FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Joomla and CMS

dayveday
Hi,

Has anyone had much experience using Joomla or any other content management system (particularly on Frihost)?

I've heard that they can be really useful, but I'm not sure if it's more effort to setup a Joomla system than do all the content management myself (particularly as the website I'm currently working on is already up and active - is it worth starting from scratch again?)

Any comments?
Blix
Just install Joomla on the Frihost servers... it will work fine
Shnelby
What is joomla? I was looking on the site but their explination was somewhat confuzing!
dayveday
You can install it, that's good. What's it like though? Is it worth going to the trouble of installing? Does it really make your life that much easier - exactly how does it work?
charisco
One of the best things about Joomla or any other CMS is that changes can be made by more than 1 person. We are really considering switching our site over to Joomla.
devotchka
@ Shnelby,
Joomla is an open source content management system (cms) written in PHP for publishing and managing content on the web and intranets using a MySQL database.
It makes it very easy to build web sites that allow collaborative editing of content.

@ dayveday

It is fairly easy to install, I always recommend Joomla because it works beautifully!
dayveday
Is it possible to have Joomla running alongside a normal site? I've already got a website up on the server/domain that I want to use - can I install Joomla and gradually move everything over?
{name here}
dayveday wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone had much experience using Joomla or any other content management system (particularly on Frihost)?

I've heard that they can be really useful, but I'm not sure if it's more effort to setup a Joomla system than do all the content management myself (particularly as the website I'm currently working on is already up and active - is it worth starting from scratch again?)

Any comments?

It's absolute trash. Skinning it (by actually making your own skins and not some generic cookie-cutter template) is like skinning a cat. The interface makes me want to hit myself. It makes it seem like its actually advanced when it's just bloated and doesn't really have the power of other content management systems that can make their CP's links and interface fit onto one page of text links. The only good thing about joomla, in my opinion, is that it's easy to install.

I suggest to you Drupal - it does more than Joomla with a better interface and quicker skinning.

Quote:
Is it possible to have Joomla running alongside a normal site? I've already got a website up on the server/domain that I want to use - can I install Joomla and gradually move everything over?

What you want to do is install the CMS into a directory seperate from the site and then move content from the site to the CMS at your own pace. Once you've got everything transferred reveal it.