FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

dream theater

murdipurnama
please command for this band
a like this band
u??
David_Pardy
I liked them a lot before they released Octavarium.

I thought The Root of All Evil was good, and the first half of Octavarium before they go into the boring, repetitive solo section which lasts 10 minutes.

Then they released Systematic Chaos, and I enjoyed it the first three times I listened to it, before realising just how different it is from the DT that I grew to love, and now I can't stand the album. It probably would make a difference if the recording wasn't so 'lifeless' and 'thin' sounding.

But I love Scenes from a Memory, Awake, Falling into Infinity, Train of Thought, Images and Words, and I don't mind parts of 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
liljp617
They're extremely talented and probably the most technically gifted musicians/band currently. But that immense amount of technical skill and attention to their music makes it boring in my opinion. I 100% respect their abilities and talents to create music, but they put SO MUCH time into making to the most perfect song ever that it loses the "naturality" great music possesses. I just can't seem to grab the emotion in the music and make it mean something.

For me, it's like trying to listen to people like Vai, Satriani, Petrucci, etc. play guitar, but their musical brain is so evolved and technically perfect that nothing comes out as sounding natural or emotional.

Maybe that's just me though Very Happy
Guelila
David_Pardy wrote:

I thought The Root of All Evil was good, and the first half of Octavarium before they go into the boring, repetitive solo section which lasts 10 minutes.

Then they released Systematic Chaos, and I enjoyed it the first three times I listened to it, before realising just how different it is from the DT that I grew to love, and now I can't stand the album. It probably would make a difference if the recording wasn't so 'lifeless' and 'thin' sounding.

But I love Scenes from a Memory, Awake, Falling into Infinity, Train of Thought, Images and Words, and I don't mind parts of 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence.

hhmmm
You think Ministry of Lost Souls is 'lifeless' and 'thin'?
Its the exact opposite for me.
David_Pardy
liljp617 - There are better out there. http://www.xplanetx.com - Smile they're an instrumental band with Virgil Donati on drums, Derek Sherinian on keys, Tony Macalpine on guitar for the first three albums. They've 'borrowed' bassists for the first three albums, but for their latest one they recruited Rufus Philpot as a permanent band member and they've used T.J. Helmerich, Paul Gilbert and I think someone else to play guitar.

They are going to be recruiting Greg Howe as permanent guitarist starting next year I think (waiting for him to finish a contract).

I specifically listened to Ministry of Lost Souls when I was trying to see if I could like ANY of the songs on the album and it was the only one that came close, but the answer is still no.

SC = fail
Jakob [JaWGames]
I haven't listened to more than their latest albums and my opinion about them varies from week to week but overall I think they are a great band. Sometomes it feels like their singer lacks a bit of emotion in his voice but that's my opinion.

΄Some of the songs i like the most are "These Walls", "Endless Sacrifice", "Vacanty" and "The Great Debate"
Insanity
I like how it's so technical; it doesn't make it boring at all in my opinion. If you're going to spend so much time making it "perfect," then it's got to be a pretty awesome song, right? Also, subjectively speaking, I just like their overall tone and the atmosphere they give to a lot of their songs.
liljp617
Insanity wrote:
I like how it's so technical; it doesn't make it boring at all in my opinion. If you're going to spend so much time making it "perfect," then it's got to be a pretty awesome song, right? Also, subjectively speaking, I just like their overall tone and the atmosphere they give to a lot of their songs.

Entitled to your opinion and perception of course, but personally, I prefer to be able to feel the emotion or feel the drastic tempo change. I prefer to hear the lead singers voice rip with emotion when they're singing. But of course, it's really not my genre of music to begin with. I'm more of a Pantera/Iron Maiden/Black Sabbath person, so it really doesn't suit me.
Nutteloos
I actually think they did quite a good job on their latest album - the more I listen to it, the more I grow to like it. It's true that it's quite different from what they used to do, but a band can't just keep doing the same thing over and over.

I love how they showed off the bands that influenced them - it's very obvious on Systematic Chaos. If anyone knows Muse and didn't hear the similarity with Prophets of War... well, I don't know, but that was blatantly obvious.
David_Pardy
DT shouldn't try to be Muse. I like Muse a lot, but DT are not Muse, and it needs to stay that way.
Guelila
David_Pardy wrote:
DT shouldn't try to be Muse. I like Muse a lot, but DT are not Muse, and it needs to stay that way.

ummm how is this even related to the topic..?

by the way, my fav DT song = Overture 1928
sooo gooodd
liljp617
David_Pardy wrote:

Maybe they're trying to be Dream Theater? I'm pretty sure they don't need to impersonate other bands...they have some of the most talented musicians in the past 40-50 years.
David_Pardy
Sigh...

Please read the comment before my previous one regarding Muse.

Also, listen to Muse for yourself.
liljp617
David_Pardy wrote:
Sigh...

Please read the comment before my previous one regarding Muse.

Also, listen to Muse for yourself.

Because they model a song (in your opinion) off of Muse doesn't mean they're trying to be Muse...
David_Pardy
Ok, I'll explain it in plain English for you:

A FEW songs on Octavarium and Systematic Chaos are songs which are modeled off Muse songs. They are a poor rendition of Muse's style. In my ears, they sound terrible. I say "Dream Theater should not try to be Muse" as it covers the base of saying "Dream Theater should not try to SOUND LIKE Muse" as that does not completely emphasize the point I was making.
pet-virus
David_Pardy wrote:

Seconded. I know a few of my friends feel the same way about it aswell. But they're a great band.
soldeinvierno
I love the way they evolve their style and don't get stuck in a single type of songs. I don't like that much their heavy dark stuff (Awake, Six degrees of inner turbulence or Train of Thought). I enjoy much more albums like "Images and Words" or "Scenes from a memory". Their last twoo albums are pretty good. "Octavarium" has a lot of things to think about and "Systematic Chaos" is simply superb
Nutteloos
Admittedly, the last album needed some time to draw me into it (especially Dark Eternal Night, and Prescence Of Enemies) but now I absolutely love it. Just as I do the others. The good thing is that each album is different, although some fans have a hard time accepting that. (no offense)
David_Pardy
I don't have a problem with them doing different things, but to me Systematic Chaos just seems empty, as though they've finally lost inspiration.

Considering I love Awake, FiF, Scenes, I&W, ToT - all of which sound completely different from one another - I have no problem accepting their different styles Smile.
Devil186
This band has everything!!

John Petrucci probuly one of the greatest guitar players of the modren day that guy can shred Very Happy
I think this whole band tho has just great chemistry they all went to a music school (berklee's im pritty sure) and most there songs are very complex but sound great... There new album is a bit "meh" the singer could have done better I say.
mattchun
yes, they have everything.
lovian
my favorite DT album = Images And Words - Metropolis Part 1, I like John Petrucci... guitarist so cool
Nutteloos
The solo albums from their keyboardist, Jordan Rudess, are pretty awesome too. If you like the instrumentals from Dream Theater you should definitely give it a try.