FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

eclipse plugin development

mike_phi
Hi there all, need some help with a concept I cant seem to hack around in eclipse 3.2.

Plugin description :

I have designed a simple plugin for eclipse which adds a menu itim to the tool bar when I click on my menu itim it presents a drop down menu with various options when I select a optiion it presents the user with a Message dialog ( MessageDialog.openConfirm() ) then a certain operation ABC is performed this works fine

The Problem

when I try to add another MessageDialog.openConfirm() after the "certain operation ABC " is performed the I get a

Code:

org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: Not implemented [multiple displays]
        at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:3400)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.checkDisplay(Display.java:667)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.create(Display.java:780)
        at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.Device.<init>(Device.java:145)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<init>(Display.java:452)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<init>(Display.java:443)

this is due to the Display component as in eclipse 3.2 multiple displays are not allowed

I rewrote my own composite component to implemet the desired second message dialog and wrote a main method just to test it and it runs fine when I launch it independently from the plugin using eclipses Lauch configuration but as soon as I instatiated it in the plugin I get the Display problem listed above.

any pointers

cheers
mike_phi
Hi there all, just thought I would let you know what my current fix is,
basically the eclipse pluggin I am designing consits of two parts a swt/jface java part and a Jython/python Part, likily for me I needed the next dialogue based on a certain triggar from within my python scripts so instead of launching the second dialogue from within the java/eclips domain I designed a stanalone swt widget and launched it from the script i.e. outside the eclipse threading and display control domain and it seems to work perfectly but just for educational purposes if some knows how to get around this from within eclipse would be great to hear, my current guess is I need to sort of manage the thread from the pluggin activator class

cheers