FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Asian movies

yimaw
Do you guys like Asian movies, like Bollywood or HK cinema? I quite like movies like 'Hero', 'Once Upon A Time In China', 'Fong Sai Yuk', 'Gen-X Cops' etc. but I don't like those slapstick comedy stuff. But I think Chinese films are getting better

Very Happy Very Happy
pudovkin
Today, there is lots of mainstream chinese films.
Because kung-fu is so popular and because some directors, like Ang Lee and Wong Kar-Wai.

I would like very much to know about regional chinese films. Any recommendation will be really appreciated! Wink
jayzee
well i like watching indian as well as chinese movies..and i agree that Chinese films are getting better the efffects used in the movie and their stories everything is getting better..
alkady
::Spoiler::

Two of my favorites are A Better Tomorrow which is about a gangster who was on the top who then descended to the bottom. One of the gangsters brother is a police officer and obviously made him look bad. They eventually go on a killing spree, Something similar to the Boondock Saints.

My second fav is God of Gambling, Which is extremely funny in a sense since the story is about this guy who is pratically the God in gambling since he pratically never loses. The funny part is he is assigned a ex-PLA Soldier who fought in a brief Vietnam Skirmish by his Japanese Employer because he fears for his life and needs him to bring honor to him when is to challenge a opponent. If he loses, His Japanese Employer would obviously commit suicide, Which he almost did in the beginning with a katana.

Anyhow, The funny part is when the God of Gambler, Sorry I dont know his name since I watched only the subtitles, Gambles against some mob boss after his friend lost alot of money to him. The Mob Boss, Obviously pissed sends his goons which in turn are about to get him in a subway, Until they are about to enter his wagon, The bodyguard is then pops out of no where and delivers a Bag of "Ass-Whupping", What made it funny was he was reading and eating some sort of treat when the goons got a "Ass-Whupping" and complaining they didnt do anything.
kazza
I also hate the Chinese Slapstick Comedies, I swear, Stephen Chau annoys me so much! Same with Jackie Chan and his show off moves! Have you seen HK game shows, they're so LAME! Man, you can say anything to a HK person and they'll laugh.

I''m glad to hear that Chinese movies are getting better. I loved the cinematography of Hero and Crouching Tiger and the storylines are great. There are some really good, less well-known movies like infernal affairs - that was awesome but don't watch the sequels!
MYlibrarys24
Japanese movie

Final Fantasy 7 advent children this movie is a must see but is only purchasable by dvd

this is set 2 years after the game final fantasy 7 and oh is it awsome even if you cant understand jap just get the subtitles on Laughing Laughing Laughing

Very Happy Very Happy Wink
alkady
MYlibrarys24 wrote:
Japanese movie

Final Fantasy 7 advent children this movie is a must see but is only purchasable by dvd

this is set 2 years after the game final fantasy 7 and oh is it awsome even if you cant understand jap just get the subtitles on Laughing Laughing Laughing

The English Version is out, I got it plus the bonus disc which isnt really what I hope for. "It was only a documentary with Trailers you'd probably get in a Disney DVD", But it did come with around a bakers dozen of Deleted scenes. *Sweeet
MYlibrarys24
dude do you mean english speaking version???? please reply and im interested in the purshase of the dvd with bonus disc ect where did you get yours???
Christina17
I haven't seen much of asian films, but I like 'Shinotsuma Monogatari' or called 'kamikaze girls' very much.
It's a very funny film and the actor Anna Tsuchiya is so great!
alkady
MYlibrarys24 wrote:
dude do you mean english speaking version???? please reply and im interested in the purshase of the dvd with bonus disc ect where did you get yours???

The english version has been out for sometime now, Since April 25th if I am correct. I got mines at my local big box retailer, AKA Best Buy, But youll probably find it at Wal-Mart or what ever big box store in your area. It cost $25.99 CDN, Probably cheaper where you live.
driftingfe3s
I've watched a bunch of korean movies. If anyone is up for a good romantic comedy watch "My Sassy Girl". If anyone has seen a korean movie they've probably seen that one. The upcoming moive The Lakehouse is actually an american remake of a korean moive called "il mare". Besides korean moives I watch ocasional sci-fi japanese moives but thats about it.
PeterWu
As for the movies you all mentioned, yea they're "Chinees movies" but they are not representative of the good chinee movies that are out there.

Movies like Hero, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and all of the slapstick martial art films are the highly highly commericalized material that is specially packaged for westerner viewer enjoyment. It's sad to see the Chinese people explointing their stereotypes in order to cash in, but you really you have to see these films for what they are. It's like calling X-Men 3 a representative American film when others such as Schindler's List, Citizen Kane, Fight Club, V for Vendetta, and other great films both modern and earlier exist. Those are the true films of American fimlography, and so before anyone really can comment on chinese movies ya'll should watch some of the greats.

Anything by these two directors befroe 1995 is good. Chen Kai Ge/ Zhang Yi Mou. They are known as the leaders of the Fifth generation of chinese directors to graduate from the Beijing movie school post cultural revolution. Their films are powerful and really really worth watching!

Check out "To Live" and "Beijing Bicycle. "by Zhang Yi Mo, hands down my favorites.
NewGuyinTown
MYlibrarys24 wrote:
Japanese movie

... Advent Children is not a movie we're talking about. It's animated! There are no actors.

The last Korean movie I watched is Popcorn.
The last Chinese movie I watched is Chor Lau Heung.

My parent's friend stopped letting us borrow Chinese videos. I can't read Chinese, so I don't know where to get them. Therefore, I stopped watching Chinese movies.
bladeron
yes, i watch a lotta bollywood movies and chinese movies which include all the kung fu movies done by jet li

in fact i'e got a personal copy of all his movies which include hero, legend, fearless, once upon a time in china, master, rebel, evil cult.......& so on

some of the jackie chan movies are also good like the drunken master, snake in the eagles shadow, city hunter.....

in short i m a huge fan of kung fu movies
planetasian
I love chinese movies!! Laughing
photographerguy
The latest big screen hollywood are pretty good - Crouching Tiger, House Of Flying Daggers, Hero, Memoirs Of A Geisha (my wife made me watch it, pretty slow, but interesting. more of a girlie flick)

Some of the older John Woo Chow Yun Fat and Jet Li are pretty good.

The Killer
Ichi The Killer (really twisted)
Hard Boiled
Once A Thief series by John Woo

Bruce Lee will always be a bad a$$

Anything with Kobe Tai is good (ha ha)
pudovkin
HAHHAHHAA
Kobe Tai is definetely good!
carolinehjkim
Asian movies are fun. (maybe it's because I'm asian)
I especially like chinese martial arts movie with ziyi zhang. She's so amazing!
angelussum
eh - i don't really like ziyi zhang, and i didn't really find crouching tiger hidden dragon that good...

in general, i think that asian movies haven't been necessarily getting better, but simply, getting more publicized in western countries. in fact, i would say that the film industry has been going downhill, with the exception of a few select. personally, i don't know how much of these 'western-advertised' movies reflect the real film industry of the asian community.
opuris
Those films like 'Hero' are kinda showing off. The socalled mainstream in chinese films nowadays is chasing the perfect visual art. A presumptuous guest usurps the host's role. Sometimes, the vision is over the meaning, like House of Flying Daggers(2004) whose script was quite poor.

Still, there're some directors in China following their own view of the world and using their own skills to portray the story. Peacock is a good film out of "mainstream", for instance.
shinnoyami
I recently saw Samaritan Girl, a korean movie. it was pretty awesome because it didn't follow the mainstream hollywood formula of story telling (Ie: guy has problem, wants to solve or attain a goal, people try to stop him, guy reaches his goal, happy ending)

Movies can be animated, why would they have an animated category at the Oscars if it didn't count?
goansfr
I'm a big fan of Bollywood. Maybe because i'm indian lol and u can see it by my avatar ( Preity Zinta & Rani Mukerjee)
I fall down in Bollywood when i saw for the first time "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai", and by the same time fall in love with Kajol
bewolff
There a gagle of Chinese films which always stick close to the "kung Fu" theme which is a disappointment. I would like to see more movies that show the real asia. Eat Drink Man Woman is one that came out of Taiwan a few years ago. It was really good. No Thieves Under Heaven CN and Kung Fu Hustle HK are to good ones of recent years which actually have something more to offer than kung fu, though they do serve that up as well.

Brokeback director is off making too many 'American' movies. He needs to go home and make some good Chinese movies. They always talk over here about the next generation of directors.

I have always liked time travel movies and so I am considerably more forgiving in this area. With this explanation, I will say that a few years ago there was a Japanese time travel movies, title of one word, which was good in several ways. What was it called? Hmmm...
bewolff
Are those final fantasy movies ever put into English?
Mysterious Euphony
I fell in love with My Sassy Girl when I saw it with my friend Tiffany. We were gallivanting around her townhouse one day, and then we watched it. I was eating a Big Mac at the time, and almost choked when I was laughing. Imagine it ... death by Big Mac. LOL.

But seriously. That movie is the most hilarious film I have ever seen. It's filled with comic fun, contradictions, and some of the themes are even repeated with funnier impressions and influences each time. I loff it. Smile <3
inman
I love Jackie Chan movies. He is the greatest martial artist cum director cum singer cum actor.

Then there is Tony Jaa from Thailand who made Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong. An amazing Muay Thai talent but a below average actor.
vln004
if you're into mafia/ganster movies try watching:

friend (korean movie)
this movie has a very good story and very good actors. Lots of stabbing, although i would've liked to see more.

oldboy (korean movie)
ermm.. crazy movie! it is one of the best movies, lots of action, lots of twists. this one is a must see.

battle royale (japanese movie)
this is kindda old, but it's still good. Lots and lots and lots of shooting and gore. The story is simple and easy to follow, but the action is extremely good.

if you want to watch more gansta movies, then you should watch
city of god (umm.. south american movie)
hardcore ganstas in this movie. extremely extremely good.
calvinchin
Hi there,

It has been years that Hong Kong did not produce good movies... then
it turns out Korea and Taiwan movies attracting people...

Now it's time for HK directors to produce better and more meaningful
movies.
Alienz
Yes I do like asian movies. Mostly Hong Kong and Japanese movies.
crimson_aria
I love Asian Movies! Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. They're really great.
Chmura
asian movies are good.
i just saw fearless 2 days ago with english subtitles, great movie!
it is suppose to come out in usa sometime before the end of this year
pudovkin
I think the coolest thing about this is because the films are actually available.
With p2p technology, getting films from different cultures became much easier. I recall the times I had to go to very specific film festivals to have an unique oportunity to see, for example, a film like "Nohoi Oron" (a belgian-mongolian production).
filet
i favour asian movies coz tired of watching western movies..need different styles approachs settings ..and surprisely they are really good in showing different types of filming or approach
serazat
I have not seen many Asian movies but those I'm thinking of seeing definitely
My Sassy Girl
Silmido
Taegukgi
Oldboy
Samaria
scryoko
Hm... I've only ever seen one, ah, Japanese movie and it was "Memoirs of a Geisha," which I thought was excellent. *nods*

Other type of Asian movies I watch are Chinese movies. I actually watch more Taiwanese drama than HK... Well, some of my utmost favorites are "Heavenly Sword, Dragon Sabre" (the 1994 version), "Qing Long Hao Han ('Blue Dragon' I think is the name?)," and "Romance in the Rain" (2003), (god I simply love the three aforementioned movies to death... I could watch them over and over and fall in love with the movies and the characters all over each time... *sighs in happiness*).

In addition to the movies above, I also love HK's "Legendary Four Aces," "Lady Flower Fist," "Hua MuLan (the 1997 or 1998 version)," the *series* version of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (not the two-hour movie type version that's in English...)," Fearless" (and many other Jet Li movies -- especially those when he plays as Wong Fei Hong), "Crimson Sabre," the 2001 HK version of "Heavenly Sword, Dragon Sabre (and actually, the, ah, 2003 mainland China version wasn't bad either -- but I still think they don't compare to the 1994 version... *sighs dreamily* but that, of course, is my opinion *grin*)."

Hm.. that's all I can think of at the moment. ^__^

Regards,
-- scryoko
guhuai
I love chinese movie and japanese cartoon
gentleboy
goansfr wrote:
I'm a big fan of Bollywood. Maybe because i'm indian lol and u can see it by my avatar ( Preity Zinta & Rani Mukerjee)
I fall down in Bollywood when i saw for the first time "Kuch Kuch Hota Hai", and by the same time fall in love with Kajol

Embarassed I am also a big fan of Bollywood Movies maybe just bcoz i am also a Indian an i am proud to be one.
Indyan
Being from India its only natural that I like Bollywood movies.
abhisek16
I love Bollywood movies. specially comedy films and the films of Amitabh Bachhan.I am a big fan of Amitabh Bachhan. Some of my favourite films are classics like sholey,deewaar and among new ones,I like Baghban,Tum bin & many more.I am also fond of watching the chinese action films. some of the chinese films are also shown in indian movie channels which are dubbed in hindi.I enjoy all those action & comedy films also.
izimngcubes15
Thai movies, like Ong Bak and the Protector, are the best action movies you'll find, it's not fake or special effects no stunt doubles, it's really cool!
imera
I love Asian movies.

Iron Monkey is the latest movie I have seen :0P
Jayfarer
You know that Keanu Reeves/Sandra Bullock move, The Lake House? The original film (south korean), Il Mare, was so much better.
photographerguy
izimngcubes15 wrote:
Thai movies, like Ong Bak and the Protector, are the best action movies you'll find, it's not fake or special effects no stunt doubles, it's really cool!

The Protector looks good. It just started playing at the theaters around my house.

Jet Li's Fearless looks even better.
exarkun
As a asian myself, I practically watch chinese dramas, chinese movie everything. And of course, including japanese and korean drama as well. The latest korea drama I have watched is "My name is Jin San Shun". It is damn funny. Very Happy
QrafTee
exarkun wrote:
As a asian myself, I practically watch chinese dramas, chinese movie everything. And of course, including japanese and korean drama as well. The latest korea drama I have watched is "My name is Jin San Shun". It is damn funny. Very Happy

Hey, if you haven't already Exarkun, I recommend you watch the korean hit movie "My Sassy Girl."
If you like japanese horrors, try out "Ju-on," "Ju-on 2," and "Battle Royale."
bakpao6
i like jackie chan movie:D
that's nice:D
heuheuhe shanghai noon hahhaha
i think chinese movies getting better and better especially horror movies:D
scryoko
Yes, I agree. Jacky Chan's movies are good to watch too. I especially love "Rush Hour" and "Rush Hour 2"; I always laugh every single time I watch them. *chuckle* Hm... "Shanghai Noon" was also good and so was, "Who Am I?" And... ohh! I just remembered. Movies with Stephen Chow in them are good as well. Some of my favorites are "The God of Cookery" (god, them "pissing beef balls" always crack me up when I think about them *laughs hysterically* -- definitely a comedy movie to watch ^__^), "The God of Gamblers" series, "Shaolin Soccer," and a few more that I forgot...

Ohh... and how could I forgot them... "Princess Pearl" series -- part I, II, and III. Good movie. *nod nod* And that is all I can think of this time. ^__^

Regards,
-- scryoko
mattchun
Acturally, most action scene in Hollywood movies are made by we Chinese.

Generally speaking, the best known Chinese movie in any time is always an action movie.
angelussum
I think there's a quota for how much the 'western' world can take in asian entertainment. I read somewhere that House of Flying Daggers pulled in just around the same amount as The Protector. Perhaps it means there's a specific audience for these films.

And I do agree that remakes usually disappoint. The originals always seem scarier, better...
conrutr
hk movie is good
i like hk movie
chinese kongfu
pegasus sword
i love some asian films like ingbak 1 and ongbak 2 also born to fight ans casserhn they are really excellent
JoseRizal
infernal affairs, one of my all-time favorite hk movies, was re-made by hollywood as "the departed".
from what i heard, they did justice to the original.
Lusiphur
Film4 are doing a series of South Korean movies at the moment, which is excellent as my friends are finally able to watch movies I've been talking about for a while.

They have started with 2 revenge movie (Lady V and Oldboy) and R-Point. Am looking forward to seeing what happens.

I am more a MA fan than as Asian movie fan, and I don;t honestly believe that MA films (like the Once Apon a time series, or A Chinese Ghost story) are indictive of true Asian cinema.

Am trying to change that though as some of the older stuff I've watched has been excellent.

I'll start with that Sassy Girl movie you all rate so highly, hopefully play or Amazon have it Smile
exarkun
QrafTee wrote:
exarkun wrote:

Hey, if you haven't already Exarkun, I recommend you watch the korean hit movie "My Sassy Girl."
If you like japanese horrors, try out "Ju-on," "Ju-on 2," and "Battle Royale."

Very Happy
Thanks for your recommendation, but I have already seen it all. I have watched "My name is Jin San Shun" too, it is funny. Now I am catching "Princess Hour".
filet
i watched lots of korean and japanese movies(the latest nana the movie-really enjoyed it though the actress is scary skinny)...
korean entertainment really produced enjoyable comical drama or movie, while hollywood sucks at it-in producing funny movies dont know why they must include disgusting jokes so people laughed at it!!!!!!!!!!!
onemoment
Hero was one of the most amazing movies ive ever seen!
I'm really not a fan of Quentin Tarantino though. Didnt he have a hand in producing it or something?
Coclus
I dont like Bollywood at all. The movies are so predictable and they are all pretty much the same.. Chinese films are getting better because more and more young artists start to express their feelings with making an interesting movie. The mainstream movies are mostly very well produced but not very interesting and not very chinese... I havent seen many vietnamese, japanese or korean movies, so cant say anything about these...
mattchun
I like Japanese movie, know what? They're bloody! hah...
mholdred
I recomend "the banquet". The last Zhang Ziyi movie.
leat397
I recommend a Hong Kong movie called "Exiled" these days. That was a great movie and if you could watch a few times, you may find may artistic and asthestic value in that.. Laughing
dzign
I like Japanese, Chinese and Korean movies, and mostly, comedy genre

Japanese:

- Waterboy : The storyline is kind of simple, Boy students learned and demonstrated Synchronized Swimming, but this movie reminds me the moment of High School, where student has a chance to join any club. If I saw this movie when I was still in High School, I would definitely do something different as well Smile I would be fun to hang out with some friends, facing challenge together and of course, having fun

- Sumo do, sumo don't : Can we imagine that normal people has to be a sumo and fight againts Pro Smile That would be fun yet funny. Another good movie in my study time to push me more and more that people will be able to do something when they put effort and passion into it

- Kikujiro : Very strange movie, but I kinda like it, especially with two motor bikers. The story is about a boy who is looking for his .... I've forgotten, either mother or grandmother Smile As the adventure goes, he made more and more friends

Korean :

Sex is zero : Very funny Korean movie even though in some parts of the movie show sex scene, but it's quite refreshing to watch.

My Boss my Hero : I do like the character of the Boss, cool yet charismatic. But, his two sidekicks are not below his level to bring up the story more enjoyable.

Chinese :

Drunken Master 2 : Drunken Master 1 has attracted me with Wang Fei Hung drunken fist, and Drunken Master 2 is even more. The storyline, the fighting, the bad guys are wrapped together to make the movie even more impressive

Taichi Master : I do like the story behind this movie, how someone get even stronger when he is defeated

Shaolin Soccer : Eventhough the story is "fictious" (Of course it is Very Happy ). The visual effect adds even more impact on the story itself
Kerosan
I watch asian movies all the time. HK action/drama movies are kinda weird because they like to do a lot of flashbacks when you least expect it. Comedy and romance HK movies are really good. It's so pure and not all about sex. Smile
Shewolf
Asian movies?
Well, I love the Chinese movie "Hero", the Korean"Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring", and the Japanese anime movie "Princess Mononoke". They are all among my overall favourites Smile
zamolxes
I think it's very hard to make a solid, quality movie when you don't have a tradition in filmmaking in your country. Lately though, Hollywood filmmaking has spread its know how, and bless its heart for that.
I've started seeing non-Hollywood (and esecially asian) movies that are well done, but quite Hollywood in style... like some Korean comedies I've seen recently. I saw a Thai movie that was pretty well done, in Hollywood style - Ong Bak. I'm not too familiar with Bollywood stuff, so I'll skip it. I've seen Wong Kar Way's movies and they are very artsy and interesting, definitely well done, but that's not mainstream. Hong Kong action mainstream stuff is cheap and wild, just like its american counterpart. Japanese anime is mainstream again, and we have all kinds of movies there, most of them probably cheap to very cheap. But this is a serious industry and we can see its results are mature, well rounded, like Hollywood stuff - now there's a difference between the inteligence of a film director, that of its actors, and the level of experience an industry has. In this respect, one can see very talented actors in very crappy movies, very good directors creating very technically-immature films (immature as level of professionalism of the team and level of filmmaking knowledge of the director him/herself), and also, at the opposite, very technically-well done movies with very little content.
Because there's a difference between know how and idea/inspiration. Great directors might have a lot of inspiration, great ideas, but until very recently, I think, it was really hard to get that know how - from a mature industry like that of Hollywood filmmaking. Hollywood might produce 90% crap (it used to produce something like 99%, so it's better nowadays), but it's well rounded crap. They have the filmmaking knowledge and experience, and this is huge. Just the same, Japanese Anime has a lot of experience nowadays. The one thing that puts me off in general with Anime though is its acting/psychological side. It seems to lack more or less completely.
A friend of mine told me once - that's because you don't understand the japanese people and how they think. I couldn't disagree more with this oppinion that japanese movies are psychologically infantile because japanese people are "different minds"... I think it's because japanese filmmakers are not interested in this issue, they don't care about acting, they care about effect and mood, atmosphere, etc. But if you watch Kurosawa's movies, look at Toshiro Mifune's acting. Now that's a real actor, living proof that japanese actors can do it. Look at almost all the other actors starring next to Mifune and you'll see how infantile, hiperexaggerated and not at all believable their acting is. That is the situation with japanese acting in a lot of japanese movies, very successfully translated to animation as well (unfortunately), and it's a weird fenomenon.
So I think asian filmmaking is a huge industry with a lot of impressive results, but not as mature as Hollywood and it could learn a lot of things from Hollywood, while holding on to its identity (that is - learn the know how, but apply it in a different context, don't clone Hollywood movies - it looks like there's way too much cloning going on, on one hand, and/or not enough know how on the other hand).
zamolxes
Aaaaand, I think there is a general difference between western and asian filmmaking, and this is that western movies are more acting oriented and try to go deep into human psychology, and asian movies are effect-oriented and try to capture the beauty of a landscape or idea or something, without actually doing anything with that image or idea. It's the old action vs. contemplation. But it's not only this. For me, a couple of actors just being in a room and having a philosophical discussion, unless that discussion is motivated by the characters' role and by the story, it's plain bad story and bad acting. And you can see this a lot in Anime (well, yeah, not only here). American filmmakers understood one thing very well, and developped and documented it extensively - what a character/person/human being is. Without creating believable characters, a film's scenes are artificial and unmotivated. Well, there is story as well, besides character. But story is not Hollywood's greatest strength, au contraire. I think asian filmmakers (as well as all other non-Hollywood filmmakers) have a lot to learn from the Hollywood know how, but that shouldn't kill their creativity and originality.
corridor_writers
I love Asian movies, particularly those of the "Martial Arts" genre. I just wated "The Protector" with Tony Jaa, and absolutely loved it!

I lile the movies with great martial arts without the wires and CGI where the actor does their own stunts. By far teh best three martial artists in this area have been (in my opinion) Jackie Chan, Tony Jaa, and Jet Li.

On the latter actor (Jet Li) I also really dig the Chinease epic's he has been doing (it's a bummer he won't be doing any more.) The richness of the movies and the cinematography is mind boggling.
frozenhead
Asian movies improved nowadays. I remember that era where "Martial Arts" or "Kung Fu" is the main display or focus of most of the movies that time (around the 80's). I was really annoyed that time when seeing movies like all they have to do is fighting... fighting... fighting... fighting... till the end of the story.. that's it.. after the protagonist had fallen..

Improved and sensible Asian movies at the present I must say. Idea
Seiji
I watch so much Korean Cinema. I find Japanese cinema to be weak. I recently watched a Japanese filmed called Mizuki and it bored me. The latest Mandarin film I watched was Battle of the Wits. It was pretty good reminded me of Musa since they both were about small cities fighting against a big army.

Korean movies are mostly what I watch now. A few good recommendations are Peppermint Candy, The Big Scene, and A Bittersweet Life. Those are some of my favorites and I'm currently waiting for Voice of a Muderer to come out which is based on a real kidnapping of a famous anchors son in 1991. Its supposedly suppose to be the biggest Korean Movie this year and Seol Kyung Gu is starring it.
corridor_writers
Seiji wrote:
I watch so much Korean Cinema. I find Japanese cinema to be weak. I recently watched a Japanese filmed called Mizuki and it bored me. The latest Mandarin film I watched was Battle of the Wits. It was pretty good reminded me of Musa since they both were about small cities fighting against a big army.

Korean movies are mostly what I watch now. A few good recommendations are Peppermint Candy, The Big Scene, and A Bittersweet Life. Those are some of my favorites and I'm currently waiting for Voice of a Muderer to come out which is based on a real kidnapping of a famous anchors son in 1991. Its supposedly suppose to be the biggest Korean Movie this year and Seol Kyung Gu is starring it.

For those of us restricted to only speaking English…
Are these all imports? Sub-titled? Easily found on Amazon.com or at the local video rental shop? By the titles it would seem that the answer is yes to all, but I have a real hard time finding some of these, and I would love to find and watch some of these.
littletomi714
Asian Movies are great... Even though they are losing two of its top actors either this year or probably next year - Jackie Chan and Jet Li, who are retiring from the film making business. The next movie is both of them together called, "Journey to the West"
Whong
Martial Arts movies are great, chinese ones like Jet Li and so on. Of course Bruce Lee will always be my favourite! Very Happy
daboking
I am also a fan of asian movies, and I like a variety of genres...

science fiction: folks of already mentioned FF7-AC, but might I recommend another Japanese film with stunning imagery and amazing CG as well as acting.... CASSHERN

Comedy: it is HARD to top Shaolin Soccer, in my opinion, though Chow has other great films as well... Kung Fu Hustle is definitely worth seeing, and i hear a part 2 is in production.

Romance: I wish I knew the Japanese title, but I saw a real tear jerker with my fiance, and the english title was "Be With You". It was the most amazing and original story. Characters were believable, acting amazing, beautiful scenes, music was perfect. Unfortunately, there is not an engllish subbed version out there, so if you wish to enjoy this movie, you HAVE to know japanese.
Octaeder
daboking wrote:
science fiction: folks of already mentioned FF7-AC, but might I recommend another Japanese film with stunning imagery and amazing CG as well as acting.... CASSHERN

Wasn't a fan of Casshern. I really hoped it would be better considering the awesome trailer, but it was far too long, contained way to much fake-philosophical BS that tries to sound profound when really it's just repeating tired old cliches and for some reason the director chose to include background music throughout the whole film which completely detracted from any emotional moments...

It plays out like it is... An attempt from a music video director to be taken seriously. Some great action sequences mind, but they were few and far between.