FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Kids jailed for life





paul_indo
Quote:
US leads world in jailing children for life

Henry Weinstein, Los Angeles
November 20, 2007

THE United States has far more juveniles serving life terms than any other country 2387. Israel, the only other country that imprisons juveniles for life, according to a new study by the University of San Francisco's Centre for Law & Global Justice, has seven and has not issued such a sentence since 2004.

In the US, life terms have fallen disproportionately on non-white children, who are 10 times more likely than white children to be given life without parole, the report found.

The study, titled Sentencing Children to Die in Prison, also found that in California, black juveniles are 20 times more likely to receive such sentences.

LOS ANGELES TIMES


http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/11/19/1195321693756.html?s_rid=smh:top5

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-juvenile19nov19,1,5606326.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

This is an awful lot of kids receiving life sentences. Just doesn't seem right to me, surely there are better ways of dealing with crime.
imera
What do kids, or people do to get life? Sometimes they get to short time for their crime while others get to much.

Here we have helping stations for most things, and compared to America we don't need esurience to get help.

And how can kids not do stupid stuff when they are not given any chance, especially the black ones. Most people think they are most able to be criminal because they are black, the same with Muslims or Arabs. So when people think like that no wonder they get a longer sentence.

I can argue with my father on that point, he thinks that the white is the ones that are the best and do less crimes, but that is because when a white person does something the media won't blow it up like when someone that is coloured or has another background does something.

America is the best land to live in if you are rich and have power, if not you are just a burden.
liljp617
imera wrote:
What do kids, or people do to get life? Sometimes they get to short time for their crime while others get to much.

Here we have helping stations for most things, and compared to America we don't need esurience to get help.

And how can kids not do stupid stuff when they are not given any chance, especially the black ones. Most people think they are most able to be criminal because they are black, the same with Muslims or Arabs. So when people think like that no wonder they get a longer sentence.

I can argue with my father on that point, he thinks that the white is the ones that are the best and do less crimes, but that is because when a white person does something the media won't blow it up like when someone that is coloured or has another background does something.

America is the best land to live in if you are rich and have power, if not you are just a burden.

There's no helping a 40 year old man who rapes an 8 year old girl or a person who murders somebody in cold blood. I'm sorry, but nothing can fix that person's brain. They get life (most likely death penalty), because..well, they deserve it for something like that. You can help a person who robs others or something of that sort, but you do not fix a cold-blooded murder or a rapist. I would assume any system that tries to do that has an extremely low success rate.
polis
liljp617 wrote:

There's no helping a 40 year old man who rapes an 8 year old girl or a person who murders somebody in cold blood. I'm sorry, but nothing can fix that person's brain. They get life (most likely death penalty), because..well, they deserve it for something like that. You can help a person who robs others or something of that sort, but you do not fix a cold-blooded murder or a rapist. I would assume any system that tries to do that has an extremely low success rate.


According to who? Are you a psychologist? Even if you were one, do you have any scientific proof?

BTW, Death penalty is a barbarian XX century thing. Europe has abolished it, so did many countries in Latin America.
paul_indo
If a 40 year old man gets a life sentence then he is old enough to understand the consequences before he commits the crime, unless he can plead mental problems and get off lightly.

This story is about juveniles, under 18 or so, they do not necessarily realise the seriousness of their actions, as the boy in the story who went along with an adult and got drawn into a crime.
carlospro7
paul_indo wrote:
If a 40 year old man gets a life sentence then he is old enough to understand the consequences before he commits the crime, unless he can plead mental problems and get off lightly.

This story is about juveniles, under 18 or so, they do not necessarily realise the seriousness of their actions, as the boy in the story who went along with an adult and got drawn into a crime.


Hmmm, so a 17 year old can't realize the seriousness of killing a person??? By law juveniles are under 18. That doesn't mean that because someone is younger that the person hasn't fully developed mentally. It varies from person to person.
roboguyspacedude
If they killed a person I think they justly deserve to serve in prison for life. Their parents should have taught them morals.
tijn01
I think the laws that allow children to be sent to Jail for life without parole are revolting. Firstly, I was always under the impression that prison was supposed to be about reform not punishment. These laws completely contradict that idea. Secondly, one state in America has law that states the children under the age of 18 can't drive because they cannot process the consequences of their actions; this same state sends children under 18 to Jail for life without parole! These two things completely contradict each other. If the state recognises that children cannot process the consequences of their actions, then how can they be held accountable for their actions for the rest of their lives!
Why would these children reform themselves when they know there is no hope of being released from prison?
I completely disagree with the death penalty, but can't help thinking that that would make more sense than keeping these children alive in Jail for the rest of their lives.
But I think both should not be allowed.
smarter
paul_indo wrote:
Quote:
US leads world in jailing children for life

Henry Weinstein, Los Angeles
November 20, 2007

THE United States has far more juveniles serving life terms than any other country 2387. Israel, the only other country that imprisons juveniles for life, according to a new study by the University of San Francisco's Centre for Law & Global Justice, has seven and has not issued such a sentence since 2004.


This is liberal propaganda!

2387 is the number of people (most are adults now) sentenced to life without parole for crimes done while aged 13-17 years.

paul_indo wrote:

This is an awful lot of kids receiving life sentences. Just doesn't seem right to me, surely there are better ways of dealing with crime.


Let's see the age of the "kids":
52.2% - 17-18 years
32.0% - 16-17 years
13.3% - 15-16 years
2.2% - 14-15 years
0.5% - 13-14 years

Almost all (93%) convicted for homicide

More interesting is this table (less than 1 in 10 juvenile murderers received a LWOP sentence):
Year - Juvenile Murders - LWOP sentences
1980 - 1,460 - 2
1981 - 1,410 - 5
1982 - 1,235 - 10
1983 - 1,100 - 33
1984 - 968 - 20
1985 - 1,125 - 32
1986 - 1,334 - 32
1987 - 1,348 - 32
1988 - 1,622 - 59
1989 - 1,805 - 50
1990 - 2,234 - 64
1991 - 2,457 - 66
1992 - 2,470 - 84
1993 - 2,776 - 73
1994 - 2,819 - 116
1995 - 2,338 - 118
1996 - 2,021 - 152
1997 - 1,709 - 143
1998 - 1,407 - 124
1999 - 1,168 - 133
2000 - 1,006 - 91

source: Human Rights Watch - A 2005 report

Why an 17 years old (and 364 days) "kid" and a 18 years old "adult" should receive different sentences for a murder? This is completely arbitrary. Why not 16? Why not judged by 3 psychiatrists team on each case?

As I already said this is propaganda. Another "report" presents the cases of the 73 "kids" aged 13 and 14 years at the time of their crimes. All juvenile criminals suffered abuse and were victims of the adults. But where are the victims? No pictures from the crime scenes? What about the other abused children who did not commit murders?

Read and be manipulated: Sentencing 13- and 14-Year-Old Children to Die in Prison (pdf)

PS: I am for a case by case analysis not for group judgments. Maybe some sentences are too harsh but I guess most sentences fit their heinous crimes.
Lord Klorel
Oh my god, what's the meaning of this. Sending a child to jail, what kind of nut guy has created this?
I am shocked about this.
An adult that's fine for me, they know what could happen when you go on the wrong way.
But a child, NO way!!!
horseatingweeds
Good work smarter, you earned your name with that on.

Lord Klorel, ok, so when fore 17-year-olds break into your house, gang rape your wife, then kill you.... No Way - Not Kids?????

Listen, in the US you're INNOCENT until proven guilty, you get a free professional legal representative or you can hire your own, and people under age (less than 18 ) are not put in the general population. Usually when under age kids go to jail, it is a juvenile facility.

As for life sentences, for this the child has to be tried as an adult, it's not automatic. If you're tried as a minor, life in prison doesn't happen. Believe it or not, someone in the US legal system realized that children don't understand the world as well as adults.

For the child to be charged as an adult, a decision is made before the trial, based on the crime, the kid's age, and how mature and mentally healthy he is. No one in the US is sending 9-year-olds to life in prison for accidents.

Take these idiot in my city a few weeks ago. There were three of them between the ages of 16 and 17. The lured a man into a garage, killed him, cleaned up, and tried to dispose of the body. Why'd they do it? They thought it would be intense. They thought they would get away with it.

They are going to be tried as adults.
_moo_
The way I see it is a crime is still a crime not matter what age the guilty party has.


Obviously only serious crimes are gonna get life without parole, and not matter what age the person is, they are still a threat to society.
Bru, stuffce
It does sound like a 'Shock! Horror! America!' type story. I really doubt that it has much to do with cruel Americans so much as the perpetrators of horrific crimes needing something done about them.

Using horseatingweeds example, those things do happen. Juveniles do them, what do you do the the juveniles when they do? Smack their little botties? Nope, that's illegal unless they are foreigners.

When I was 16 I was in New Jersey and at my cousin's school there was a girl who was babysitting when a kid from the school broke in and robbed the place. When he saw the girl He recognised her, knew she would recognise him, so turned off the lights, grabbed her and tied her up then blinded her with a kitchen knife. He was caught eventually and was 16 years old. What do you do with a 16 year-old kid who is willing to blind a school mate with a knife? I would suggest that a life sentence would be appropriate.

Similarly, a friend of mine had a daughter in North Carolina was was attacked by two guys at a gas station. She was kidnapped and driven out into the countryside where she was robbed, raped and shot at 6 times. One bullet punctured a lung, one went through her eye and out the side of her head, the other missed so one of the kids beat her with the gun until he thought she was dead, but she wasn't and crawled to the road where the same guys saw her (while driving her car) and drove over her but were seen and drove off. One was 15 and the other 16. She survived by the way, and has a glass eye and a fairly screwed up face (nerves all damaged) and no spleen.

They weren't jailed for life though, they each got 25 years for the kidnapping, another 25 for something to do with using a weaon during a kidnapping and a further 25 for another federal crime (driving whilst kidnapping or something). I believe they also got a few years each for attempted murder, rape, assault with a deadly weapon, stealing petrol, etc. I think that's fair; certainly fairer than a life sentence.
Vrythramax
Personaly I think the punishment should fit the crime. Look at how many young people commit crimes that get an adult a life sentence and they are only jailed until they reach thier 21st birthday.

Look at some of these so-called gang members who rob, steal, and commit premeditated murder with full knowlege of thier actions....and get away with it simply because they are not 18 yet.

Let the punishment fit the crime...it's not like they are locking up 10 year olds for playing with daddies gun and blowing the babysitters head off.
Related topics
Jackson - Not Guilty
[OFFICIAL] World Of Warcraft - No new topics about this
Talk about your children...
Rich Kids
Teach your kids these two things please
Do kids think the same way as adults?
Does time fly?
Life without the Internet!!!
Paraphilia
Scott Breaths Life Into Frihost: 2 Effed Up News Stories!
Poll: Do you have "gamer" friends in real life?
Whats the purpose of life!!!
Save the Planet: Have Fewer Kids
How often do you say those three words?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Discuss World News

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.