FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem with external HD (USB)

MrBlueSky
Since a few days I have the following problem with my external USB Haddrive (Freecom):

When I boot Windows I can't access the drive, and the Device Manager reports: "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

After some searching I tried this:
- Unplug the drive
- uninstall all USB devices in the Device Manager
- reboot
- Plug in the drive

Sometimes this works (but after another reboot the drive again doesn't work, and I have to repeat this), and sometimes this doesn't work.

Does somebody has a possible solution I could try, or suggestions to further diagnose the problem?

--edit--

The drive doesn't work under Linux either.
fiendskull9
could be some corrupted sectors maybe?

you should try backing up the HDD (sounds silly if your ext. hdd is already a backup Razz), and then reformatting it and then re-instating the files on the drive

this could fix the problem
mystzero
Do you encounter the same problem when you attempt to connect the same drive on another PC?
MrBlueSky
fiendskull9 wrote:
could be some corrupted sectors maybe?

you should try backing up the HDD (sounds silly if your ext. hdd is already a backup Razz), and then reformatting it and then re-instating the files on the drive

this could fix the problem

Yes, as soon as I get access to the HD again, I will backup all important stuff. But since yesterday the drive doesn't work at all, not even with the method from my previous post.

mystzero wrote:
Do you encounter the same problem when you attempt to connect the same drive on another PC?

I don't know yet. But I have the same problem with Linux. I will try the drive on another PC, and see if it works.

-- EDIT --

Tried it on another PC. Same problem. So it's a hardware problem of the drive. Now my biggest problem is how to get some important files of the drive. All suggestions are welcome.
dickyzin
Why don't you try putting your external hard drive in another external hard drive case?
The cases are quite cheap these days.
Jaspa
From past experience I found that by taking the hdd out of the external casing it was possible to use it as an internal secondary drive (or primary). This should enable you to retrieve any necessary files.

In fact, when I built my sons Pc, I found that it was cheaper to purchase a larger external hdd and scrap the case (they were on sale at the time Very Happy ) than it was to buy a smaller internal one.

This will only work if your main-board has the appropriate connection (IDE or SATA). But these days they usually do.

Or of course, as dickyzin suggested, a new external case.
MrBlueSky
Thanks dickyzin en Jaspa. I think I am going to try to use it as an internal drive. If it works I can at least get my files back, and maybe put it in a new case.
MrBlueSky
Of course I didn't miss my beloved files as much as I thought I would, so it took while. But I finally put the drive in a new case, and it works. Excellent Dancing
dickyzin
Congrats on your success. The external drive enclosures or cases are dodgy some times, especially the cheap ones. I've already had one broken down on me. Using a new one now and it's not too bad, although I had to restart the drive every once in a while because it wasn't responding.
cvkien
em em... buy a better external case. the cheap one cost around 3 dollar and the good 1 with shock protection and some more others protection cost around 30 dollar. just depends how you see your files. if you think your files is more than 30 dollar, i think you better buy a better 1. of cause the quality is much more better than the cheap 1. and you'll never need to worried of losing your files.
psycosquirrel
MrBlueSky wrote:
Of course I didn't miss my beloved files as much as I thought I would, so it took while. But I finally put the drive in a new case, and it works. Excellent Dancing

Glad to hear it works. I have had the same symptoms appear from both a failed drive and a failed enclosure, so you got lucky!

Always keep backups of your external drives, especially if you ever move them. If a hard drive is dropped even 1/2 of an inch while it is on, you can instantly lose all your files.
MrBlueSky
psycosquirrel wrote:

Glad to hear it works. I have had the same symptoms appear from both a failed drive and a failed enclosure, so you got lucky!

Always keep backups of your external drives, especially if you ever move them. If a hard drive is dropped even 1/2 of an inch while it is on, you can instantly lose all your files.

Yes, I have learned the lesson. Lately I always try to make sure the data I don't want to loose is on more than one disk, so if any disk fails I don't loose anything important. I am too lazy to make backups to cd or dvd. Rolling Eyes
ForceRun
3 Rules of Computing:
Backup,
Backup,
Backup!