FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Microsoft confirms that XP contains random number generator

murdipurnama
Microsoft Corp.'s most popular operating system, sports the same encryption flaws that Israeli researchers recently disclosed in Windows 2000, Microsoft officials confirmed late Tuesday. A fix is coming next year in SP3; Vista, Server 2003 and Server 2008 immune.

The researchers, Benny Pinkas from the University of Haifa and two Hebrew University graduate students, Zvi Gutterman and Leo Dorrendorf, reverse-engineered the algorithm used by Windows 2000's pseudo-random number generator (PRNG), then used that knowledge to pick apart the operating system's encryption. Attackers could exploit a weakness in the PRNG, said Pinkas and his colleagues, to predict encryption keys that would be created in the future as well as reveal the keys that had been generated in the past.
hofodomo01
Yes, this most definitely boosts the confidence we place in microsoft lol =/
billgertz
where is the whole article dude? i want to read the entire thing.. Smile
Please post the source.. thanks..
infobankr
Most PRNGs are not secure, it is actually incredibly difficult to create random numbers using only computer generated sequences.

I'm not familiar with Windows, but I know on linux, they gather entropy, aka randomness, from a few different sources: disk activity as well as keyboard and mouse activity. The two randomness sources, /dev/random and /dev/urandom differ in their quality of randomness - random is "more random" than urandom.

FreeBSD supposedly has a more thorough and reliable manner of gathering and managing entropy, though I'm not too familiar with it.

More interestingly, there are some sites like hotbits which offer randomness gathered from radiation from outer space! Smile