FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Good fantasy books

PennyLane
I like reading and most of all fantasy. I read all Harry Potters, Lord of the Rings and His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.
Now, has anyone some ideas for other great fantasy literature??
Thank you very much!!
jipmerite
Douglas Adams - The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.

You've already read LOTR. These two are books every literate person should read, twice.
jharsika
deleted
Skkye_Blossom
Tamora Pierce is also pretty good.

I'm running out of good fantasy to read, so I need to compile a new list.
Shewolf
And if you want some real fun you got to start reading "The Wheel of Time" series by Robert Jordan. You will probably giggle yourself through the whole first book, and the ten next. But still, it's nice reading Very Happy
Jakob [JaWGames]
I would stongly recommend you to read at least one or two of Terry Pratchess books about the discworld. They are great and easily some of the most entertaining books a have read Smile
As said the Wheel of Time books are great, but I would also recommend Robin Hobbs books, a bit more serious and still very good books.
jharsika
Jakob [JaWGames] wrote:
I would stongly recommend you to read at least one or two of Terry Pratchess books about the discworld. They are great and easily some of the most entertaining books a have read Smile
As said the Wheel of Time books are great, but I would also recommend Robin Hobbs books, a bit more serious and still very good books.

Terry Pratchett writes very good stand alone books. The only one I read was "The Fifth Elephant" it was hilarious!
poly
Ever heard of Tad Williams? He is the best.. especially Otherland (4 Books with ca 800 pages each) is extremely good..
jharsika
poly wrote:
Ever heard of Tad Williams? He is the best.. especially Otherland (4 Books with ca 800 pages each) is extremely good..

:O I was obsessed with Otherland! I also started to read River of Blue Fire. Never finished though. That is an amazing sci/fantasy series. I also recommend it.
Ankhanu
The Secret Books of Paradys by Tanith Lee, I recall as being pretty enjoyable... though I read them over a decade ago, so I might not think so now.

The Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony was an enjoyable little read as well.
auldwyrm
Ok so I just want to know has any body out there read a book called "dragon's pawn"? It has to be one of my all time favorite books. As far as Other books of course I like Tolkien, Adams and most of the big names. I want to get some suggestions on more obscure books to read. On that note another great book that never got much attention is one called "fire in the mist".
iyepes
I loved "Never ending story" of Michael Ende, which is not a book for children.

He also wrote "Momo", which is better to me, but don't have all those fabulous imaginary characters.
imera
I don’t really know any good fantasy books, I like Robin Hobb ‘assassin apprentice’.

Darren Shan has good vampire books, and a must for those that loves vampires, it’s a whole other vision on vampires. But those are more for teens I guess, but still good.

I will have to save the posts here, I love fantasy books so I think this list is good for me to Very Happy
Yantaal
Tad WIlliam's Dragon Bone Chair.

Ian Irvines is a long series, three sets of 3 or 4 books leading on from eachother, hooked i am, hooked
collin
The Twilight series (Stephenie Meyer) is pretty good fantasy literature.. although it's a bit more of a romance/thriller kind of fantasy story. very good though!
dac_nip
STARDUST?
Bathamos
Some of my favorites have already been posted. X3

Such as Terry Goodkind and Phillip Pullman.

Some others are The Power of Three by Diana Wynne Jones, and The Dark Magicians Trilogy by Trudi Canavan.
PennyLane
Wow, you all gave me some good ideas!! Thanks! I'm gonna search out library (here in Belgium we haven't got a lot of English books, but I'll make some suggestions) Smile
Ankhanu
I recently started in on The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, the first book of his Gentleman Bastard series and it's showing a lot of promise.
kerryworkman
Yantaal wrote:
Tad WIlliam's Dragon Bone Chair.

I have tried to read that book at least four or five times, it seems like it is going to be really good, but there is something about the begining that I keep losing interest and never make it to the meat.

You might try "The Chronicles of Amber" by Robert Zelany a very good series of books. I have read soooo many fantasy books throughout my life they are all kind of a jumble in my head and I am having trouble remembering which is which or who wrote what. When I think of more I will come back and post again.
ddukki
If you can stand reading ye old English, try Milton's Paradise Lost or Goethe's Faustus story. Pretty good, even if they are a bit old and dusty.
c'tair
Damn, all the good fantasy books have already been mentioned, such as A Song of Ice and Fire (big thumbs up for this whole series), LotR, or some of Terry Goodkinds. Those are basicly all of the fantasy books Ive read, maybe you should think about some... sci-fi? When you get tired of all the swords, knights and dragons, its a good thing to take a nice trip to Dune Smile.
Also, dont forget about Pratchett, his books are of the 'fantasy-funny-as-hell-but-kinda-deep' genre, absolutely worth reading.
Nutteloos
Did nobody mention Steven King's Dark Tower series? I gotta admit I haven't even finished part 2 yet, but so far they're absolutely brilliant.
catscratches
jharsika wrote:
2)Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind(good after the first ...4 or so books.....)
I agree totally! My absolute favourite series =) I just wish that the rest of it will come out in Swedish soon. (Maybe I'll have to read it in english but I guess it's too complex for me =( )

EDIT: BTW, thanks for creating this topic. I'll check out some of the books mentioned here =)
ganz
If you are interested and have the time to invest to read the series I can highly recommend a series called the Sword of Truth by author Terry Goodkind. He followed in Robert Jordans footsteps in the style of his books. It's a sword and magic fantasy. Incredible books each in their own right,and well worth the read if that is what you are interested in.

Also other authors in the same field would be Mercedes Lackey,Andre Norton,and Jane Linskold. All of these are worth looking into if you are into the fantasy genre. Those are just a few that I have read, and fell in love with.
tsukiyuuki
Bathamos wrote:
Some of my favorites have already been posted. X3

Such as Terry Goodkind and Phillip Pullman.

Some others are The Power of Three by Diana Wynne Jones, and The Dark Magicians Trilogy by Trudi Canavan.

I love DWJ! I have to say that my favourite book of hers is Howl's Moving Castle - I read it when I was a kid, and have loved it ever since.

I like Terry Brooks Sword of Shannara trilogy and his Heritage of Shannara tetralogy; I haven't read any of his other Shannara books. His Magic Kingdom For Sale -- SOLD! was also really good, in my opinion, though I haven't read any of the other Magic Kingdom of Landover books (of which Magic Kingdom For Sale -- SOLD! is the first).
norbert1
I like to read some kind of fantasy, the kind of science fiction of the 1950's, but this kind of repetoir is becoming rare. I find a lot of the so called fantasy is more like a fairy tail for adults. Some of it is interesting, but a lot is made as a commercial product with a lot books as a next part of... If you go to a library you can find book parts 2,3 and 4, but the first part is always not available. And all the invented complicated names used for magicians and the like, make me loose the understanding who is who is a book of 600 pages and 200 characters.
Nutteloos
Another series of fantasy books I can highly recommend is the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson. The main character is perhaps a bit unusual for a fantasy series but that makes the books even more worthy of a read.
blk3
jharsika wrote:
Some REALLY awesome fantasy books I've read over the years
1)Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin....if you are over 18 Razz
2)Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind(good after the first ...4 or so books.....)
3)The Icewind Dale Trilogy and Dark Elf Trilogy R.A. Salvatore (There are over 20 books about the same character, but these are the only ones really worth reading.)
4)Lost in Translation by Margaret Ball
5) The Thirteenth Scroll by Rebecca Neason
6)Wizard of the Grove by Tanya Huff (Actually a trilogy)
7)Daughter of the Drow by Elaine Cunningham

Hmmm...that's really all I can think of off the top of my head. Well I can think of other ones, but they aren't as great as those I've mentioned! Smile Hope you read some of those!

Nice selections, of this on the list I've read Song of Fire and Ice (its really good, I read that they are gonna make a TV series out of this one.), Sword of Truth (agree with you only the first books are that good). As for the rest on your list I haven't read them yet. Oh and another good series is the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (although he didn't get to finish the series because he died)
Arty
PennyLane wrote:
I like reading and most of all fantasy. I read all Harry Potters, Lord of the Rings and His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.
Now, has anyone some ideas for other great fantasy literature??
Thank you very much!!

The Artemis Fowl series is a great book for Harry Potter fans :O
BlackroseDigitalDesigns
Dragonlance I cant stress it enough. Any fantasy fans life is incomplete without at least reading the first few books. The entire series is well over a hundred books now, by various authors.
Start with Dragons of an Autumn Twilight!!!
simonwest80
Here's my 2 pence:

In my opinion the best fantasy writer is David Gemmell, pick up any of his books and you wont put it down.

Raymond E Feist is also very good, here though make sure you get "Magician" first, if you liked lotr you will love this.

I liked Jordan but really lost interest with the wheel of time series by book 9, some of the characters are so boring.

George RR Martin as well has a very good series

Simon Greens Deathstalker series is really good and a bit different from the rest. And also check out his Conan series.

Most Black Library books - these are based around the Warhammer universe (www.blacklibrary.com)

RA Salvatore, has a nice series from both his own books as well as some in the Forgotten Realms (Dungeons and Dragons Universe)

The others on here are quite good as well, and i also recommend to anyone else on here these authors.
dbershevits
I've read alot of good fantasy books in my time. Some news one that i like reading are:

Pendragon Adventures - D.J Mchale

Bartimous Trilogy - Jonathon Stroud

Percy Jackson & The Olimpians - Rick Rodian.

But, my favorite books are:

Lord Of The Rings
A Wizard In Earthsea
Eragon.

There are some others but those three are the ones who are my favorite.
xavax
The David Eddings series (Is that the correct plural - doen't seem right :s) :
The Belgariad and The Mallorean
Silk2008
My favorites are the Dragonlance series by Margaret Wright and Tracy Hickman. These books in my opinion are as addictive as LOTR. Great characters and all the fantasy weapons and magic that you can handle. Give them a read.
Nutteloos
At the moment I'm reading Robin Hobb's first trilogy (the farseer) and very much enjoying it. Hope the rest of her books are as good, I've got plenty more in store then. Smile
Voodoocat
Edgar Rice Burroughs! How come no-one has mentioned the creator of Tarzan and John Carter? If you have never read his work, follow this link for some free e-books:

http://www.literature.org/authors/burroughs-edgar-rice/