FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Gaming as a Profession?

applejunk
I've always wanted to be in the entertainment/gaming industry, but I'm not sure how I would go about doing this. I know there are programmers and developers but since I'm not that great at math I don't think those two choices would work out very well for me. I'm interested in graphic design but I don't really know the specifics about it like what it includes such as storyboard artists, 3D sculpting, or whatever. I guess another option would be to go website development and advertise for the website. Anyways, does anybody know the specific professions involved in the gaming industry and what kind of courses are required for them? I really like being creative and I would love being part of a team that produced a game is well known such as square enix, but that one seems almost impossible to get into. Please leave suggestions or comments! Smile
cdoggy
try Java Scripting, if you really try, it's pretty ease, try using Moparscape, private runescape, it's hard at first but quicklie gets easier. www.moparscape.org
catscratches
Well, game developing isn't easy so it's not easy working on it. You have to learn the most of it in your spare time. Try to team up with some other beginners and work on a game together.
gibbo
i want to try and go into game development im currently working on a home project on making half life 2 modifications.
enygmasoft
gibbo wrote:
i want to try and go into game development im currently working on a home project on making half life 2 modifications.

That always a good way to get you feet wet, but you are very limited in terms of creativity as to what you can accomplish using game mods. Personally, nothing beats the programming from scratch, which allows you to do whatever you want.
enygmasoft
applejunk wrote:
I've always wanted to be in the entertainment/gaming industry, but I'm not sure how I would go about doing this. I know there are programmers and developers but since I'm not that great at math I don't think those two choices would work out very well for me. I'm interested in graphic design but I don't really know the specifics about it like what it includes such as storyboard artists, 3D sculpting, or whatever. I guess another option would be to go website development and advertise for the website. Anyways, does anybody know the specific professions involved in the gaming industry and what kind of courses are required for them? I really like being creative and I would love being part of a team that produced a game is well known such as square enix, but that one seems almost impossible to get into. Please leave suggestions or comments! Smile

Well, in terms of education for free nothing beats google.com. I fell in love with thegamecreators.com, which amasses a vast amount of useful goodies for the aspiring game creator. In terms of paid education, sadly, my alma matter, ITT Tech decided to open up a game design bachelors after my education was almost completed.
applejunk
hmm thanks for all your replies, but it seems like most of the suggestions in here require playing around with something on your free time. i'm asking if there's a specific major in like regular universities that you could major or minor in to get into the gaming industry?
kicy
This isn't exactly what your looking for, but it is a good idea to have experience or knowledge in multiple parts of the video game field. (looks better on resume & gives you a better idea on how things work)
enygmasoft
kicy wrote:
This isn't exactly what your looking for, but it is a good idea to have experience or knowledge in multiple parts of the video game field. (looks better on resume & gives you a better idea on how things work)

My friend makes a valid point. You can never know too much when looking for work. Its a an interesting and difficult field to get into, specially if you want to get a job at Square Enix, but thats not to say there are not massive amounts of othe ways to get your ideas out using smaller game companies are always much easier to get into.
catscratches
applejunk wrote:
hmm thanks for all your replies, but it seems like most of the suggestions in here require playing around with something on your free time. i'm asking if there's a specific major in like regular universities that you could major or minor in to get into the gaming industry?
Well, you'll have to do it in your spare time. An education doesn't really go all the way.
enygmasoft
catscratches wrote:
applejunk wrote:
Well, you'll have to do it in your spare time. An education doesn't really go all the way.

That is certainly very common, since most schools seperate the focus into 2 main types. Typically the focus on graphics creation or in programming. However, for games it takes a little bit of everything to get the job done.
federicosauretetencabo
Similar problem here! I just want to get into the business but don't know exactly how... i have been told that the best thing you can do is to get some contacts and a porfolio. And to get this it seems the best solution is to study some postgrade on videogames. Does somebody know where i could find info on different postgrade courses? I am from Spain but I would like to go to study outside.

Fede.
enygmasoft
federicosauretetencabo wrote:
Similar problem here! I just want to get into the business but don't know exactly how... i have been told that the best thing you can do is to get some contacts and a porfolio. And to get this it seems the best solution is to study some postgrade on videogames. Does somebody know where i could find info on different postgrade courses? I am from Spain but I would like to go to study outside.

Fede.

I certainly won't argue that a portfolio is an excellent idea. My website is my porfolio to some extent since I post all my gaminng ideas and everything I have created for the game.
ryandeboer
I find the best way to get into the industry is to go to university and do a course that is as close to what you want to do in your desired "gaming job". I did computer science and found programming real-time graphics was the most challenging/fun aspect of the course. I eventually got a local job doing just that. Although we make simulators and not "games" I still get to experience making the engine and all the technical stuff, plus we don't even have to worry about making it "fun".

I used a web portfolio to help get the job. Experience is what they wanted the most though.
catscratches
Experience and a portfolio is in some cases much more important than an education.
wabik90
I've a friend who have some similar interesting as you and he want to get into gaming industry. He's started with Medal of Honor modifications and now he find some crew(people form other countries - he found them on some forum... I don't know where) and they are making a game... as far as I know FPS.

SO if you want to get into gaming industry you have to start from simple, small projects and then make some steps forward until you succeed. Good luck!

Cheers Very Happy
ForceRun
I would say the same as everyone else, just get a 4-year degree in computers and start hunting around. Gaming as a profession is different then becoming a doctor, the path is very open and it is up to you to find connections and get the experance that will hook you up with the game devolopers. Sorry it is not the easiest field to jump into.
enygmasoft
ForceRun wrote:
I would say the same as everyone else, just get a 4-year degree in computers and start hunting around. Gaming as a profession is different then becoming a doctor, the path is very open and it is up to you to find connections and get the experance that will hook you up with the game devolopers. Sorry it is not the easiest field to jump into.

All very true. It becoming almost as hard as being a pro Athlete. Takes amizing amount of talent, along with experiance. Occassionally a little luck also helps, like running into Mr. Miyamoto at Starbucks.
Fake
I wish I could be getting paid as a game tester or something
Would be so cool and i could tell ma mates about it Very Happy
catscratches
Game testing is the most boring part of game creation. Why? Because you have to play the game thousand and thousands of times all over again. Again and again and again. Imagine playing the same game for three years (what it usually takes to make a game). Not very funny is it?

And when you use to do game making in your spare time, playing games gets kinda dull. I'm not saying game making isn't funny, it really is, but playing games gets boring cause you can never focus on the good parts, only the bad. The only interesting thing when playing games is try to figure out how they've made them and why they did as they did. Other than that, it's just plain dull.
web_harman
i heard of anything like this for the first time ..... how exciting it would be if i am generating money by palying gamessss...
Fire Boar
Indeed, alpha testing is not a good career to go with.

However, I think that beta testing is a far better option, in addition to a career. You don't get quite as much money for it, but you will be able to play near-perfect versions of the game, for absolutely nothing. You do it in your spare time. Beta testers submit a report to the game makers detailing any bugs they've found, and get paid for it. Very nice, I think.

Why do companies do this? Basically, it's always good to get a second opinion. People who work for them will have tested the game for ages, in order to get it working as it should, but it's impossible to cater for everyone. They know what to do, and will do just that. Other people don't, and those are the audience. Taking just a selection of that audience gives the company a far broader sweep of bugs.
catscratches
Not only bugs but also what you're supposed to do. The game makers know exactly what to do, no problem. But a normal player might not understand so you'll need to know if they do.
enygmasoft
Game testing is not something I would consider fun, because unfortunatly, I like the latest and greatest gaming experience available, but the fun would only be the first time. Unless by some miracle you get to work on the next Super Mario brothers game.
Yjaxygames
As a proffesion, it would be cool. But many people just spend too much time in gaming, that they play it perfectly. That's just stupid. Like those people that play World of Warcraft almost whole day long.
enygmasoft
Yjaxygames wrote:
As a proffesion, it would be cool. But many people just spend too much time in gaming, that they play it perfectly. That's just stupid. Like those people that play World of Warcraft almost whole day long.

That always true, but sadly my biggest problem is stopping sometimes, because I have to go sleep to go to work the next day. Many a late day I have had due to playing Metroid 3 and thinking I can stop. I cant, I finally simply now have 2 alarms going off, one to wake up, and the other to put me to sleep. But yes, gaming and game creation are entirely different beasts. Making games not nearly as much fun as playing them, but this is by no means boaring. I can not argue that this is very much an aqured taste. But to each his own.