Stubru Freak
misterXY wrote:
Srs2388 wrote:

anyways, it screwed all my plugins, it messed up my bookmarks and wasn't even working about 1/3 of the time! i found it was slower then FF2 som i, like windows would say, "upgraded" back down a notch

The extensions aren't updated for Firefox 3. Also this isn't the final version, and it will still contain bugs. The release announcement clearly warns you about this. This release is just for testing, if you know what to test.
misterXY
Stubru Freak wrote:
misterXY wrote:
Srs2388 wrote:

The extensions aren't updated for Firefox 3. Also this isn't the final version, and it will still contain bugs. The release announcement clearly warns you about this. This release is just for testing, if you know what to test.

it messed up my FF2 plugins though. sorry forgot to mention that!
Stubru Freak
misterXY wrote:
Stubru Freak wrote:
misterXY wrote:
Srs2388 wrote:

it messed up my FF2 plugins though. sorry forgot to mention that!

Like I said, those plug-ins aren't updated, so they won't work.
Srs2388
i have noticed a problem with flash layouts on website...
it displays perfect in internet explorer..... in firefox it looks terrible everything is scattered all over the place and it looks terrible.
example.... look at my page in firefox then in internet explorer.
www.myspace.com/srs2388
cybernytrix
I am waiting out till the reall thing comes out. for one thing the yahoo mail website does not work.
I also use a lot of plugins like adblock, delicious bookmarks and noaquint. It seems to bork quite a few of the plugins.

asdf
friuser
A quick scan didn't show this but you can try out it yourself at portableapps.com. They have the beta 3 version 2 there. I used it slightly and couldn't tell the difference but as usual I can't get past the extensions particular the mouse gestures so quickly went back to 2.
Flips001
firefox 3 has some problems with some homepages!
He stregs it !

lets wait for the final
ammonkc
Firefox 3 Beta3 should be dropping pretty soon. Has anyone gotten ahold of it yet?
Stubru Freak
The code freeze was yesterday, so it should be available soon.
erlendhg
Are people here still keeping up with the new Firefox 3 releases?

I see that Firefox 3 Beta 4 has already been released, and no one has talked about it yet?
Stubru Freak
erlendhg wrote:
Are people here still keeping up with the new Firefox 3 releases?

I see that Firefox 3 Beta 4 has already been released, and no one has talked about it yet?

There aren't any fundamental changes, so I didn't say anything about it, but yes I'm still following the releases.
Beta 4 is quite stable, but I've heard there will still be a beta 5.