FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Downgrading Vista PC to XP

murdipurnama
Seems there is a fair amount of resistance to Vista. Microsoft is quietly offering an XP downgrade option to PC makers:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-6...ml?tag=nl.e539

Of course, I'm expecting pretty complicated processes, since this IS a microsoft product...

EDIT:
it says that the link is unavailable, 404 not found zomg!
Peterssidan
The link is broken. It's dots in the middle of the url.

Are you sure this is a downgrade? Look like a upgrade to me.
badai
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-6209481.html

Quote:
The XP alternative for Vista PCs

While Microsoft is still pushing Vista hard, the company is quietly allowing PC makers to offer a "downgrade" option to buyers that get machines with the new operating system but want to switch to Windows XP.

The program applies only to Windows Vista Business and Ultimate versions, and it is up to PC makers to decide how, if at all, they want to make XP available. Fujitsu has been among the most aggressive, starting last month to include an XP disc in the box with its laptops and tablets.

"That's going to help out small- and medium-size businesses," Fujitsu marketing manager Brandon Farris told CNET News.com.

Hewlett-Packard also started a program in August for many of its business models. "For business desktops, workstations and select business notebooks and tablet PCs, customers can configure their systems to include the XP Pro restore disc for little or no charge," HP spokeswoman Tiffany Smith said in an e-mail. She said it was too soon to gauge how high customer interest has been. "Since we've only been offering (it) for about a month, we don't really have anything to share on demand."

A Microsoft representative confirmed there were changes made over the summer to make it easier for customers to downgrade to XP. Under Microsoft's licensing terms for Vista, buyers of Vista Business and Vista Ultimate Edition have always had the right to downgrade to XP, but in practice this could be challenging. In June, Microsoft changed its practices to allow computer makers that sell pre-activated Vista machines to order Windows XP discs that could be included inside the box with PCs, or shipped to customers without requiring additional activation. Microsoft noted in a statement that neither it nor the PC makers are "obligated to supply earlier versions to end users under the end user licensing terms."

While there is always resistance by some to move to a new operating system, there appears to be particularly strong demand, especially from businesses, to stick with XP.

One of the challenges, for both businesses and consumers are Vista's hefty graphics and memory needs.

Lenovo, for its part, has details for its downgrade program on its IBM ThinkPad Web site.

Dell spokeswoman Anne Camden said Dell has been offering businesses that have a Premier Page set up the option to order systems with XP, Vista or Vista with XP downgrade rights. There is no extra charge for the downgrade rights.

"We've been offering it and we're still offering it," she said.

HP, Gateway and others also still sell machines with XP on them, nearly a year after Microsoft first started offering Vista to businesses. Vista went on sale broadly to consumers in January, at which point XP largely disappeared from retail shelves.

However, demand for XP has remained. In April, Dell brought XP back as an option even on consumer PCs.

There is an issue, though, over how long PC makers can keep selling machines with Windows XP as the preloaded operating system. Microsoft is requiring large PC makers to stop selling XP-based systems as of January 31, though some PC makers would like to sell XP machines for longer.

"We're all lobbying for it," Farris said.
eznet
I know awhile back that Dell and HP were forcing buyers into the Vista OS, often employing deceptive labeling of hardware as "Vista Only" even though it functions comparably in XP. During that time I bought a brand new HP DV6000t... with Vista of course... I tried to like it, I really did, but I couldn't. I have been a windows user since DOS and Windows 1.0. With the release of ME, MS forced my hand into dabbling with Linux and Alternative systems (I really liked BeOS and ran it as my primary for about a year) and finally with the release of Vista they have turned me into a 99% Linux user.

Now on my Vista only notebook I have XP and Ubuntu with all hardware functioning Smile "Vista Only" my butt.

Not to go on a "knock-Microsoft" rampage, I just think that they could have done a better job of upping the ante with Vista. XP is a better system hands down and is what... a 7 year old os? Hopefully they can do better on the next one and win back some face Smile
aningbo
lol.. whatever may be the reason, i'm gonna stick to XP for a year or two. haven't been able to upgrade my systems! lets see what happens next. i admit, VISTA is far far superior to XP though.my personal opinion
eznet
I wouldn't say "far far".... or "superior" for that matter. I think in the long run, Vista will pan out to be another Windows ME - dropped after just a couple of years and replaced with the next new one... When Windows ME came out, MS touted it to be the next best thing since sliced bread and when it hit pcs across the world it was shown to be just another POS software title designed to bleed consumers pockets... I think that Vista will either A)Come out with a HUGE service pack that will basically make it into another OS altogether or B) (the more likely scenario) it will be replaced within 3 years with another, more stable OS. If you surf the MS boards there is already talk of abandonment by core MS members.
carlospro7
hmmm, doesn't sound like a 'downgrade' to me. If anything, it's an upgrade.
silverdown
Very interesting to me, I never thought anything like this would happen. I guess they want to make everyone happy and try to push vista to make some more money. It would be cheaper just to make another version of XP with better layout but same software. Anyhow thanks for sharing.
lethaltriad
There is supposed to be a release of Windows XP SP3 some time next year I think and they say there is noticeable speed increases over previous builds of XP. For example Microsoft Office Suite loads up about 10% faster on the SP3 so looking forward to the new service pack release next year Very Happy Never used Vista except at my friends house.. Heards its too buggy for my audio and graphics apps so I stuck with XP.
eznet
lethaltriad wrote:
There is supposed to be a release of Windows XP SP3 some time next year I think and they say there is noticeable speed increases over previous builds of XP.

Thats the word on the street, but according to Paul Thurrott's site the update will only include Network Access Protection compatibility, Product Key-less install option, Kernel Mode Cryptographics Module and "Black hole" router detection algorithm.... So I guess we will have to wait and see... Unless anyone has anything specifically from microsoft
Indyan
carlospro7 wrote:

So true. I recently bought a dell lappy that came preloaded with vista home basic. The first thing I did was to get rid of Windows Vista from it.
kiran_n444
vista's only good for freezing, downgrade to XP and wait for Windows 7 which apparrently has a 25mb core compared to vista's 4.5 Gb core? I'd hope this runs faster. Windows XP and 98 FTW
Magicman
I think I am definitely going to wait out Vista because I still have XP machines that are running fine. I don't want a buggy new operating system that won't run my programs fast enough.
eznet
Magicman wrote:
I think I am definitely going to wait out Vista because I still have XP machines that are running fine. I don't want a buggy new operating system that won't run my programs fast enough.

Prolly a good move. It is funny, out of the things that MS did promise with Vista, if you notice their advertising never bragged on Vista's "blazing speed'. Personally, I think they needed a new cash cow because the PC market had become saturated with XP and so in order to compete with the pretty eye candy provided with Mac OS (and later (now) Linux+Compiz) they came out with the hungry monstrosity that is Vista. Funny thing is, Areo (Vista 'pretty' stuff) doesn't look that good and kills your computers resources - makes everything slow all the time. Funnier thing is that with free Linux, if eye candy is what you want you can run compiz and it blows all visual desktops out of the water and uses comparatively little resources.
I consider XP to be a pretty solid OS. It is tough and usually easy to repair if you know what you are doing. I have personally moved to Linux - funny thing was, I was happy with XP. I would consider myself to be advanced in my XP experience, but when my newest laptop came with Vista, it was enough to make me switch to Linux instead of buying another copy of XP. So, at least from customers such as myself, the Vista release only served to loose already satisfied customers.

Doh MS!
otiscom
Hang on to XP as long as you can.
spykE
Haha, pretty funny, didn't know this was possible and that through the legal way via Microsoft!! Haha Smile.
Flips001
lol!!!!!!!

Windows Vista is not good! A lot of programm dont work on Vista "This Programm isnt Vista compatible"
lol a downgrade is very funy!

Maybe they make it better when the Service Pack comes out!

But Microsoft will release a new OS in 2010!?

lol
Studio Madcrow
Going from Vista to XP is only a downgrade on the visual front. Otherwise, I'd say that it counts as an upgrade...
eznet
Studio Madcrow wrote:
Going from Vista to XP is only a downgrade on the visual front. Otherwise, I'd say that it counts as an upgrade...

My understanding of the improvements of Vista over XP is VISUAL - not a whole lot else. Most all new real features, such as WinFS, were pulled before release and AREO, the visuals, were left. Although the visuals are mildly amusing and eye appeasing, on most computer upgraded from XP they take a terrible toll on the system resources, causing a previously fast computer to seem sluggish. Not only this, but new computers loaded with Vista run far slower than would be the case with XP and so you have a piece of hardware that looks slightly prettier but runs as fast as your old XP machine, the specs of which are half as much. An example of such is when I loaded my dual core laptop, which was 'designed for' vista, with XP it began booting MORE THAN TWICE AS FAST and it now loads applications more than twice as fast. I personally will be sticking with either Linux or XP as my OS as Vista really just brings nothing to the table worth having (aka AREO). IMHO.
loonix
carlospro7 wrote:

LOL I saw the title of this thread and thats exactly what I was gonna say. So umm what he said =)

*points*
bigdan
eznet wrote:
I wouldn't say "far far".... or "superior" for that matter. I think in the long run, Vista will pan out to be another Windows ME - dropped after just a couple of years and replaced with the next new one... When Windows ME came out, MS touted it to be the next best thing since sliced bread and when it hit pcs across the world it was shown to be just another POS software title designed to bleed consumers pockets... I think that Vista will either A)Come out with a HUGE service pack that will basically make it into another OS altogether or B) (the more likely scenario) it will be replaced within 3 years with another, more stable OS. If you surf the MS boards there is already talk of abandonment by core MS members.

I'd agree with that. I wouldn't subject my current computer to Vista as it is.

Maybe if I had to buy a new computer, and only then if MS fixes the faults with Vista.
Craeft
murdipurnama wrote:
Seems there is a fair amount of resistance to Vista. Microsoft is quietly offering an XP downgrade option to PC makers:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-6...ml?tag=nl.e539

I just got done building a new system for gaming and design only. And all I can say is I researched extensively. I went as far as going to college campuses and asking computer majors, computer dept. chairs, and random students, as well as anyone I saw in coffee houses about their views on Vista. EVEN the ones who LIKED it said, "Don't do it. You will regret it." So... I went with XP x64 bit and I'm pretty happy with it. I've never really been an XP fan (stuck with win2K up until this very recent build), but so far, it's pretty good! There are some programs that I can't use on the 64 bit system which is REALLY a bummer (like my very expensive Adobe Premiere), but that's to be expected. I hate to have to consider rebuying some of them, but in the meantime, I can still run those ones on my 32 bit 2K system and transfer the files over if I have to. Sucks, but that's what you get when technology takes a massive turn like it has, everything going 64bit and all that.

So in short... from what I have found, yep. Vista is full of fail. Reminds me of the M.E. incident.
Craeft
Flips001 wrote:
lol!!!!!!!

Windows Vista is not good! A lot of programm dont work on Vista "This Programm isnt Vista compatible"
lol a downgrade is very funy!

Maybe they make it better when the Service Pack comes out!

But Microsoft will release a new OS in 2010!?

lol

A lot of proggies don't work only because it's 64 bit. If you grab the 32 bit system, chances are they would. Then again, since so many proggies are registry dependent, I could be completely full of bovine feces.